Contest - Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder - TWO Winners

I think the rule revision is a great thing for amateur golf. For my personally I have a V3 without slope and I have used it on down hill shots and still have to kind of guess how much the slope effected the distance. The slope function is great for practice rounds before a tournament. You can figure out how much the slope will effect the shot and then all you have to do is remember it.

Awesome contest! Going to be sitting this one out but a rangefinder is next on my list to purchase.

Good luck all!

I am glad they made the rule change. With advancement in technology and the average golfer trying to take advantage if it to better their game some change was needed. I have stayed away from upgrading to an device with slope capability because I play rounds where the rules of golf are used. Neigh the ability to have it for other rounds or to turn it off during rounds with this group is a plus for me and I am now pondering a device with the capability to use or not use it when appropriate

The rule change is good because does it matter to a pro (most likely no ?) with the info they and there caddie have they should have all the numbers they would need. This is just my thought now i am no pro but to me it looks like they have some spot on yardage books and formualers to add for slope changes

I think this is somewhat good ruling. I passed up buying a device with slope last year, just to feel comfortable using a range finder in tournament play. I did not want any issues with whether slope was on or not.
To be honest, I don't understand why, with the technology today, slope devices are not allowed all together. Caddies, for the most part, have taken these readings or walked the course and gauged these yardages, and noted these yardages for tournament use. Personally, I don't see it being an issue, but it is the rule.
I do like that I can now have a device with slope without having to own two separate devices.

Twitter entry for contest:

The rule change is fine in my book as people will no longer have to have 2 range finders, 1 for tournament play and 1 for practice. Tournament play is all about testing the golfer not the equipment so keeping slope out of tournaments will still require the golfer to exhibit good judgement while still enable said golfer to practice and gain course knowledge without having to have a redundant piece of equipment just for the tournament round.

The rule change is a good thing. Its not any different than using a GPS that gives you even more information like wind speed/direction and front middle back distances, though I am not familiar with the rules of use on these. However I am glad they are keeping the rule it must be turned off during tournament play, it keeps some element of thought and creativity.

I think it is great they changed the rule. To me it's nice to see that technology is being embraced to an extent. For the pro's it will make the caddie's job a little easier prior to tournaments. For an amateur like me it's nice because if you play tournaments you no longer have to purchase two different units or switch face plates around. I'm hopeful that with this rule change slope starts becoming a standard feature on all units because I believe it could help speed up the game. I have a rangefinder with slope because I play way more casual rounds than tournaments. However it cannot be turned off so it's useless to me when I play tournaments. Winning a V4 would be pretty sweet for that situation.

Apparently I am in the minority here. I own a non-slope rangefinder, but my dad has a Bushnell rangefinder with slope, and I find that his rangefinder offers a large advantage. If slope can quickly be turned on and off, I foresee many players in tournaments will turn the function on when other players/ officials are not looking. The rule seems extremely easy to circumvent in tournament play. However, for the average joe who plays for fun or with his buddies? I am all for it, as the slope function is incredible and makes hitting shots close much easier, and I am very impressed by the technology which created it.

I think this rule is long overdue. I actually think you should be able to use the slope portion but maybe with time. It would help me especially when I play a course for the first time. You spend whatever ever amount of money to play and then have no idea what club to hit because you don't know the correct distance or the yardage increase or decrease due to elevation changes. This is dumb. We need to be doing everything we can to bring more people into golf not making it harder. People have a limited amount of free time this will help them enjoy it more plus speed up the process because they won't spend extra time pondering what club to hit for so long.

I definitely think the rule change makes sense. I've been on the fence about renewing my USGA membership over the "can't post single scores" thing, and if they continue to be so far behind the times when it comes to devices like this I definitely won't renew.

Golf is a game of skill. Sure, decades ago part of that skill was judging shot distances but between the yardage books guys on tour are using on a weekly basis and launch monitors that allow pros to dial in their distances to the yard devices like this Bushnell with slope are giving us average golfers some of the same advantages. At the end of the day the integrity of the game isn't affected, because the player still has to hit the shot.

I've been really happy with my Bushnell Neo XS watch, I'd love the opportunity to augment that with something a bit more accurate like the Tour v4 rangefinder.

Last edited:
I like the revision, I was one who avoided the rangefinders with the slope feature due to them being illegal by the USGA. Now I can have the best of both worlds. Kudo's to the USGA for using common sense in this ruling.

Cool contest. I love that a slope enabled device has the ability to be used both in/out of competition. The game is one of integrity....and this rule change recognizes that.....as long as you aren't playing alone. :bananadance:

Golf tournaments shouldn't be about who can do the best math before a round. I'm in favor of the rule change. Having to try and do complex formulas for slope seems like a phenomenal waste of time when a device can do it for you. Strackaline goes out and takes complex measurements of greens using a laser, and then players can get that information in their course yardage books with pin sheets or through their app. So why can't a company like Bushnell go out and measure courses from various markers on a whole and provide that same information with slope calculated ahead of time for everyone. The USGA needs to make the game about who has the best swing/skills on any given day and leave out the convoluted nonsense.

Oh, and I want one of these V4 Slope bad boys.

