Cable Free for Six Months

Bennet00

Reaction score
Handicap
????
We cancelled our cable service about six months ago in an effort to save a bit of $$ as we primarily watched Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime for regular TV and movie viewing. The thing that is missing in this equation is sports. Is there a good fix out there I am unaware of, or am I going to have to go back to cable to get access to live sports? Online has been hit and miss.....

What do you watch prime thru? Tv app? Fire tv?

We cancelled our cable service about six months ago in an effort to save a bit of $$ as we primarily watched Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime for regular TV and movie viewing. The thing that is missing in this equation is sports. Is there a good fix out there I am unaware of, or am I going to have to go back to cable to get access to live sports? Online has been hit and miss.....

Antenna?

PS Vue that said I have just briefly read about it so don't know a ton about it but I know it does offer sports

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have used sling tv for my sports fix. It has all the ESPN channels and has been ok for me. I also want to just get a regular antenna to pick us network channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have an HD antennae for the weekend network sports and we use the NBC Live Extra app with the firestick to watch my hockey and golf. Some of the apps require a TV provider so we just use one of our parent's accounts. Also have Netflix.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A few years ago we decided to cut the cable bill since we used online streaming for most of our TV watching. I bought a HD Antenna and picked around 100 channels and had pretty much every local major sport I wanted to watch.

I'm on a free trial with PS Vue. It's just like cable. Some markets don't have access yet though. Starts around $30/m...but the package I'd want with the Golf channel is about $55 a month.

PS Vue that said I have just briefly read about it so don't know a ton about it but I know it does offer sports

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I need to find an HD antenna. Can that hook up to all TV's? Or just one?

A few years ago we decided to cut the cable bill since we used online streaming for most of our TV watching. I bought a HD Antenna and picked around 100 channels and had pretty much every local major sport I wanted to watch.

I need to find an HD antenna. Can that hook up to all TV's? Or just one?

I use an HD antenna and use this device here. https://www.tablotv.com/ Allows me to stream what is being pulled from the antenna on any TV or device I have as long as I have installed the app. Also works as a DVR.

I use an HD antenna and use this device here. https://www.tablotv.com/ Allows me to stream what is being pulled from the antenna on any TV or device I have as long as I have installed the app. Also works as a DVR.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

I am going to switch from Directv to Playstation Vue. You get all the ESPN channels, golf channel, Fox sports network, and all the major networks like TBS, AMC, TNT.....

I am going to switch from Directv to Playstation Vue. You get all the ESPN channels, golf channel, Fox sports network, and all the major networks like TBS, AMC, TNT.....
How much is Playstation Vue, Matt? That sounds interesting.

Based on pricing though, it doesnt seem like it saves much money.

How much is Playstation Vue, Matt? That sounds interesting.

To get golf channel. 35 bucks a month. Not even a good deal at all when most cable is bundled with Internets already.

To get golf channel. 35 bucks a month. Not even a good deal at all when most cable is bundled with Internets already.
I pay $116 a month just for DirecTV so $35 sounds pretty damn good to me.

We got rid of Cable 6 months ago. I bought a nice HD antenna which works for all the locals. We also use one of our parents accounts if there's anything we absolutely have to watch through streaming (usually ncaa basketball games).

I'm really worried what's going to happen during baseball season though. Might have to settle for the radio, which wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. Especially with Bob Uecker still calling games.

You need to call them then, because you are way overpaying.
I mean they are giving boxes away for use, so if that price does not include internet, call them and complain.

You need to call them then, because you are way overpaying.
I mean they are giving boxes away for use, so if that price does not include internet, call them and complain.
Yeah unfortunately it doesn't include Internet which I'm overpaying for that through Time Warner as well. I have one more billing cycle for my 2 year contract with DirecTV and then I was going to call. I figured I can't complain too much considering I signed a contract with them but if they don't come down after the contract is up I'll be looking elsewhere for sure.

Yeah unfortunately it doesn't include Internet which I'm overpaying for that through Time Warner as well. I have one more billing cycle for my 2 year contract with DirecTV and then I was going to call. I figured I can't complain too much considering I signed a contract with them but if they don't come down after the contract is up I'll be looking elsewhere for sure.

You can call under contract.
Especially since its coming up. We have D* and pay $71 and it includes a ton including Genie DVR in each of 5 rooms.
Then $49 for Fios that switches to $59 after a year.

You can call under contract.
Especially since its coming up. We have D* and pay $71 and it includes a ton including Genie DVR in each of 5 rooms.
Then $49 for Fios that switches to $59 after a year.
Yeah that price would be much easier to swallow. I'll give them a call after work and see how it goes.

Sling TV helps with sports.

I've been throwing this idea around to save money, but honestly not having The Golf Channel has been the reason for not doing it. For those that use a HD antenna for local channels, what did that cost run?

cutting it to save money always depends on a few things. For me, it's definitely saved money. In the ballpark of 50-60 a month. Internet, Sling, Hulu, and now Netflix(which I didn't use until recently), runs me around 85 a month. Old cable and internet bills were 150ish. Way too high and TWC would not do anything to lower it. So I cut the cord and haven't looked back.

cutting it to save money always depends on a few things. For me, it's definitely saved money. In the ballpark of 50-60 a month. Internet, Sling, Hulu, and now Netflix(which I didn't use until recently), runs me around 85 a month. Old cable and internet bills were 150ish. Way too high and TWC would not do anything to lower it. So I cut the cord and haven't looked back.

How much gear did you buy up front?
And can you give a breakdown of costs for that $85?
I see Sling as $20 or $25
Hulu as $10
Netflix as $10
Amazon as $8
Internet for us would be $50

Not including taxes on any of this and we are almost right where we started maybe a few dollars off and that only gives 1 TV options in some instances.

We are paying about 110 for okay internet and cable. It's bundled through Cincinnati bell, and the internet alone would be about 70 or 75. That's how they get you to commit to both, which i get -- But for me it's better than PS Vue.

Give me sports channels for 10 bucks a month and that's all I'd need, personally.

Back