Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

I need to try this version and see how it compares for me vs the v series edition for me
I think I prefer the V series for me. Could be because it's got a softer flex in it, but if gets up in the air easier. Also just more comfortable with it as I've spent more time with it. Should get to compare this week as courses open up.

For me its lower flight by a good margin, but I liked both of them a lot.
Same. Frankly that's why I like it so so so much better than the V series version. Plus the adjustability is nice. Such a fun club.

I need to try this version and see how it compares for me vs the v series edition for me

For me I prefer the GBB. The launch of the V Series was second to none, but my flight was usually a slightly pull cut. The GBB seems to draw for me. I prefer a draw flight.

With the GBB the club feels heavier (D2) than the V Series which is a D0. I also struggle with anything over 42" in my fairway wood (only 5' 4"). So the GBB allows me to choke down a little a still has a respectable swing weight.

If I didn't read the specs I would think the Kuro Kage is about 10g heavier but according to Callaway its 55g and the Bassara in the V series is 54g.

Both great clubs though but if I had to pick one the GBB version.

Another stellar performance by my GBB 3 and 5w last night. I don't know what it is about these two clubs but they just fit me so well and as someone who used to be afraid of fairways, these things are weapons for me. It doesn't seem to matter whether I hit these from the turf or the tee, I see a high ball flight that has a slight fade to it, which is my normal shot shape.

Many people on here know how much I love my hybrids, and how well I generally hit them, but these woods put those hybrids right out of my mind because I get better distance without sacrificing accuracy. At this point I'm wishing I would have looked harder at a 7w instead of the apex hybrid just because I love this line of woods.

Excited to say I've added the 3w to my bag today. Had a fitting to round out FW woods / hybrids for top of my bag. Having hit the 3w a few times at GSmith, I knew I wanted to test it. It was the first FW club and a clear winner. It was by far the easiest to hit from the turf and also had best distance. Ping G was second, and very solid in terms of forgiveness and accuracy. But it just didn't have the horsepower of the GBB.

I also tried TM M2 and XR16, they just didn't compare to the other 2 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having recently put the 3w and heavenwood in the bag, i am seeing much better results from 230 out. That was always by weakness. Too long for irons, but not confident with anything wood or hybrid. Granted, i have made enormous progress over the winter with my golf swing (i probably will drop about 8 off my handicap from October when i get out on the course) but being confident with these clubs makes a big difference also. Case in point, Sunday i was on a par 5, 550 hole. Honestly i'm struggling with distance off the tee with my driver (averaging about 235 or so), so i faced a second shot at about 320 yards out. I pull out my GBB 3 wood, and easily hit it 220 yards leaving me a nice easy 100 yard pitch onto the green. 2 putt for par, which usually is a 6/7 for me.

As for the heavenwood, i haven't spent any time hitting it on the course, but at my shop sim (with flightscope) i'm averaging about 215 or so. This will fit nicely into my club distances where my 4 iron tops out about 200/205. Turf interaction with both clubs has been amazing on both fairway and light rough for me. Looking forward to getting some additional time after this recent round of snow melts.

I have a heavenwood story.

And its not about it and me.

I put my pre-grandaddy HW in the hands of my freshman #2 bag this week. He's a kid who grew almost a foot over the summer and is so long/lanky with a heck of a golf swing, and one of the most impressive passions for the game that I have seen, with a wonderful attitude to boot. He's a pup and hasn't grown into his swing yet, so the distance is still coming to him, but in the next 3.5 years he will be as good as he wants to be, mark my words. Well, he went from driver to 4hy and has nothing between, on the range one day I handed him a J15 hybrid which was donated to the team by a kick ass THP'er and hit hit it OK, but low (19*). On a whim, I habded him my HW setup and told him do NOT look at it, just swing.

Missiles. High, towering, missiles.

Again. Missile.

Again, from the deck. Missile.

Again.

The biggest smile in the world. I told him to NOT beg his parents for one and I'd see what I could do. You see, since I got one in #TheGrandaddy I told Howzat he could have my old (skymarked at a THP get together :angry:) GBB HW head. Well, I owe Erik another club sometime now, as I couldn't not give the kid this club. Today he put up an 81 on aerated/sanded greens in his 3rd HS tourney ever for 4th place, and this club was useful in a few different places, he had total confidence in pulling it out of the bag and its SO FREAKING COOL to watch.

The HW is for real people. For. Real.

Hown are the Heaven woods when it comes to being hook prone? I tend to hook my hybrids and thinking of trying a hw.

Hown are the Heaven woods when it comes to being hook prone? I tend to hook my hybrids and thinking of trying a hw.
The whole reality it that swings cause hooks, not clubs, but the brain is powerful (I was that way with hybrids for a long long time) .

That said though, there's no more bias here than any other fairway woods in my experience.

No worries buddy. I would love to hit missiles too but you made the right call. Just tell him to help keep the trophies coming.

In testing both Heavenwoods (V series and GBB) I found that the V series was strait to a slight fade. The GBB was usually straight to a baby draw. I have a hard time with very light clubs and I think that was the difference for me. The heavier the club seems to help my swing. If I had to pick the GBB version won easily for me.