I really do like the rule change - mainly because I feel it will help amateurs ingrain the right distance and possibly develop a better "eye" for how much more or less club should be used for a particular shot.

I support the rule change 100%

I think the change is great. I use a GPS watch versus a range finder, mainly because of the cost of owning one versus the other. I honestly didn't know the slope technology existed and it seems to me to be a big advantage in practice rounds. Having it for preparing on a course would be a huge advantage, but one that everyone can take advantage of.

The rule change was long overdue...in fact, I think they should take it a step farther and allow it without restrictions.

It simply provides the correct information QUICKLY...well not all of the range finders. The new Bushnell's are the fastest I've experienced, even compared to their own tech of a few years ago. Imagine the shots we could see on tour when they are confident in the number and no thought process or little convo with the caddie.

As for us hackers...I see no need to restrict it at all. The shot still has to be executed and a number is just a number...you still have to hit to it.

For years, distance measuring devices (DMDs) with slope have been considered illegal. Recently, the USGA has loosened the rules belt, allowing DMDs with slope to be used in tournaments as long as the slope function can be turned off.

The industry accepted term, “Slope,” is actually a patented technology created by Bushnell. “Slope” provides compensated distances for uphill and downhill shots. No need to walk the course with a caddie to get the exact distances, simply point and shoot, Bushnell’s Slope Technology does the rest. Caddies are relied on to provide distances, but know with Bushnell’s state-of-the-art technology, caddies are unnecessary for the average golfer. They’re now able to prepare just like the pros.

Contest
We want to know what you think about this rule change and how it might impact you moving forward. Do you have a device with slope and have not used it during tournament play or have you stayed away from the Slope functioning devices due to this very thing? THP is going to give away two of the brand new Bushnell Tour V4 lasers to lucky THPers.

Rules
One entry per person.
Deadline for this contest is Tuesday, April 5th, 2016.
Contest open to all THPers, however free shipping of the prize should you win is only available for 2016 Albatross Club Members. It is a very special initiative as THP partners with animal shelters all around the contry to give back in the name of this community of people. If you are not a member and would like more information, click here.

How to Enter
Entering is very easy and you can have up to 3 entries in the hopper (random number generator).
1. Leave a comment here with what you think of the rule change and please dont write "I like the rule change". You must expand on the reason(s) why it makes sense or why it doesn't. This can be discussed here as well.

2. Send a tweet on Twitter and include @THPGolf @BushnellGolf and a link to this contest.

3. Read the review on this device here and in the comments section, give your opinion and include your forum screen name.

Good luck everybody and we look forward to having a great discussion on the new rule and why it does or doesn't make sense.

We need more common sense rules in the game like this. I'm in favor. Within reason, let's embrace tech that makes the game more fun. Let's limit the ball and club faces, but if a player wants to gain an advantage by intimate knowledge of the course, why not? It's no different than a pro caddy who meticulously charts a course Mon thru Wed each week. He just uses time and traditional methods instead of tech.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I like the rule change. I have never owned a rangefinder, but it is my next big purchase I am planning. With this rule change, I will be looking for a rangefinder with slope that can be turned off, rather than one without slope. My feeling is that golf is a game of honor. I am a big believer of being a man of my word, if I tell you I'm not using the slope function, you can bank on it. That said, I really wouldn't mind at all if they went to far and allowed slope to be used. To me, golf is about having fun and executing shots. There is nothing more fun to me on a golf course than sticking a long iron close to the hole.

I like the rule change, mainly for one reason: technological advancement. With the ability to turn the slope function "off", this helps the amateur save money by not having to buy two devices. With having "faceplates" that identify, externally, whether or not the slope function is on or off, it's easy for playing partners to know if what you're using is legal or illegal. Amateurs don't have caddies walking the course and marking yardages in a book. Amateurs are the lifeblood of the game. I'm hoping this is just the first of rule changes that the USGA makes that continue to help those of us who spend most of our rounds playing for fun and not a title.

I like the change to be honest. No worries about having an illegal rangefinder anymore (as long as it can be turned off). I always thought it was silly that rangefinders were being put on the market that were not allowed in tournament play for amateurs. What I am curious about is how tournament officials could tell that slope is turned off (when observing from a distance), especially if it isn't a piece that comes off the front of the device.

My next rangefinder will have slope. Not because of the rule change though, but more because I feel like it is a feature that can possibly save me a stoke here or there by properly informing me about the distance I need the ball to go.

I agree with most that it was time to allow the use of the slope before a tournament has started. I have a rangefinder that has this function and it is a very valuable tool to have.

I love that it includes the slope on the unit and that it can be turned off. With the USGA has 'loosening' it's rule on the slope factor, and this unit being able to be turned off, I think it's a HUGE benefit for those playing in tournaments when scouting a course beforehand. Being able to use that slope feature to factor in approach shots and whatnot before the tournament rounds could be a great benefit and I'd look forward to being able to use it. I'm still not sure if using the slope for the regular golfer should be legal or not. Obviously there's been many questions of this previously with certain balls or clubs and if the recreational golfer is using this, while I don't know how much their playing partners will mind, some part of me thinks it's giving them an advantage that the game doesn't allow for in the rules. But then again, when more folks are enjoying the game and shooting better scores....the game will do better and I'm all for that.

Back