The Car Shopping Thread

The car market just got more complex for me. Considering the 16 kia Sorrento , either subaru Forrester, outback and now the Highlander. The Sorrento and Highlander have better looks, IMHO . leaning toward those two due to bigger interior and fits more. I've priced with options and both would be similar costs. Highlander could be giving an edged due to interior finish and quality, its close . Subaru would be given edge due to Superior crash ratings and eyesight feature. I'm leaning towards subaru for the safety reasons, but I'm willing to bet wife will be leaning towards the other cause of exterior appeal
Forester > * for a mid sized crossover. Plus Subaru's pricing model is really nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The car market just got more complex for me. Considering the 16 kia Sorrento , either subaru Forrester, outback and now the Highlander. The Sorrento and Highlander have better looks, IMHO . leaning toward those two due to bigger interior and fits more. I've priced with options and both would be similar costs. Highlander could be giving an edged due to interior finish and quality, its close . Subaru would be given edge due to Superior crash ratings and eyesight feature. I'm leaning towards subaru for the safety reasons, but I'm willing to bet wife will be leaning towards the other cause of exterior appeal

I bought a 2016 Sorrento SX AWD back in April. Love it.

Picked up a 2016 VW Jetta Sport yesterday.... Loving it!!
0050faeb9f7d95a99c5caaf8cc6633d3.jpg
06c25662ad5dc1a03ff911a2c7f51f58.jpg
79d95ca252a6696abc81d2275b4179f3.jpg
04f60c9a76ec7de5fbd73984a375975a.jpg

So I have a couple of financing offers and am ready to buy and found almost exactly what we want (2015 Ford Fusion Titanium with under 11k miles for under $19k)... in Miami... 5 hours away... at a place called Miami Car Credit, which being in the F&I business throws up some red flags for me. I would have to fly down (can get a Jetblue flight to Ft. Lauderdale for around $89) and then drive it back - no big deal for the right car. Just curious what others think of buying a vehicle far out of town? Advice from past experience?

Forester > * for a mid sized crossover. Plus Subaru's pricing model is really nice.

While I agree on all points they tend to be a bit more costly to service, so that should be factored in.

While I agree on all points they tend to be a bit more costly to service, so that should be factored in.
Yeah, definitely. And also tend to not be as fuel efficient because of the full-time AWD. :)

I bought a 2013 Sequoia Platinum for my wife before I left. It's used, but less miles than what we traded in and thanks to JRod for the advice. Momma really likes it!

e15b070bedd5339fd4a257ad85512eab.jpg

dfcc232d5c6683ac1245f5ef168f191b.jpg

0320d1ad123bfe3bdf54677cc15b8673.jpg

I bought a 2013 Sequoia Platinum for my wife before I left. It's used, but less miles than what we traded in and thanks to JRod for the advice. Momma really likes it!

e15b070bedd5339fd4a257ad85512eab.jpg

dfcc232d5c6683ac1245f5ef168f191b.jpg

0320d1ad123bfe3bdf54677cc15b8673.jpg
Very similar to the one my parents are getting rid of, theirs is a titanium in white. I always loved that interior color.

So I have a couple of financing offers and am ready to buy and found almost exactly what we want (2015 Ford Fusion Titanium with under 11k miles for under $19k)... in Miami... 5 hours away... at a place called Miami Car Credit, which being in the F&I business throws up some red flags for me. I would have to fly down (can get a Jetblue flight to Ft. Lauderdale for around $89) and then drive it back - no big deal for the right car. Just curious what others think of buying a vehicle far out of town? Advice from past experience?

I've done it twice, going to Atlanta and Charlotte and my parents have done it several times. Make sure you check to make sure it's not salvaged before making the trip. I've had positive experiences but Miami makes me twice as nervous.

Yeah, anywhere in Miami or New Jersey just makes me uneasy when it comes to cars.

Just do your homework and trust your gut. I flew from Eastern SC to Dallas to buy my Mustang and drove it back with dad. Loved every minute of it.