Had first real practice session with the 3w yesterday. This may be the straightest club I've ever hit. It just finds the middle darn near every time. Even when I miss on to the left, it fades back to middle and when I start it right there is a pretty baby draw. I never hit draws with woods but can with this, and I haven't even played around with the settings.

Oh, yeah and the feel is like butter and it's plenty Long enough.

I hit my GBB 5w great 2day.. The forgiveness is amazing. Nice high flight that flattens out. Those looking at a new fairway wood, make sure you try these before buying. Monitor testing showed i hit my GBB 5w 18* 10 further than my old XR 3w at 15*..... Im a firm believer of lofting up..

I agree with Jman that it's usually the indian that causes the hooks. I'm one who is prone to hooks as well. Hybrids can seem to exacerbate this at times, but I know that it's me. That said, I haven't had any trouble with the HW that I wouldn't have with a standard fairway.

Hit a couple of really nice shots with this club during my round this weekend. I was in pretty bad shape all day (what I get for playing while under the weather), but was able to hit some good ones here and there. The thing that I was most surprised with was a shot out of the left rough after hooking a drive on a pretty long par 5. Ball was sitting ok, but a little down. Choked up just a touch and tried to hit down on it, aiming down the right side to clear a small dogleg in front of the green. Was rewarded with a penetrating baby draw that left me about ~110 in, which is exactly where I needed it to be. I think once I get my swing grooved and my distances sorted out when it gets warmer, this club will be a boon as it's one that I'm instantly comfortable with trying to hit different shots with. I like the GBB compared to the V-Series for me as it just fits my eye better and I'm not seeing the ballooning on some shots that I did with the V-Series HW. I think that's partially me and partially the head shaft combo. In a utility spot like this, splitting my 3W and my irons, I also like that it's adjustable so if my swing changes I can grow with this club from a setup and shaft perspective if needed.

Absolutely love the GBB Heavenwood. Long and high and straight. Now I just need to fill the gap from my driver to the Heavenwood!

Absolutely love the GBB Heavenwood. Long and high and straight. Now I just need to fill the gap from my driver to the Heavenwood!

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably end up picking up the GBB 3 wood.

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably end up picking up the GBB 3 wood.

I'm torn between a 3 and 4 wood. Or a hybrid. Need to find a demo day and hit around.

I've got a GBB Heavenwood and GBB Divine Nine in the bag right now, and am having a "Battle of the 3 Woods" this spring between a GBB 3 wood and a Ping G30 3 wood. Hope to give both of these FWs a good workout before deciding on one for 2016. For full disclosure, I've adjusted both of these clubs up one degree for the tryout ...

Mike
MPM1960

Just picked up one of these with a GD AdDi 7X, hopefully it's here in a week or less. I'll update when it arrives

Time to pull the trigger on the GBB Heavenwood. I want to lower the launch from the VSeries a bit, so it is time I bite the bullet.

I had another great day with my 5w. I finally now have a club that i just stand over the ball, pull the trigger and so long as i put a decent swing on it, it goes miles (for me). Ive even started to hit the occasional draw too. Its fun to play with guys that you havent for a while and keep up off the tee with a 5w. I was even getting comments like "Geez you crush that 3 wood!" The look on their faces when they realised it was a 5w was GREAT.

The sort of confidence I have with this club is priceless.

No matter what this club is stuck on my mind ,since demoing . I was seeing great numbers with this club,need to give it a go again. Think these may be in the bag soon

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I had another great day with my 5w. I finally now have a club that i just stand over the ball, pull the trigger and so long as i put a decent swing on it, it goes miles (for me). Ive even started to hit the occasional draw too. Its fun to play with guys that you havent for a while and keep up off the tee with a 5w. I was even getting comments like "Geez you crush that 3 wood!" The look on their faces when they realised it was a 5w was GREAT.

The sort of confidence I have with this club is priceless.
I'm the exact same way with my 5W, I simply love it. I crush the thing but it still goes dead straight. It's an absolute weapon for me.

Hit a back pin on a par 5 from 242 (downwind) and my brother asked if I always hit my 5w so well, I told him I have yet to hit it poorly, and that's the truth.

Only got a few chances to hit these FWs during my round yesterday.

Hit the HW twice. Once as a second shot on a par 5, and once on the long par 4 for the course. After a just ok drive (~230), I had 205 left to a center-ish pin. Pushed it a bit, but it drew back in some. Landed on the back of the green and bounced off. Thought I was choked up a bit but clearly not enough! This club is turning out to be a bit longer for me as the weather warms up... If I can get my consistency down, this club could replace my 4I for tight driving holes.

Only hit the 3W once. Was on the edge of the fairway, and I didn't put the best swing on it. Ended up slicing it off a bit (which is not my normal miss) to the right. Was able to find my ball and get on the green in GIR +1 though.

Does anyone here have any feedback on the GBB 3W with the 60g KK tini shaft? I currently have the X2hot 3W with 60g KK black shaft - and it's been a great fit so I'm looking for something similar if I go for a GBB.

update: I ordered it anyway......get in my bag!

Last edited:
Back