Rory Skipping The Par 3 Contest

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
doesn't matter, probably needs a mental break.

Not sure I like that. I'm sure it's a hassle for some. But it's for the fans, and part of the spirit that is The Masters.

I don't think it really matters

I personally don't care, but I can see why it would be an issue for others.

Can't image it being too tough and/or demanding of him to partake in the contest. It's not very long and doesn't take very much time. I think he should have done it for the fans but oh well.

Has this been done by high profile players in the past?

I'm ok with it, it's the only major he hasn't won, and if he feels he would be better prepared mentally and physically by focusing elsewhere, then he should do so. I would hope he would opt back in in the future, especially if he has kids.

is people watching that?

Doesn't matter at all. If that's what he needs to do to focus on winning the tournament, then it's ok by me. I'm sure he'll be back in the future.

I think he owes it to the fans and the sponsors!!

Part of me says he needs to do it for the fan and the other part of me it doesn't bother me. It's amazing how critics make such a huge deal out of the decisions these professionals make.

Has this been done by high profile players in the past?

I'm ok with it, it's the only major he hasn't won, and if he feels he would be better prepared mentally and physically by focusing elsewhere, then he should do so. I would hope he would opt back in in the future, especially if he has kids.

Ill give you one guess on what other superstar skipped it. :D

I personally don't have a problem with it. If he has a specific plan for preparation for the majors I have no issue with it.

Ill give you one guess on what other superstar skipped it. :D

Matt Kuchar?

I can't think of anyone else it could be, I'm sure it's no one with a feline nickname.

The stars on tour are constantly being requested/required to be available to the fans, and media. This event is optional, and, personally, it doesn't bother me at all that he skips it.

What this says to me is, he's totally focused on the tournament...

I get why he's doing it, though it is a pretty traditional fan based event, so I can see some being disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Doesn't bother me.

This doesnt bother me and if i was going to attend this it wouldnt bother me either. Part of the fun of this is seeing the players families on the course with them and the little kids running around making putts and even the older legends of the game still giving it a go. I may be the minority in this but it really doesnt bother me much.

Perhaps, he's afraid that he might win the Par 3 contest. As I understand, no winner of the Par 3 contest has gone on to win the tournament afterwards.

I wasn't surprised when I heard this, but I do wish he would play. It's a fun event for the fans, unique to any other major championships and fun to watch. It's his call though obviously, I don't have a strong opinion against it.

I don't think it matters. Up until recently the Par 3 wasn't a televised event, and what glimpse we get of it now is pretty minimal. It's for fun, it's a way for those guys to kick back and relax before the first major of the year. It's nice seeing some of the families and kids out there putting and with caddie bibs on. However it's a players choice and if he feels he can better prepare for the tournament without playing in it, so be it.

it's completely rory's prerogative, and i get that he needs to focus. he chose his words poorly but i don't fault him for it. i don't know for sure but i would guess that rory probably does quite a bit of these types of events throughout the year, and this just so happens to be one among many options that he is choosing to pass on.

now, sub rory for a different superstar and i think the reaction is very different...

I'll agree that it's entirely up to him, but I don't personally like it.

The par 3 is a unique and awesome element to the Masters, and I'd love to see the big names take part out of respect for the tournament and the fans.

Back