Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

14ace7da7c83188c00bdfdfe093f52ad.jpg

Sweet, very light. I'm assuming the gravity core is in there along with the standard 8 grams of heel / toe weighting right?

Sweet, very light. I'm assuming the gravity core is in there along with the standard 8 grams of heel / toe weighting right?

Yup, that is my regular driver head.

Will be on a sim this weekend with my 815.

Setup currently:
45" PX 6.0 HC LZ
9* head playing -1* (D) 7g heel 1g toe

Playing lower loft because of some swing issues and optimizing my effective loft.

I have been working on a couple things, and want to see my launch and spin numbers, as well as contact on the face and how it correlates with those numbers.
CJ, you must let me try a lower lofted head this weekend. I would like to see if I can still get good launch with a lower loft.

Please!

I have stared out the window of my class all day, and now during P/T conferences, thinking about hitting this one.

I'll openly admit I was 100% pessimistic on this one. I absolutely was, I let hype bother me, which is something I NEVER do. In fact, it was that hype alone that led me to grab one for the purpose of proving to myself it was hype. NO WAY could it be better than my beloved Bertha, it HAD to be an Alpha re-hash.

Whoops.

I've hit a lot of drivers. I have 6 current releases right now. This one though works for my game and needs. I'm glad I got to review it and break down the tech more, and I cannot wait for it to get published. I'll always be curious to see "whats next" for me in my bag and I'll always play what I want in the end. But the addiction is here with this one for me. Sound. Forgiveness. LAUNCH FOR DAYS.

I can admit when I was wrong. I was wrong here on my pre-judging.

Played this most of the day today. The launch on this is beautiful. Launched for me very high, even with a low launching shaft in it. Not sure of the numbers on it and don't care, I want more of that launch and height.

I may need to acquire this club

Played this most of the day today. The launch on this is beautiful. Launched for me very high, even with a low launching shaft in it. Not sure of the numbers on it and don't care, I want more of that launch and height.

Sound aside, did you like the 815 more than the XR?

Sound aside, did you like the 815 more than the XR?

Two different animals IMO. The XR today was glued so there wasn't much I could do there for an apples to apples comparison. The XR pro is adjustable so maybe at some point I'll be able to compare things a little better.

What I liked about this head though was the launch, and the similarity to my Alpha in size and sound. The problem though with my Alpha is the launch. Even at 12.5, it was a very low flight. This head seems to take care of that problem by a significant difference. We're talking low to low-mid vs mid high to high. Darn near complete opposite side of the spectrum.

I wouldn't look past that XR driver though. Sound is a person by person acceptance. I'll play an empty coffee tin if it added 15yds to my carry distance.

Its an addicting launch isn't it? So freaking repetitive.

Its an addicting launch isn't it? So freaking repetitive.

It is, it was very impressive. It got moved around by the wind a little more but whatever, I'll deal with that for the days where I don't have to deal with 20mph winds.

How did the Aldila green feel in the 9* head? I'm assuming it was the Tour Green.
Honestly, they are running together a little bit in my head today. Nothing is especially sticking out in my mind about any of them in terms of whippiness, load (as if I could tell), weight, etc. I generally thought they all were nice. Actually, the thing I remember most is I couldn't find the name of the shaft anywhere, just Aldila, and the graphics were cool. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I've hit a lot of drivers. I have 6 current releases right now. This one though works for my game and needs. I'm glad I got to review it and break down the tech more, and I cannot wait for it to get published. I'll always be curious to see "whats next" for me in my bag and I'll always play what I want in the end. But the addiction is here with this one for me. Sound. Forgiveness. LAUNCH FOR DAYS.
I trust what you and others are saying, and that almost makes me a little frustrated that I can't seem to get there with this driver. I may have to go give it another try.

The optimal core position would depend on where you normally impact the face. I've had good success when core is up lately since I miss high on the face ( been teeing it up high to really promote hitting up)

I have found this as well. Teeing the ball a little higher and having the core up has produced very nice results. Not sure if that is a result of the impact location, but it has certainly worked for me.

Love this driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman, what are the specs on what you're playing right now in terms of length and swingweight? I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was intrigued by this driver, seems like an even better mix of distance and forgiveness than my Bio Cell+. My concern is that I couldn't get it to a swingweight of D4 if I cut it down to 44.5 inches, apart from playing with the weights on the bottom of the club.

Two different animals IMO. The XR today was glued so there wasn't much I could do there for an apples to apples comparison. The XR pro is adjustable so maybe at some point I'll be able to compare things a little better.

Hey dude, I know getting outdriven by me left you a bit dellusional as we were both roughed up by the wind today, but the XR Driver is adjustable. The hybrid is not which is what you commented on while at the course.

Hey dude, I know getting outdriven by me left you a bit dellusional as we were both roughed up by the wind today, but the XR Driver is adjustable. The hybrid is not which is what you commented on while at the course.

It is? Whoops, I mixed the two of those up then. I thought the regular was not and the pro was.

I blame the wind. So much confusion.

Well done ass......istant

I was just there so I didn't get fined. I didn't actually play golf.

I can confirm, what Ward was doing was definitely not playing golf.
It was more like donating golf balls to charity, repairing roofs by hitting them with golf balls repeatedly and of course giving me a nice ego boost by letting me outdrive him.

Oh man. I peppered the same house twice like it owed me money. Lesson learned.. Stop trying to play a fade.

Oh man. I peppered the same house twice like it owed me money. Lesson learned.. Stop trying to play a fade.
Dont hate the fade, dude.

Jman, what are the specs on what you're playing right now in terms of length and swingweight? I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was intrigued by this driver, seems like an even better mix of distance and forgiveness than my Bio Cell+. My concern is that I couldn't get it to a swingweight of D4 if I cut it down to 44.5 inches, apart from playing with the weights on the bottom of the club.
12 degree head tuned to 11, '15 Diamana S+ 60s, 44.75", D5 swing weight. Its something else, JB nailed it in here on all of his reports on the lateral forgiveness, its incredibly good.

Dont hate the fade, dude.

I kept trying to play it and it just wanted to draw, other than one or two holes. I think every other attempt though was the left part, and then turn left. So frustrating.

I kept trying to play it and it just wanted to draw, other than one or two holes. I think every other attempt though was the left part, and then turn left. So frustrating.
I'll trade ya.

I hate the fade.

Actually I'm just jealous of those who can hit one on repeat...like yourself.
Its not that I can hit one, it's that im a one trick pony. It's the only thing the ball will do, regardless of what I "try" to do.

12 degree head tuned to 11, '15 Diamana S+ 60s, 44.75", D5 swing weight. Its something else, JB nailed it in here on all of his reports on the lateral forgiveness, its incredibly good.

Did you give up on the Vapor Pro or just playing the driver field to find your long term gal?

Back