Do You Know How To Score?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I dont mean add, although there are some that apparently struggle with that too. :D
Im talking about scoring. When to take chances, when to lay back and be conservative and when to put the pedal on the metal.

Speaking with someone that knows a thing or two about scoring on the course she said that she often encounters one of three things with amateurs.

1. Balls to the wall and gets huge letdowns because of it.
2. Too conservative that never takes a chance.
3. Panic mode, as she put it, takes chances in spots, but usually the wrong spots.

Do you fit any of these?
Do you know how to score?

I like to think so, but I also think a lot of that comes from course familiarity. Not many courses around here I don't know fairly well. On a new course I sometimes tend to get a little aggressive when I know I should just layup.

I think "knowing a course" allows one to learn how to score at that course. Play a course enough, one learns where to take risks, where to throttle back, and where to play "safe".

I think it is unrealistic for an amateur to walk onto a new course and expect to score well. It does happen, but I tend to believe that is the exception rather than the rule.

I have never heard of the three thought processes that you mention above, JB, but that may be due to my never discussing the topic.

I do not think my golf game is good enough for me to differentiate "Balls to the wall" from Panic mode.

I can tell you that I have learned that it is better to hit hybrid than driver on some holes!

Working on my ability to score. I don't go for many par 5s in two so that's my most conservative play.

I look at pin placement and trouble around the green before deciding to go for the pin or play to fatter part of the green

I am Balls to the Wall all the way I know it and have been working on it. Seems to work out ok in match play but in stroke play I am my own worst enemy

probably 2. I'm not a birdie machine. I'm good for one, maybe 2 a round. I'm really scared of big numbers, so I've been known to lay back a good ways to avoid an unplayable or worse tee shot. same with par 5s. very risk averse pretty much in all aspects of life, and golf is life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea how to score. I would say I am in panic mode the majority of the time. I would love to get some coaching to get that part of the game figured out.

Historically I think I have been guilty of #2 and #3. In 2014 prep for MC, I learned a LOT! I have a much better understanding of how to score and realize that sometimes, Bogey IS scoring! I don't always remember this, but I understand it.

JM

I am from the school of Daly, always playing aggressive.

Before our talk in Pittsburgh? No. Immediately after? Yes. It made sense. I don't really fit either of the three you have listed and I do everything I can to avoid "quick sand". Par is good so take it when I can. When a chance comes and it feels right, take it. If not, par is still good

Mostly number 2 trying to avoid the big number. I'll go after pins as long as a penalty stroke won't come into play.

Always a work in progress and constantly learning from mistakes.

I feel like I have learned a lot about scoring over the past couple of years. Nobody will ever mistaken me for a great striker of the ball but I can typically put together a round of pretty good scoring. I do still take calculated risks at times but have learned to back off at other times to keep myself in holes and avoid big numbers. Coming to grips with myself and the strengths and weaknesses of my game has given me a better chance to more consistently score.

No. I fall into all 3 categories. To aggressive at times, and not aggressive enough when I should be. And, yes, I take chances occasionally, when I should probably be taking the cautious approach.

Just going off how low my GIR % is, but what my average scores have been to end the year, I would say yes I know how to score.

No, I dont mean add, although there are some that apparently struggle with that too. :D
Im talking about scoring. When to take chances, when to lay back and be conservative and when to put the pedal on the metal.

Speaking with someone that knows a thing or two about scoring on the course she said that she often encounters one of three things with amateurs.

1. Balls to the wall and gets huge letdowns because of it.
2. Too conservative that never takes a chance.
3. Panic mode, as she put it, takes chances in spots, but usually the wrong spots.

Do you fit any of these?
Do you know how to score?

We are talking about on the course and not at a bar, right?

My days @ the bar are long behind me. Occasionall, on the course, I can be vaguely competent.

I used to be #1, but as I've gotten better skill wise I've been better at managing the course and assessing the situation. I know when to take a chance vs when to play it safe.

I play with the mindset of "Scared Money Don't Make Money" but that doesn't mean I have to be blindly ignorant of the situation either and completely screw up

We are talking about on the course and not at a bar, right?

My days @ the bar are long behind me. Occasionall, on the course, I can be vaguely competent.

Hahaha. Not in this case, but I can see the similarity.

I'm somewhat conservative but I'm not afraid of a risk if the reward is worth it and the odds are good. When I stopped taking crazy risks I started scoring better

I know how to score, but often fall under number 2. I tend to hate bogey more than I love birdie and it causes me to make A LOT of pars. Sometimes I should make birdie but other times I should make bogey and walk away with a par. It's something I'm going to work on this year and figure out when to be more aggressive and when to just play for par.

No clue how to score. Probably a bit too aggressive most of the time (wrong times), with a sprinkling of too conservative at other times.

I'm way too aggressive, and it definitely costs me. Oddly I'm the opposite on the hockey rink. I need to figure out how to flip those two this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to think so. If I do have a fault out of those three options it is being to aggressive. I never lay up on a par 5 unless there is a hazard I can't carry. I'm under the belief the closer you are the closer you will be to the pin. Very rarely do I not take dead aim at a pin.

I've played long enough to know when to go and when to back off. I tend to play safe, but have a go for it moment in every round. Just have to know when and where not to go all out. I score well most of the time because I can round after round with zero penalty strokes.

I'm more #1 I believe and I'm really working on not going after everything 110% .

Back