Am I onto something re: the swing (sequence)

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So I've been looking at a lot of video trying to figure out how to come in-to-out. I finally read something that talked about how the swing should start with a shoulder turn, not the arms. Now, I'm all arms in my swing. So I tried starting my swing with my shoulders and bringing it up felt different, but better, and I even think it allowed for my lower body to be a bit more relaxed ... I was able to keep a bend in my back leg (not stiffen it up so much as I tried to eek out as much from my backswing). It also felt better to drop the club down (hopefully into the slot). I was hitting foam balls, but they were getting up and going straight ... not sure if this is an eureka moment (I need to work on it at the range, not my front yard) but I hope I am on to something. Am I?

i can see how a swing plane adjustment could make it easier to approach the ball from the inside. i guess where i would be a little hesitant in focusing as much on the backswing is that while i agree the big muscles should be very engaged in turning away from the ball, i wouldn't want the hands to get sucked too far inside. if you're turning the shoulders and keeping everything out in front, that's great. get things moving too far inside and you almost have no choice but to re-route ott.

personally, and this is just me, i think it's easier to approach the ball from the inside by bumping and pulling your left hip out of the way while keeping your head from sliding forward.

Some people believe in shoulders start the swing, but not everybody. If it's working for you, great! Keep it up.

Am I onto something re: the swing (sequence)

So I've been looking at a lot of video trying to figure out how to come in-to-out. I finally read something that talked about how the swing should start with a shoulder turn, not the arms. Now, I'm all arms in my swing. So I tried starting my swing with my shoulders and bringing it up felt different, but better, and I even think it allowed for my lower body to be a bit more relaxed ... I was able to keep a bend in my back leg (not stiffen it up so much as I tried to eek out as much from my backswing). It also felt better to drop the club down (hopefully into the slot). I was hitting foam balls, but they were getting up and going straight ... not sure if this is an eureka moment (I need to work on it at the range, not my front yard) but I hope I am on to something. Am I?

Welcome to THP!!

Are you serious. :D I've preached this since the day I took over the swing advice forum.

I've been practicing my swing too and noticed I was more arms than shoulder. I figured it was time to get more help. So I just signed up with GolfTec for a swing evaluation.

Welcome to THP!!

Are you serious. :D I've preached this since the day I took over the swing advice forum.

Ha ha ha ... I'm slow on the uptake. Glad I am on the right track!

This is kind of the 'chicken or the egg' question. Some people will need to feel the arms going first and fast. Some will need to feel the body turning and clearing first. What is most important is that everything is working in sync.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!!

Listen to the man my swing has been completely revitalized with his help this will be my best season ever

Starting with the shoulders is one of the biggest and best things Freddie had me doing when I first posted a swing thread 2 years ago. Paid immediate dividends.

And when I got lax on that? Weak wipey fades. Starting with your shoulders and maintaining that triangle is great for helping you make a solid full turn.

Starting with the shoulders is one of the biggest and best things Freddie had me doing when I first posted a swing thread 2 years ago. Paid immediate dividends.

And when I got lax on that? Weak wipey fades. Starting with your shoulders and maintaining that triangle is great for helping you make a solid full turn.
Yeah, I've been focused on starting my swing with my triceps touching my chest and trying to maintain that feeling during my turn. I remember watching Kaymer practice at the 2014 US Open with a golf ball tied to a string around his neck and he kept the golf ball between his arms during his backswing ... that showed me the importance of keeping that position and I've tried to focus on it ever since.

[video=youtube;98yYbp2vX-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98yYbp2vX-Q[/video]

The backswing isn't my problem so much as - I think - it's my transition from my backswing to my downswing and then the downswing. I do something funky that forces me OTT and also causes me to make inconsistent contact. It's driving me batty.

I need to get some video up.

Last edited:
The backswing isn't my problem so much as - I think - it's my transition from my backswing to my downswing and then the downswing. I do something funky that forces me OTT and also causes me to make inconsistent contact. It's driving me batty.

maybe being more connected is putting you in a position to make a more effortfless transition? but if your backswing was good and it's the transition that's giving you fits, post up that video.

Finding a pro to teach you this in person is the easiest way

Yeah, I've been focused on starting my swing with my triceps touching my chest and trying to maintain that feeling during my turn. I remember watching Kaymer practice at the 2014 US Open with a golf ball tied to a string around his neck and he kept the golf ball between his arms during his backswing ... that showed me the importance of keeping that position and I've tried to focus on it ever since.

[video=youtube;98yYbp2vX-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98yYbp2vX-Q[/video]

Try to keep that left arm close to the chest. As the hips release and the arm is attached you'd have to move you left shoulder out to get over the top. The connection allows for the slot drop and the as the chest pulls the arms thru you can really unleash some SS.

Back