Interesting Club & Bag Setup Thought - Second Driver

I still need that off the tee gap though.

I was more talking about Wardy, since it doesn't sound like there was a gap there for him :alien:.

I'm trying to re-work the top end of my bag now, and this approach intrigues me. If the Heavenwood goes back in the bag (and I think it will), the 3W becomes a tee only club, and if you look at something like the Bertha Mini, I'm not hitting a 14 degree fairway off the turf with anything approaching reliability. On the flip side, hitting the 4W off the tee isn't exactly my favorite.

At that point, i'd forget about the idea of the second driver and just throw that in the bag.

Dead to me.

It really is a solid driver/shaft combo. Dumb surprising

I was more talking about Wardy, since it doesn't sound like there was a gap there for him :alien:.

I'm trying to re-work the top end of my bag now, and this approach intrigues me. If the Heavenwood goes back in the bag (and I think it will), the 3W becomes a tee only club, and if you look at something like the Bertha Mini, I'm not hitting a 14 degree fairway off the turf with anything approaching reliability. On the flip side, hitting the 4W off the tee isn't exactly my favorite.

No sir, he hit it the same distance as his GBB and he murders that thing.

No sir, he hit it the same distance as his GBB and he murders that thing.

That would be a combo I wouldn't mind trying a few more times. The GBB is a darn good driver, but that XXIO I didn't have to swing hard to get the same performance out of it.

Damn this is a cool idea. I kinda want to do this with my R15/raw PX proto now. Swingweight is pretty high now, a little above D8. I could easily take an inch off it and go down to 44.5 while keeping around a D2 swingweight.

Think I just convinced myself to set my fly z to a higher loft and chop down the shaft an inch or so. Then use my m1 as a normal driver at regular length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead to me.

It really is a solid driver/shaft combo. Dumb surprising

Just saying - sounds like you crush it. Go with what works. I've only taken a few swings with the Prime with really beat up range balls, but it seemed like a fantastic head.

I think once I pick up whatever driver I decide to buy for 2016 I'm going to dial my R15 up to 16* and cut it down to 43.5" and use it instead of a 3/4 wood for the time being. Why the heck not?

Woodbrids or Rescuewood , my experimental fairway wood #5 , cut to 40 inch.

20150618_121737_zpsmiwxvi3f.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of 2 drivers, one cut down to a 3 wood length. I just picked up a Callaway Mini 1.5 which has a 235cc head and played my first round with it. I set it at 13 degrees and the shaft is a 43.75" Kuro Kage x flex. Very, very pleased with how it performed on it's first outing. I hit 10 of 11 fairways with it today and hit all but 1 of those 11 greens in regulation. It's definitely more forgiving than any 3 wood I've owned and I didn't have any trouble hitting it off the fairway on a par 5 today.

Another round in the books and here is what I saw today.
14 tee shots
8 with Great Big Bertha
6 with XXIO Prime shortened

Average distance with GBB was 247.7 yards (according to GPS)
Average distance with XXIO Prime 228.4

Very little roll was out there today. My long was 279 and it did get some roll. My short was 217 and it was a high fade that landed on the right side of the fairway.

I hit every fairway but 1 with with the GBB and hit all but 2 with the XXIO (and they were close) and it was a good day of driving for me obviously.
The XXIO is playing 2 inches shorter than the GBB now and is fitting the gap perfectly. I find that I can take quite a bit off of it to guide it in or I can let it rip for a nice high tee shot.

Interesting shot of the day. I was 1 under heading to a 501 yard par 5 that has water in front of the green on the left. Instead of taking GBB and giving myself a chance at it, I purposely took the XXIO and took the decision out of my hands. That left a smooth AW in on my 3rd and made an easy par and just missed birdie.

Overall, I am sticking with it, because I am loving what I am seeing so far.

I didn't fully understand what you meant when you first posted this thread, but after your round today, I get it. This makes total sense, you're not losing any balls or getting unplayable and it sets up your approach perfectly and you have the setup in your bag for scoring so I think this setup is perfect.

