Graphite vs Iron shafts....much difference?

teed-off

Reaction score
Handicap
Graphite shafts are not as common in iron sets as they are in drivers and metal woods, however they are being seen more often these days probably due to the increase in variety of brands available, more being played on tour and cost becoming more reasonable.
My question for the folks out there who have played/tested various shafts is basic....is there an appreciable difference between the two? I realize that it can difficult to compare apples to apples in the world of shafts, but, for example if you were to test a PX 6.0 graphite shaft vs a PX 6.0 steel shaft back to back using the same head and under the same conditions would there be any dramatic difference in performance or feel that would possibly sway your decision when you purchase your next set of irons?

Someone more educated on the subject could offer more, but I think Graphite Iron/Wedge shafts have come a long way the last few years.

I will say my recoils are a lot more forgiving post round on my wrists and elbows.

I don't know how to answer your specific 6.0 steel vs 6.0 graphite question. What I do know is there is a graphite iron shaft out there that is very good and meets your needs.

Graphite shaft manufacturers have much more flexibility in how they can make the shafts compared to steel shafts. Graphite today is as good or better than most steel shafts.

I have always felt like graphite shafts felt smoother to me.

Graphite will generally feel a lot smoother, offer some shock absorption characteristics, and typically will provide better energy transmission characteristics and therefore higher ball speeds. That's what I saw on the Recoils I was fit into a few weeks back. I haven't purchased as of yet, but I'm SERIOUSLY considering it.

The one thing I notice most with graphite vs steel is the vibration dampening characteristics. I can hit balls forever with graphite shafts and not feel even a little sore after. For whatever reason, with steel I suffered more fatigue in my hands and elbows. In terms of distance, it's hard for me to really quantify it since I'm not striking the ball the same way every time. However, in my last fitting I was fit into Steel Fibers over traditional steel shafts and the numbers showed that I was getting about 7 yards more carry and optimal launch numbers (with a bad wrist too).

I switched to graphite last year as I had some elbow problems (tennis elbow ironically) mostly due to a really bad swing fault. My elbow pain lessened with graphite and after some lessons to work on the swing fault the pain has gone away completely. I will be sticking with graphite from here on out as I have not seen any drop off in performance plus the reduction in any aftereffects of playing golf in the hand/arm joints.

Definitely more expensive, but if you are thinking about it, I would test them out and see what you think.

Back