Not a fan of the front. Cars without grilles will take some getting used to.

Looks like an XJ6, not bad at all

I think it looks pretty good and the price is impressive... I agree i'm not okay with the front end looking a little 'off', but otherwise i'd drive one of these...

Simple option seems to be to add a tax on the "quick charge" stations. Honestly, that would be a reasonable measure to allow for money for roads (that, of course, is following the hysterical presumption that the government would actually use that money for roads... )

I agree with JB. Oil lobbyists will be coming out of the woodwork with ways to try to slow things like this down.

Most Tesla owners charge at home or work, not at the Supercharge stations. We've used a Supercharger for maybe 10% of our charging. I'm sure it would be easy for the state or federal lawmakers to tack on let's say, a $300 annual tax when you renew you car registration every year.

I like the car and love the concept of electric cars. When you look at the smog in the big cities that comes from cars and them rolling down the highway at less than posted speed or idling because traffic is so terrible there then these will cut down on that.

I do wonder what the price will actually be of a loaded one or even a well equipped one and what the base features will be.

If I was buying one then I'd also buy the solar charging station/power pack tesla has. I'm thinking of doing so anyways.

I agree if these take off then you will see automakers trying to put a stop to it or at least road block it. This is no different than what has been done in the past by both auto and oil to keep high efficient/mpg cars off the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fully loaded 3 will run 60K which I assume means larger battery for increased range, upgraded interior and other add ons. Ludicrous Mode alone is a 10K upgrade. A Model S starts at 60K but can double in price, same as a Model X depending on features.

35K gets you 214 miles on a charge and Auto Pilot which is a steal.

I'd buy one. Electric cars are going to transform the auto industry. But given the long timeline until delivery, I want to see how the competition steps up in the meantime. I guess I will keep driving the '96 beater 4Runner a little longer.

One thing is for sure, the other luxury car makers better take notice, the Model 3 moves Telsa out of the niche category and makes them a serious competitive threat. The best selling small luxury car is either a BMW or the Mercedes C class which sold 7,000 units in December, a record month. The Model 3 could easily take over the top selling small luxury car spot. With 135,000 already pre-ordered that makes for a lot fewer BMW's, Audi's, Lexus, and Mercedes being sold. Tesla has the highest satisfaction among any car company and my wife and I are certainly 100% satisfied. It driver better than our 2014 Audi and is cheaper to own.

I have a feeling 'in person' this car is way smaller than we think. I thought it looked pretty good, and then found a few youtube reviews with rides, and the guys looked like they were jammed in there pretty tight. I know it fits 5 adults, but i'm not thinking they are the 6'3" variety like me.

One thing is for sure, the other luxury car makers better take notice, the Model 3 moves Telsa out of the niche category and makes them a serious competitive threat. The best selling small luxury car is either a BMW or the Mercedes C class which sold 7,000 units in December, a record month. The Model 3 could easily take over the top selling small luxury car spot. With 135,000 already pre-ordered that makes for a lot fewer BMW's, Audi's, Lexus, and Mercedes being sold. Tesla has the highest satisfaction among any car company and my wife and I are certainly 100% satisfied. It driver better than our 2014 Audi and is cheaper to own.

No question but keep in mind, pre-ordered with a refundable deposit on a car that nobody knows the delivery date, is not purchased. And it depends on how one is viewed as a luxury car. If its based on price alone, that starts to include a HUGE number of cars into the mix, and then add leasing which also changes things further.

Until they get charging stations along highways across the country, cars like Tesla will never outsell the other luxury car makers. Having a full electric car in Ohio is impractical if you go anywhere. I'd have a hard time getting to my parents house in Columbus from Cleveland on a full charge of the 214 miles for the basic battery I'm guessing. Basically unless you're a go to work, come home, and never really travel with it, then it's fine. Or if it's a second car. But the midwest isn't like that for most people, so they have a giant chunk of the country that won't/can't buy them. I've seen maybe 3 around here. People want them, and some buy, but not to the effect of outselling the other major luxury players.

Depending on what the base feature set is for $35K, I could definitely see this as the electric car that finally gets me interested. The range would work fine for all but a couple car trips a year (depending on supercharger availability and time...it may work for all my needs).

If these become prevalent, the states will definitely be reevaluating the gas tax.
I was thinking the exact same thing, the price range makes it much more appealing.

I would only purchase an electric car as a second vehicle of local commuting. I would definitely have a gas powered vehicle available for extended trips and in the event that the power goes out at home.

No question but keep in mind, pre-ordered with a refundable deposit on a car that nobody knows the delivery date, is not purchased. And it depends on how one is viewed as a luxury car. If its based on price alone, that starts to include a HUGE number of cars into the mix, and then add leasing which also changes things further.

For the high end luxury cars, Tesla is already a serious competitor that certainly looks like it is growing at the expense of other large luxury cars in the US. Here in California, the Models S is common and most of them are former BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, or Audi owners. In my neighborhood there are 4 Teslas just in the 20 houses I drive by to get to the golf course.

US-Luxury-Car-Sales-Tesla-570x326.png

So what does everybody think?