14 tee shots
8 with Great Big Bertha

Very little roll was out there today. My long was 279 and it did get some roll. My short was 217 and it was a high fade that landed on the right side of the fairway.

I hit every fairway but 1 with with the GBB and hit all but 2 with the XXIO (and they were close) and it was a good day of driving for me obviously.
The XXIO is playing 2 inches shorter than the GBB now and is fitting the gap perfectly. I find that I can take quite a bit off of it to guide it in or I can let it rip for a nice high tee shot.

Interesting shot of the day. I was 1 under heading to a 501 yard par 5 that has water in front of the green on the left. Instead of taking GBB and giving myself a chance at it, I purposely took the XXIO and took the decision out of my hands. That left a smooth AW in on my 3rd and made an easy par and just missed birdie.

Anyway I could try this out sunday? might be something to consider that gives me better than 3 woodish distance (or close) but more forgiveness and makes it so I hit my Driver less frequently (currently my Fade has turned into a slice for some unknown reason)

I like how that's working out for you JB. I've not thought about trying this, but it makes a lot of sense as I don't use my 3 wood much either.

I didn't fully understand what you meant when you first posted this thread, but after your round today, I get it. This makes total sense, you're not losing any balls or getting unplayable and it sets up your approach perfectly and you have the setup in your bag for scoring so I think this setup is perfect.

Thanks. It really was working well for me today as I played to the 150 yard marker a lot and tried to go all out when I could.

Anyway I could try this out sunday? might be something to consider that gives me better than 3 woodish distance (or close) but more forgiveness and makes it so I hit my Driver less frequently (currently my Fade has turned into a slice for some unknown reason)

Of course, as long as you know the rule, you skymark it, you replace it...haha

Of course, as long as you know the rule, you skymark it, you replace it...haha
I'll make sure to bring the emergency credit card just in case:clown:

14 tee shots
8 with Great Big Bertha

Quoting this because I typed the wrong driver.
I played the XR 16 instead of the GBB.

Quoting this because I typed the wrong driver.
I played the XR 16 instead of the GBB.
Any noticeable difference between the GBB and XR 16? I'm looking to replace my R15... obviously after club clash but interested to hear your thoughts

Any noticeable difference between the GBB and XR 16? I'm looking to replace my R15... obviously after club clash but interested to hear your thoughts

Not the right thread for my feedback on that, but I have posted in the XR 16 thread.

Do you think it is the extra spin from the higher loft that makes the difference in accuracy, the shorter shaft, or both?

i use an SLDR Mini for tight holes and it works well, but have wondered about doing the same thing with a high-lofted, shortened 460cc driver for even more forgiveness.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of things starting with size. Then weighting that leads to spin as much as loft does and then length.

This setup will be in place on Sunday with THPers again and will run with the XR16 at driver 1 and XXIO at driver 2.

Since my M1 3 HL hasn't arrived yet tomorrow I'll be taking a page out of JB's book. In place of a 3-5 wood I'm going to rock a 44" R15 driver at 16 degrees loft. It tends to launch high and spin even higher but it's easy to make good contact with the ball and it's a fairway finder for me. We'll see how it goes.

Another round yesterday with THPers and another round where I am loving this setup. The spinnier and higher launching driver worked tremendously well when playing a shorter hole or one where I am taking the guess work out and going after a certain area on the course.

Since my M1 3 HL hasn't arrived yet tomorrow I'll be taking a page out of JB's book. In place of a 3-5 wood I'm going to rock a 44" R15 driver at 16 degrees loft. It tends to launch high and spin even higher but it's easy to make good contact with the ball and it's a fairway finder for me. We'll see how it goes.

Army hasn't chimed in yet, but this was pretty ridiculous on Saturday. He hit that 16* R15 off the deck 4 times and smoked it damn near every time - including a few times out of some deeper rough. First time in my life I've ever seen anyone hit driver 18 times during a round :bulgy-eyes:

Back