Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP sent out grips to forum members for review. This thread will serve as host for those reviews and to answer any questions that THPers have about the product.

about_main.png

Well, now that I have my grips installed and drying, I guess I'll kick this off with my initial impressions.

The contents of the box included three grips, four strips of grip tape, a product flyer, and regripping instructions. There was also a very nice welcome letter from Dale Rehus, VP at JumboMax Golf Grips.

Spoiler
IMG_20131015_184409_031_zps71d07695.jpg

The letter explained that they have provided three grips for testing, and asked us to install them on our driver, a mid-iron, and a scoring wedge. It also explained that JumboMax grips are so large so that they A) naturally fit into both your palm and fingers (which they refer to as Finger-Palm Grip technology), and B) to automatically trigger you to grip the club with lighter pressure. The letter further explained that JumboMax grips do not stretch, so liberal use of solvent is suggested for installation (ignore at your own risk).

First impressions

Size
Big is an understatement. JumboMax grips are very appropriately named. I've played oversized grips in the past, and I still don't think that I was adequately prepared for just how oversized these are. And I received the Medium size.

Size comparison with other grips
Spoiler
IMG_20131015_193212_302_zps2d0058e0.jpg

From left to right we have: I-Line regular, JumboMax Med, REL Med, REL Reg, JumboMax Med, Crossline Oversize, JumboMax Med

Feel
I think the best word I can use to describe how these feel in hand is stout. Even straight out of the package, you can tell that this grip has substance. Get them installed and back in your hands, and it changes the overall feel of the club as well. Even with a very light grip, the sheer surface area of contact makes it feel very secure. I gave the clubs a few waggles after getting the grips installed, and I definitely felt well connected and in control of the club.

I've gotten very used to tacky grips lately. The JumboMax grips do not have a very tacky feel to them right out of the package. Once they dry I'll give them a once over with a Gripe to see if that changes at all. The grips are very smooth with almost no texture or pattern to them, so performance in wet conditions may be a future testing consideration. They have a very moderate amount of give before you can feel the solid core.

Spoiler
4e280ae6-84e3-4275-a5a5-91be1bca1a05_zpsca54390e.jpg

Installation
Hey, remember up above when I mentioned that JumboMax warned us that the grips don't stretch? Remember when they said to apply the solvent liberally? Yeah... do it. Think you've got enough? Use more. Also, don't be like me and do your driver first because you'll probably use more solvent on the second grip than you did on the first one. I don't have a shaft vice, so the downforce that I was putting on the driver shaft was a little excessive. I actually pulled the grip back off and reapplied more solvent. After that it went really smoothly. Steel shafts were not a problem at all.

I chose to install the grips on my Driver, 7I, and PW as requested. I fully stripped all old layers of tape and used only one layer of new tape. All three grips are logo up. Since there's no distinct alignment mark, I didn't find myself twisting the grips to make sure that they were perfectly aligned, and all in all the installation was very easy.

Now for the hard part ... waiting to give them some swings.

Last edited:
Great start to this thread! Those things are huge!

Dang they aren't kidding when they say jumbo. Nice initial thoughts. Really looking forward to following along with this one.

Agreed, great start! They look massive.

Shark, excellent initial post dude! Good insight, very nice pic's, and its broken-up/organized very nicely dude. Keep it up!

As for the grips, I'm SO stinking intrigued!

Shark, excellent initial post dude! Good insight, very nice pic's, and its broken-up/organized very nicely dude. Keep it up!

As for the grips, I'm SO stinking intrigued!
If they can limit the "rights" that I have with my driver, I will be a big believer.

If they can limit the "rights" that I have with my driver, I will be a big believer.

Same here. My driver is pretty much a push-fade factory. I aim left of left and still end up in trouble on the right hand side.

Interesting that they don't give on installation! For those of us who use compressed air installation, I wonder if it would still work? Or not so much?