I like it & I want people to buy it... my company makes parts for Tesla.

Until they get charging stations along highways across the country, cars like Tesla will never outsell the other luxury car makers. Having a full electric car in Ohio is impractical if you go anywhere. I'd have a hard time getting to my parents house in Columbus from Cleveland on a full charge of the 214 miles for the basic battery I'm guessing. Basically unless you're a go to work, come home, and never really travel with it, then it's fine. Or if it's a second car. But the midwest isn't like that for most people, so they have a giant chunk of the country that won't/can't buy them. I've seen maybe 3 around here. People want them, and some buy, but not to the effect of outselling the other major luxury players.

You mean like the Tesla Supercharger network spanning the entire country?

For the high end luxury cars, Tesla is already a serious competitor that certainly looks like it is growing at the expense of other large luxury cars.

US-Luxury-Car-Sales-Tesla-570x326.png

I dont recall saying they werent. However its model to model and specific when so many other manufacturers offer multiple. You were using the number of sold comparatively to other manufacturers and what they sold, and Tesla Model 3 has not sold any at this point. Nobody in the world thinks that all 100k+ that put a preorder in yesterday will end up closing on the car.

And they didnt lease (the same way as others), which skews the statistics based on luxury vehicles in the US currently. Started to in the last 3 months at absurd pricing.

The success hinges on charging stations. While some states have a great network (California) others simply can't go where they want to go. I could not get to the beach and back currently that is a no go for me.
I think until the range goes up they will remain a niche product. Right now putting a deposit down on a Tesla is the "in" thing to do (I mean that with no ill intent or as a knock) it would not surprise me to see many cancellations. Especially when people realize this is not the model s. You don't go from a 100k car to a 35k car without taking things out or making things a bit cheaper it is like comparing a 35k BMW to a 80k BMW the 35k is still very nice but it is not on par with the 80k model.
Once people see the jump in electronic bill and some of the other negatives I think you will see a great deal of push back. I have also read that after 200,000 units sold the 7500 incentive will go away (not sure if that is true but have read it in a few places).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a feeling 'in person' this car is way smaller than we think. I thought it looked pretty good, and then found a few youtube reviews with rides, and the guys looked like they were jammed in there pretty tight. I know it fits 5 adults, but i'm not thinking they are the 6'3" variety like me.
I am a bit concerned by the statement to make it roomy for all they moved the front seats up and dash forward. I for one can't fit into small cars so hoping the front seats were not moved up to much.

I actually looked at what we had locally and for most (but not all) longer drives I take, I'd have no trouble hitting superchargers - that was a pleasant surprise. I think given the cold weather we have 3-4 months out of the year, I'm going to wait and see what the range is on the lower priced models in the winter - I know some reports had cold weather knocking as much as 40% off the range, which would make travel somewhat tough in the northeast during the winter.

I dont recall saying they werent. However its model to model and specific when so many other manufacturers offer multiple. You were using the number of sold comparatively to other manufacturers and what they sold, and Tesla Model 3 has not sold any at this point. Nobody in the world thinks that all 100k+ that put a preorder in yesterday will end up closing on the car.

And they dont lease, which skews the statistics based on luxury vehicles in the US currently.

My only point is by 2018 they could easily be selling double or triple the amount of Model 3's compared to the Model S. If that happens it would make them one of the top selling small luxury cars in the U.S., and maybe take the #1 spot on the list.

So, you still have to wait an hour to get charged at those spots. There are also only a few spots across the midwest on major routes, and even then you have to hope your route includes those spots, even with the expansion coming. it's great, and may work for some, but it's impractical for a lot of people. You're making a road trip from Cleveland to Chicago take somewhere around 8 hours now instead of 5 because I have to stop a few times and let the car charge for an hour just to be able to make it to the next charging station.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and is revolutionary. It's just not "there" yet for the masses.

The success hinges on charging stations. While some states have a great network (California) others simply can't go where they want to go. I could not get to the beach and back currently that is a no go for me.
I think until the range goes up they will remain a niche product. Right now putting a deposit down on a Tesla is the "in" thing to do (I mean that with no ill intent or as a knock) it would not surprise me to see many cancellations. Especially when people realize this is not the model s. You don't go from a 100k car to a 35k car without taking things out or making things a bit cheaper it is like comparing a 35k BMW to a 80k BMW the 35k is still very nice but it is not on par with the 80k model.
Once people see the jump in electronic bill and some of the other negatives I think you will see a great deal of push back. I have also read that after 200,000 units sold the 7500 incentive will go away (not sure if that is true but have read it in a few places).

That tax credit is a huge selling point right now. As the brand becomes more mainstream, and they are trying to with a less "expensive" car, that is when the real news comes out. We have seen it with every single consumer brand in the world, and certainly an auto maker is not all of the sudden above that.

Im rooting for them, because I think its a unique solution, and one that CAN make sense. Then add what happens when the other automakers decide to cut out the middle man too (which I am for)?

One thing is true, they are the AAPL of the car world right now and its pretty funny to watch from the outside.

One of the independent writers I read said he was able to fit comfortably in at 6'3", with a 6' in the back seat.

Back