New Euro Tour Slow Play Rules

For fines, how about they are a percentage of whatever the player earns for that tournament? I am sure I have read something somewhere about a country that applies fines based on how much the person earns

I agree that the deduction of points would probably be a better way to punish players, as a fine only really hurts those with less money than the big names. A 2,000 euro fine to someone like Speith is probably just like a 2 euro fine to you or me

I agree here.
It was interesting to hear Spieth say the group behind was nowhere in sight, so he didnt see the issue. Because that is a HUGE issue in the world of golf right now. That shows that people just do not care about the time as long as they are not pressured.
You should totally keep up with group in front especially when they have the same number of people. Now on course for everyone else if you are a 4some not keeping up with a 3 some with no one behind you not really a big deal as long as you are still going to be under 4 hours or whatever the course pace is.

You cant take strokes because as soon as you do and a fan favorite loses by 1, the golf world goes crazy.
unless he is a 14 year old asian amateur at The Masters

I do think strokes would be the more effective way but I don't think that would be the best way. I also don't think they should go shot by shot to decide on the penalty. If a group is on pace to finish a round in 4hrs and take a little extra time on 17 and 18 I see no reason to enforce it since clearly at that pace they wouldn't be holding up others in the tournament. I really want to see if a big name like Rory or Spieth is making a run to win on Sunday how much they will stick to this on the closing holes.

Since I truly don't know, what is the average time for a round on the PGA tour? I know it's high based on tv coverage but never payed close attention to it.

Lpga takes strokes or in match play loss of hole. In 2012 Pressel lost hole vs Munoz in their match play tournament.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I do think strokes would be the more effective way but I don't think that would be the best way. I also don't think they should go shot by shot to decide on the penalty. If a group is on pace to finish a round in 4hrs and take a little extra time on 17 and 18 I see no reason to enforce it since clearly at that pace they wouldn't be holding up others in the tournament. I really want to see if a big name like Rory or Spieth is making a run to win on Sunday how much they will stick to this on the closing holes.

Since I truly don't know, what is the average time for a round on the PGA tour? I know it's high based on tv coverage but never payed close attention to it.
5 hour twosomes is common

You should totally keep up with group in front especially when they have the same number of people. Now on course for everyone else if you are a 4some not keeping up with a 3 some with no one behind you not really a big deal as long as you are still going to be under 4 hours or whatever the course pace is.

Not sure I agree with you. If the 4-some of scratch golfers in front of my regular guy 4-some is playing at a 3hr pace, there is no reason that my 4-some needs to rush our play as long as we are still on a regular 4hr pace. A few bad shots or lost balls and one group could very quickly fall behind the group ahead playing well and not really be playing slowly.

I say make it hurt after a certain number of infractions, we all have to be to work on time or keep up production paces where we work in the real world, should be no different for the tours.

make it hurt big one time and the rest will take notice, an example, if after a certain number of violations a player will be forced to sit out the next tournament he is scheduled for. I am sure the players will sit up and take notice and it will go a long way to cure slow play.

Not sure I agree with you. If the 4-some of scratch golfers in front of my regular guy 4-some is playing at a 3hr pace, there is no reason that my 4-some needs to rush our play as long as we are still on a regular 4hr pace. A few bad shots or lost balls and one group could very quickly fall behind the group ahead playing well and not really be playing slowly.
No reason for you to rush, just let a group play through if they catch you and there is space.

I really like what theyre trying to do but the fines seem alittle too aggressive

Hit them with a stroke and a fine

On average I imagine a stroke will end up being a good chunk of money if you make the cut. No need to overkill if you go the stroke route with a fine on top.

I love the new rules, but repeat offenders need to be hit on the course, either with a stroke penalty or points taken away like JB said.

And in my mind the golf course works the same way as the freeway. No matter how fast you are playing, if you are directly behind the car/group in front of you, move over and let faster people by.

If I'm playing a 3 hour round, and you come up on me, I will be glad to let you play through.

I think giving a slow play penalty all depends on the conditions that the player is in. I am not a fan of giving the fine when they are on the green putting. If I am Spieth I continue to go through my routine putting and if they fine me they fine me, because I am winning $$$$$$ the fine will not be a problem. And I would not let the fear of a fine keep me from winning a tournament because I was rushed to make my putt.

I think giving a slow play penalty all depends on the conditions that the player is in. I am not a fan of giving the fine when they are on the green putting. If I am Spieth I continue to go through my routine putting and if they fine me they fine me, because I am winning $$$$$$ the fine will not be a problem. And I would not let the fear of a fine keep me from winning a tournament because I was rushed to make my putt.

But the green is where slow play is the worst, that's like saying I wouldn't call PI in the end zone.

It's something and I'm glad they're attempting to address it. The FedEx Points and Ryder Cup idea wouldn't work, IMO. Hell, these guys haven't changed their schedules much since the FedEx came about and even skip a playoff event sometimes. The Ryder Cup idea only really matters to maybe 15 that have a legit shot to make the team. It would be awesome to see the player's committee come up with something.

But the green is where slow play is the worst, that's like saying I wouldn't call PI in the end zone.
That's a good point. I just hate to see someone get rushed making a read and putt. They just need to come up with a good time limit. To me the 40 seconds in the rule seem quick.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I really like what theyre trying to do but the fines seem alittle too aggressive

And I don't see them as being nearly big enough. They have the money. Strokes taken is how you hurt them or with serious money fines.

That's a good point. I just hate to see someone get rushed making a read and putt. They just need to come up with a good time limit. To me the 40 seconds in the rule seem quick.

I don't know if you get the same 10 second extra time if you are first to putt. But if you aren't the first to putt there is no way it should take more than 40 seconds

Even if they were told on the green the first guy has 50 seconds to play his ball and the rest have 40 seconds once it's their turn. Should it really take them that long to read their putt? Plus they can make up time on the next hole to,help,get back on time so there is some room for not having to,rush on their putt

I like the idea of taking points out of the various cup races. Taking 3 or 5 points from someone's FedEx points is a big deal come later on in the year.

You cant take strokes because as soon as you do and a fan favorite loses by 1, the golf world goes crazy.
Well the player can stop the golf world going crazy in one easy move. Speed up.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

This thread deserves a bump this with the Jason Day talk surrounding his slow play, not because I support it, but because I wonder if he's genuinely to blame or whether it's on the tour to define pace of play adequately enough for the players to follow.

First of all, I think fines are a joke unless they genuinely start to stack, however I am not sure strokes can fairly be assessed when players deal with unavoidable elements like rulings that take time, and the crowd interacting with noises or cameras during their pre-shot routine.

It's a bit funny that a PGA player got dinged while out with the European tour, and I think being put on the spot like that is mildly embarrassing as a representative of the PGA Tour (and a great one at that).

So what's the PGA Tour solution for this that is both fair and effective? I know the media will have some fun with the first few that get penalized/fined, but is that enough to really set the tone for pace on tour?

I agree here.
It was interesting to hear Spieth say the group behind was nowhere in sight, so he didnt see the issue. Because that is a HUGE issue in the world of golf right now. That shows that people just do not care about the time as long as they are not pressured.

True but that is why you are always told to "keep pace with the group in front of you."

True but that is why you are always told to "keep pace with the group in front of you."

You're 'told' to keep pace with whoever is in front of you, but is it ever really enforced? I'd argue not enough.

Back