I blame the clubs!!

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
So, a while ago, I did a fitting to make sure my irons weren't too long for me. Did the dynamic fitting with the black plate on the floor to check lie, face tape to show the ball mark, etc.

The fitter, a GG employee, said that everything seemed OK.

Fast forward a few months, and I have 3 lessons under my belt. Good information, got drills, etc., quite pleased with the lessons.

Also, got a couple of swing videos to look over.

Now, here's where I have my issue/question/theory. In my video, during my downswing, I pull the butt end of the club towards my body, bending both elbows, and pulling my shoulders up. I am theorizing this is the result of playing too many years with clubs that are too long form my short stature. If I keep my left arm straight, I'll hit it fat, so, to compensate, I do this funky "hara kiri" move.

Noticing this from my video, I have been watching lots of PGA, LPGA, and Champions broadcasts, looking at specifically how long the clubs are in relation to their bodies. Most of them have clubs that only reach about halfway up their thigh, whereas my clubs are almost at my navel.

So, in my usual reactionary way, I'm half tempted to drive over to GG and have 3-4" chopped off all my irons.

Anyone else out there of my height who has addressed this? (all 5' 4 1/2" of towering menace that I am.)

3-4" is a bit extreme. You don't want to take that much off, besides making them horribly short, the swingweight would be so light, it would make them even worse than being too long.

I'm only 5'5" and I was fit to irons 1/2" short, 1.5* flat on a couple sets.

I'd have to say 3-4" is a bit of an over reaction. However, between 1/2" to 1" might not be a bad idea at your height. That will minimize the consequences from cutting the shaft down but then it may not feel right.

I am 5'8" (pure physical specimen) and all of my irons are 1/2" short and 2* flat.

3-4" is a bit extreme, but I'd bet you'd benefit from an inch off.

I am 5'8" (pure physical specimen) and all of my irons are 1/2" short and 2* flat.

3-4" is a bit extreme, but I'd bet you'd benefit from an inch off.
I must be weird. I'm about that same height (5' 9" on a good day I say) and I'm standard length, 2* upright. Just shows how you can't generalize anything based on those charts we've all seen.

I'm 5'6 and usually like my clubs 1/2" shorter than "stock". however stock lengths differ. If by chance you are hitting something with a graphite shaft most companies sell the graphite 1/2" longer than the same club in steel for swingweight reasons. 3-4" is extreme, I wouldn't look at anything more than 1" but start at 1/2" and you can always cut more off of you feel so. I will also add that some pros feel if you are getting fit with a lie board just walk away from the fitting.

I could see half an inch, or maybe an inch, but 3-4" is going to be a ton on an iron. My wife plays her clubs at -1" from the men's standard, and she's about 5'4". I'm 5'6" or so, and I'm standard in Ping/Mizuno/Srixon, and probably -1/2" in everyone else.

In terms of where your clubs sit in relation to your body, there are a lot of factors - you may have your hands too high at address/far away from you to prevent having the toe look to much up at address, which might make the club seem "taller" at address. That's an issue I have when I play clubs that are on the long side for me.

The fitter at GG said at 5'4" you were good with standard length and lie clubs? I'd say go to an actual reputable fitter. no way at 5'4" you should be playing the same length and lie as someone at ~5'10" - 6'0", which is the height that "standard" clubs are made for. That doesn't make sense at all. Just don't make the adjustment decision on your own, or you could make it worse the other way.

I'm 5'7" and play standard length irons. It's not that odd.

I'm 5'6" ISH…ok, 5'5" and a half. And was just fit into irons at -1/2" length, standard lie.

I was fit to a 46" driver two years ago though. I just don't think there is a magic formula for height/club length comparisons.

If you aren't happy with your current club specs, maybe schedule a new fitting with someone else? A new fitting will be less expensive than shortening your clubs…that not working…then having to reshaft or replace them.

Yea, that's why someone fitting standard length and lie for someone who is 5'4" is IMO ridiculous and I wouldn't trust them. I honestly would find it impossible that someone 5'4" could set up a standard length and lie club behind the ball correctly. Lie angle being the most important. Something has to give on a set of irons built for a general set of people between the heights of 5'10"-6'0" if someone 5'4" is playing them.

Strike & consistency are all that matter. I mean, I'm maybe 5'6" with shoes on, and I play my irons at +1/2" and 2° upright. I keep my left arm straight, but my hands get close to my body and my on-time extension gets my left shoulder very high when my swing is on. Get as consistent a swing as you can, and get fit by a professional. It's not about height, it's not wrist to floor, it's all about what the face of your club is doing at impact.

also depends on your wrist to floor,I'm only 5'5 but I also have t rex arms and play my irons standard length.I'm sure if I had longer arms I would need them cut.

I'm 5'8" and have always played standard length irons and my driver at 45" (about .5" shorter than the average stock length these days). I play lies to Mizuno iron specs which are generally .5 degrees to 1 degree flatter than stock sets from other OEMs.

As others have said, it really is unique to your swing. I'm 5'6" and play standard length 3.5 degrees flat in my irons.

Before you have too much chopped off of your clubs, why not put a piece of tape around the end of the grip 1/2" and take your grip choking down a bit on the club and see if it feels better for you. Then move the tape to 1" and try that... the tape is there to remind you to choke down on the grip.

It sounds to me like the OP was told his specs were good based on his compensatory move on the golf ball. If that move is ingrained, it will look just fine in a static fitting. The fitter is just reading the data from you manipulating yourself into a serviceable golf swing.

I'd recommend getting the swing band aids eliminated and then go to a highly qualified fitter.

Scorpion, that is my plan at this point, marking off with some tape.

Heez, the swing is being worked on. I agree that is the first, and most, important step.

Um, what does the pro you're working with say?

If you're generally happy with him / her, maybe ask nice & they'll do a fitting that will complement the swing you're in the process of building.

At 6'3", I played forever with +1" 2 up shafts. After rebuilding the swing with professional help over the last 18 months, I now play standard length and 1 flat. Go figure.

Back