This is the opposite of car shopping.

I just paid off the Outback! NO. MORE. CAR. PAYMENTS.

Best feeling ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know from experience but I'm willing to bet making your last house payment feels even better.

Started shopping now for the spring. It's stupid how hard it can be to get leather in a car. Companies want to offer all this tech that I don't necessarily want, yet as soon as you option leather, huge price jump. Frustrating. All I want is awd, leather, and heated seats.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Started shopping now for the spring. It's stupid how hard it can be to get leather in a car. Companies want to offer all this tech that I don't necessarily want, yet as soon as you option leather, huge price jump. Frustrating. All I want is awd, leather, and heated seats.

It's ridiculously frustrating. I miss options being more a LA carte. It's the same way with good looking wheels. Why do I have to add navigation to get a car that looks good?

I really enjoy my Subaru Legacy and I have all 3 of the things that you want. But I agree, trying to find that in a non-SUV was pretty hard to do.

Used 328i with xDrive. Audi A3 or used A4. There are used A3s already as well

Used Legacy GT would also fit the bill although after 4 Subaru's, I'm one of the few that doesn't find them all that great.

It's ridiculously frustrating. I miss options being more a LA carte. It's the same way with good looking wheels. Why do I have to add navigation to get a car that looks good?

I agree. I get why everything is packaged now, but it's super frustrating. Looked at the new Hyundai Tucson and had to go to one of the top two models to get leather. $35000+ for a Hyundai, no thanks.

I really enjoy my Subaru Legacy and I have all 3 of the things that you want. But I agree, trying to find that in a non-SUV was pretty hard to do.

I've looked at couple different Subaru's, but I'm not just a fan of their interior layout. Great awd package though, still on the shirt list for that reason alone.

Used 328i with xDrive. Audi A3 or used A4. There are used A3s already as well

Used Legacy GT would also fit the bill although after 4 Subaru's, I'm one of the few that doesn't find them all that great.

That appears to be the direction I'm looking right now. CPO A4's can be had for a pretty good deal with really low KM. Plus the warranty is decent on them.

I need a minivan. Kid number 3 is simply a bridge too far for the Jetta. In a fit of irony, my Mustang isn't worth enough to trade in, and probably not worth the effort to sell, so I will probably get to keep it.

With that being said, is it worth it to bite the bullet and throw down on the more expensive Honda Odyssey, or is the Kia Sedona a worthy adversary? We're trying to stay under $34K new and $26K used.

Ah the minivan purchase. The day life really if over.

Good luck in your search sir

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ah the minivan purchase. The day life really if over.

Good luck in your search sir

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Not really. I keep my Mustang GT. It fits my golf bag, and not much else, courtesy of the sub-woofer. Life continues apace, my wife's car just gets bigger!

My dad bought a 2012 BMW 335i yesterday. Mineral Gray with black interior. It is nearly fully loaded (missing the full M Sport package, driver assist package and cold weather package although it has heated seats still) and was only $27k. The car's sticker was close to $57k when new. It's also the late model year 2012 so still has factory warranty and service for another year. For $27k, you can't beat what you get. The car is so freaking sweet and quick! I'm jealous...

I need a minivan. Kid number 3 is simply a bridge too far for the Jetta. In a fit of irony, my Mustang isn't worth enough to trade in, and probably not worth the effort to sell, so I will probably get to keep it.

With that being said, is it worth it to bite the bullet and throw down on the more expensive Honda Odyssey, or is the Kia Sedona a worthy adversary? We're trying to stay under $34K new and $26K used.
I heard a lot of good things about the Sedona. In the end, I went with a Odyssey. I owned a prelude and was impressed with Honda quality and reliability plus a lot of reviews put it or the Toyota Sienna at the top of the list in terms of creature comforts, features and milage. Best to drive the two to compare.

We just leased the wife a 2016 Sorrento. She really wanted a 4Runner but settled on something more affordable. Not bad so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back