Mine should arrive tomorrow and as per their request, I will regrip the stock shaft I have for my driver, my 7I, and my 50* AW. really interested to see this side by side in terms of accuracy and my swing. I hit my driver with a wicked slice that is slowly being tamed, my irons are high and straight, sometimes slightly to the left, and my wedges lately have been hit or miss. I can hit them dead on, or completely destroy the shot I want.

Awesome initial thoughts Shark, they really are beasts! Plan on installing on the same clubs as you, although I may decide to do a slightly higher lofted wedge.

Shark: fantastic start buddy!!

With 3 grips provided it makes it easy to determine what they will be installed on per their recommendation.

I like that you used the word "stout" to describe these. They definitely give you sense that you have more control than normal and also IMO the sense that you can "swing for the fences" due to the grip being so large in your hand (think baseball bat).

Interesting that they don't give on installation! For those of us who use compressed air installation, I wonder if it would still work? Or not so much?

I'm a lover of the air install and I'm going to try it on mine. Honestly not sure what to expect. If I happen to ruin one, I will order a replacement...no biggie.

I have the driver and 54* wedge that they will go on now but am awaiting some irons to arrive before I do the mid iron install.

Excited to hit the range with these this weekend!

Shark nice initial writeup.

I was wondering if these would be a tad more difficult to install than regular grips are. I kind of pictured them feeling like the Winn wrap grips, but it sounds like it doesn't feel like them at all.

any of you testers worried about mid round going from jumbo grip to regular grip? that would totally mess with my head

Appreciate it Cookie! Don't hurt yourself in the process. Might want to add a bit of water or something just to add a touch of ease putting it on there

any of you testers worried about mid round going from jumbo grip to regular grip? that would totally mess with my head

Not at all. I could see how it could affect some people but I dont personally worry about that stuff. My swing is my swing. If anything, these are going to help.

I think that would mess with me after seeing the drastic difference from Shark's post.

I don't think so, I tend to not get bothered by minor things like that. When I previously had one of these on a driver I had no issues at all with the rest of the bag being standard.

Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

Also wanted to share a potential concern of mine:

I use a stand bag and sometimes I feel grips grabbing on the way down to the bottom of the bag. I realize we are testing 3 grips so the issue may not be prevalent, but what about a set that had 13 of these? Would it be more challenging getting clubs in & out.

Also wanted to share a potential concern of mine:

I use a stand bag and sometimes I feel grips grabbing on the way down to the bottom of the bag. I realize we are testing 3 grips so the issue may not be prevalent, but what about a set that had 13 of these? Would it be more challenging getting clubs in & out.

I had the same thought Cookie. I would imagine it would be an issue if you dont have full length dividers.

Shark nice initial writeup.

I was wondering if these would be a tad more difficult to install than regular grips are. I kind of pictured them feeling like the Winn wrap grips, but it sounds like it doesn't feel like them at all.

They were easy to get started over the end of the club, and with enough solvent it wasn't really much of a problem. On the one that I did have trouble with, once I got about a third of the way onto the tape the grip just stopped. A vise may have made a significant difference as well.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about it, but I'm definitely interested to see what does happen.

Not sure I'm worried, as it's only three clubs, but definitely curious to see different results (hopefully for the better).
I had the same thought Cookie. I would imagine it would be an issue if you dont have full length dividers.
One of the reasons I switched golf bags last night, was in preparation of this testing. Definitely interested to see how the grips mesh with different bags...and I just happen to have bags with 14 way tops (both stand and cart), a woodie top, a five way top, and a staff bag. I went back to the 14 way stand bag last night, so I'd be able to tell how the individual grips slide in and out of their respective slots.

I have tried to stay away from reading to much into the inital postings for this thread until I receive my grips this afternoon. I don't want to dilute this thread with based upon what the other testers are experiencing intially with the grips.

Mward, I will be installing the grips using the air compressor method with minimal solvent.

Look for my review this evening.

It would be strange to me to have such a big difference in grip size. Still looking forward to this thread as I will be re-gripping over the winter, before next season starts. Really considering these, or at least oversized.

Back