Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Got a round in this morning (my 4th with these) it may have been my best day of striking them of the four. I was especially pleased with a couple 5 irons (the longest I have) I hit very solid and got a bit more than 170 out of. Due to not having a 54 with me, I used the A wedge on several little pitches around the green, I was pleased with the versatility of it, even if it wasn't designed for a few of the shots I pulled off with it.

But Jman said a few pages back, the feeling from compressing these especially the long iron when yuo get that magical moment, is such an addictive feeling. That happened on two of the 5 irons, I mentioned, and one 7 iron as well, that really took off and had quite a bit of zip when it hit the green.

Quoted for truth! At the urging of my fitter, I went with a 4I, which is well against my normal bias. Didn't get a chance to hit it off the deck in a round yet, but did play it on a par 3 into the wind last weekend. Pushed it a touch, but just smooshed the heck out of it. Actually went a bit further than my FIL's 4H, which is saying something as he hits the ball a good ways. Push left me a good ways away from the hole but I was able to two putt for a very happy par. Feel at impact was awesome and the ball took off way better than I'm used to. Flushed a couple of 7Is as well, which after the fitting I was familiar with. I don't think the short irons are slouches either when it comes to feel, but the long irons definitely have a unique "Dang I smashed that one" feel to them when you catch it good.

Quoted for truth! At the urging of my fitter, I went with a 4I, which is well against my normal bias. Didn't get a chance to hit it off the deck in a round yet, but did play it on a par 3 into the wind last weekend. Pushed it a touch, but just smooshed the heck out of it. Actually went a bit further than my FIL's 4H, which is saying something as he hits the ball a good ways. Push left me a good ways away from the hole but I was able to two putt for a very happy par. Feel at impact was awesome and the ball took off way better than I'm used to. Flushed a couple of 7Is as well, which after the fitting I was familiar with. I don't think the short irons are slouches either when it comes to feel, but the long irons definitely have a unique "Dang I smashed that one" feel to them when you catch it good.

I am seriously considering ordering the 4 because of that. I mean if the 5 is this good, then the 4 has to be off the charts right :D I thought the days of me carrying or hitting a 4 iron had long passed.

A set of 4-PW is delivering Monday, can't wait to swing these.

Side note - I am actually not surprised to see people's lies and lofts are off, you would be shocked to know what golf OEM tolerance ratings are on manufacturing. I think Taylormade has the worst manufacturing tolerance but it seems Callaway is right up there with them. This meaning if you buy a set off the rack at a store, the specs could be off by a certain amount and still be considered acceptable to ship to a retailer for sale. I think Taylormade accepts things that are as much as 2 degrees off or something like that. It's the same with shafts are are specially designed for certain clubs. It could say stiff on the shaft but it could actually be a senior flex and get past the plant's inspection because their tolerance is low (or High, whatever way you look at it lol).

Last edited:
Fell in love last night.

Stopped by PGATSS Southlake, wanting to see the excitement over the CF16. They had a 7i and I had my Edel CB 7i with me. Wow, the CF16 is shorter heel to toe, looks like more of a player's iron compared to the Edel bit it is classified as GI ... must be loads of forgiveness because I am a so-so striker trying to get better with instruction. Apex CF16 is 2 degrees stronger, the 03 flex 760 ES was light at 65g or so as compared to the Recoil 95 in the Edel. Waggling, the Apex felt lite but had good swingweight. Both are the same length. And OMG...

When you hit the CF16, it's as if the Heavens open and God says in a thundering voice, "I screwed enough with you for 20 years - I give you Apex!"

And I, being the humble yet resentful golfer for slaving away these 20 years says, "Thank you." (tears aded)

Solid yet soft - it's like hitting with Luxurious Charmin but dense with a nice click, and this is inside a store. Forgiving.

Tale of the tape - best shots with Edel were 150, best with CF16 were 161. Impressive improvement for a club that is not fit to me. The Edels were fit.

Need to hit these with another shaft and more clubs. But wow.

Launch about 18, SS was about 80 w a 7i, but ball speed was lowish -- still in lesson mode and the shaft was not the best fit - very light - thinking that a 780 at 86g may be a better fit, but I was impressed by the light shaft that still had you easily feeling the head. Don't need the pros - this blade is sufficiently compact.

Anyway, that will all be decided at a later date. Looking forward to more Apex. Holy Forgings, Batman!

Last edited:
With all the buzz around these I really want to find a local demo day this spring to have a chance to hit them outside.

I'm in need of a new set of irons, and these are near (or at) the top of my list for consideration.

First range session with these. Have to say, they are as advertised! Hitting into a pretty good breeze, but nice penetrating flight. First blush I would say I am at least a half club longer with these.

Was a little concerned there might be a little too much gap between the 7 and 8 irons. Little hard to tell just on the range, but looks to be about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got a chance to hit these today.

Can I interest anyone in a slightly used kidney? I'm selling one to help fund the future purchase.

I'm anxious to get my set back in-hand, hopefully before next weekend.

EDIT: I'm just going to leave these here (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all)

de9ad6eaa5f74255e7a4dca0f3e5f616.jpg

f95343528fedbe87db6d975dda5eb318.jpg

e820a3bc3911bfc032e8552527a8eddb.jpg

Last edited:
Finally hit these at Golfsmith today with the XP 95 (stiff flex) shaft in them. I came away EXTREMELY impressed! I hit these, TM M2's, TM PSI, Wilson D200's and Cobra King F6 irons. The CF 16's and TM M2's were the clear cut winners. These 2 were the longest, gave me the best dispersion and both had excellent forgiveness. I'm going for an iron fitting and it's really going to come down to these 2 irons. I really wanted to try the TM M2 Tours but they were available to demo. I think the decision is going to come down to the price of the M2's vs. the feel of the CF 16's. The CF 16's blew all the others in the feel department out of the building but feel has never really been that important to me. I will say, it is addicting to hit these those, they are really an amazing iron.

First range session with these. Have to say, they are as advertised! Hitting into a pretty good breeze, but nice penetrating flight.
I adjusted for hurting 15-20mph wind last weekend on two par 3s and regretted it both times. Ball didn't move for me with an 8i or a 6i, wind apparently did nothing, was long on both shots. One less club on both would have been awesome results to see.

Even the clubs without CF technology are absolute smoke shows, yesterday the wind was picking up and we had a par 3 hitting right into the wind it was playing 142 front 160 back, with a front/middle pin. I would normally pull a 9 for that pin with this set, so clubbed up and I hit a monster 8 iron about 10 foot short of the pin right on line. I actually didn't even think I would reach the green with that club with that much wind but I couldn't talk myself into clubbing up even more. Just one of those moments when you realize these clubs are the real deal from the long irons all the way down. Cannot wait to swing these for an entire season and most likely many more to come based on my comfort with not changing a good thing when it comes to irons!

Christmas in March?
7d994c5b4da79e03d3cffa8b0e9c236c.jpg
c615d24280cd41f1667ba6832bdfe225.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

First round with these today. Loved them! My favorite iron shots are 3/4 knock down type shots. The trajectory and spin was spot on. Been struggling with shot for last couple of months after going to my previous set of irons. I was able to do a little pin hunting today with them.

1175bafd2b96511da6f22dd0f70e8441.jpg

Now I have to wait for warm weather :banghead:. This 60 degrees one day, 35 the next is not a fun April fools joke.

First round with these today. Loved them! My favorite iron shots are 3/4 knock down type shots. The trajectory and spin was spot on. Been struggling with shot for last couple of months after going to my previous set of irons. I was able to do a little pin hunting today with them.

1175bafd2b96511da6f22dd0f70e8441.jpg

I also love the 3/4 knock down shot with the set AW. Just sticks to the green.

I also love the 3/4 knock down shot with the set AW. Just sticks to the green.
I agree with you buddy. That AW is something special, I was loving it for that knock down entry shot during a windy range session yesterday.

I tried the Apex CF16s at a demo day over the weekend and really liked them. Thinking about ordering a set and I am trying to decide between the XP95 and the Recoil 95 shafts. Unfortunately, the place that I was at did not have any Recoil shafts, but I have tried them in other clubs. The XP95 did really feel great with the CF16 head, but if anyone has been able to try both of these out, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

I like both and am currently using the Recoils. The reason for that is strictly because the graphite is easier on my joints. I enjoyed the XP 95 shafts a lot.

JB,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am considering the Recoils because of elbow tendonitis, but I really did like the XP95s.....great feel, good distance and excellent dispersion that gave me my preferred baby draw every time.

I tried both the xp95 and recoil shafts in these. The xp95's were great. When I switched to the recoils, wasn't impressed at all. Didn't like the feel and I ended up losing quite a lot of distance. I am in the minority, but I would definitely try them before taking the plunge if you can.

I am currently playing graphite but have been experimenting with light steel shafts like the XP95s. I find them to be pretty easy on the elbows too. Seriously considering some Apex Pro 16s with XP 105s at the moment...

Back