Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. This is what I am struggling with. I honestly dont feel like I need a hybrid right now with the way I am hitting my irons. Its the first time in my golfing career I am hitting irons the way I want to, especially long irons. I almost feel bad abandoning the Mashie's as they really have helped me alot and love the clubs.

That is why I went to a 3 iron and have not looked back. I really like the ball flight of a 3 iron over a hybrid. It is a lot lower and more penetrating. This really helps out on windy days off the tee. If I am hitting a 3 iron in to a green, I don't expect it to stop on a dime anyway.

That is why I went to a 3 iron and have not looked back. I really like the ball flight of a 3 iron over a hybrid. It is a lot lower and more penetrating. This really helps out on windy days off the tee. If I am hitting a 3 iron in to a green, I don't expect it to stop on a dime anyway.

I am thinking of just putting my 4 iron back in my bag and going with it for a while. I feel like I am almost betraying my Mashies.

I am thinking of just putting my 4 iron back in my bag and going with it for a while. I feel like I am almost betraying my Mashies.

If you have a 4 iron, try it. Keep the Mashie's around for if you need them someday.

If you have a 4 iron, try it. Keep the Mashie's around for if you need them someday.

I think I am going to do that. As for the Mashie FW, I started out great with it, but now just cannot hit it for the life of me. I dont know what is going on with my swing. I am really happy with my irons but my FW and hybrid game has gone straight in the toilet.

As much as I truly love my Mashie and Mashie FW, I made a swing change recently that is helping me tremendously with my irons but is killing me with my hybrid and FW. I am hooking everything with the Mashie because of the offset and not hitting the FW nearly as well as I was before. Not entirely sure what to do right now.

What did you change about your swing? I know I personally have different swings between driver, woods, irons, and wedges.. Can't you have the best of both worlds?

I think I am going to do that. As for the Mashie FW, I started out great with it, but now just cannot hit it for the life of me. I dont know what is going on with my swing. I am really happy with my irons but my FW and hybrid game has gone straight in the toilet.

I am not sure about that. I don't have one of those. Do you have another FW to test out with?

What did you change about your swing? I know I personally have different swings between driver, woods, irons, and wedges.. Can't you have the best of both worlds?
More rotation with my swing. It has cut down the fade dramatically with my irons and given me more distance and a high ball flight which is what I was looking for. I have tried to do use different swings and it just isnt working.

I am not sure about that. I don't have one of those. Do you have another FW to test out with?
No, I dont have any other FW to try out. I am thinking about just giving it a rest for a while.

I set up my Fitting Session with Golf Fit next Wednesday after work. I am looking forward to going in there with an open mind and ready to be 100% fit coming out. I am sorta nervous about what irons are going to be recommended. There are so many out there!

Should be fun Grant. What would suck is at the end he sits you down, goes over data, then slowly looks up and says, "Grant, after all this testing, and after pouring over all this data, I can 100% tell you, that without a shadow of doubt, the best irons out there right now for your golf game, are..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................R11's.

At least I would know they were 100% right. They might throw sone different shafts in them.

Tapatalkin

I wonder if they give you a top 3 to pick from.

JB, do you remember from GG's fitting?

Tapatalkin

It seems pretty incredible what a simple shaft change will do..

This is true. I just wonder what will be recommended. I will laugh if it is the same as what I had before like TC said. HAHA

I'm not hitting the Mizzies too good anymore and I've been hitting a ton of irons on the monitor looking for a solid replacement, so far these are the leaders according to my fitting guy.

Nike pro combo cb launch monitor was damn near perfect with the gain of 6 yds per club
Cleveland 588 cb/mb combo set, same distance as the nike's but higher launch and nicer overall feel
Wilson fg g2 and fg tour combo set. I hit these today and just flat out killed them, these were really long being a full club longer than my mizuno's.

It's going to be a tough decision, I've been playing Mizuno for years and before that Hogans for years. The deal on the Nike's is better with the trade in though

Just thinking out loud, going to a cavity back is humbling..

I'm not hitting the Mizzies too good anymore and I've been hitting a ton of irons on the monitor looking for a solid replacement, so far these are the leaders according to my fitting guy.

Nike pro combo cb launch monitor was damn near perfect with the gain of 6 yds per club
Cleveland 588 cb/mb combo set, same distance as the nike's but higher launch and nicer overall feel
Wilson fg g2 and fg tour combo set. I hit these today and just flat out killed them, these were really long being a full club longer than my mizuno's.

It's going to be a tough decision, I've been playing Mizuno for years and before that Hogans for years. The deal on the Nike's is better with the trade in though

Just thinking out loud, going to a cavity back is humbling..

FUnny you mention the FG 62's. Here's a post I put in that thread a few days back (it's eerily similar to what you're seeing)

So, yesterday, I met a friend of mine who was in the market for some irons at the Golf USA here in Ash-Vegas. Luckily, they weren't slammed busy, so Todd, the Manager there had some time on his hands to assist my friend in getting fit for some irons. There were three sets that were on the table: the W/S FG 62's, the 588 CB's, and the Mizuno MP 69's. Now, this friend of mine is someone I've golfed with quite a few times and he's a good ball striker, he's long, and he has to have something he likes looking down at. He currently has Cobra S3 Pro irons w/ S300 shafts and his miss is a draw that draws too much. Todd immediately knows that the shafts are just too weak for him. Out comes the Shaft Optimizer, and sure enough, he needs X flex. The Optimizer recommended PX 6.5's and KBS Tours in Xstiff. After a subjective feel test, KBS Tours were the clear cut winner for the shaft, so then it was time to find out which iron head worked best.

I don't have the numbers, but I do know that the W/S fitting cart at Golf USA only has 7iron heads where as the Mizuno and Cleveland offering were 6 iron heads. Bottom line, the FG 62 7iron completely outclassed the other two 6irons for this guy. He saw more carry distance average with the FG 62 than the other two, and it's a 7 iron!

It was pretty exciting b/c it just cements what I've always felt, and that's that W/S makes some of the most underrated products on the market. It sure was fun watching him go through this experience and the guys at Golf USA here in Ash Vegas sure do know what they are doing. They love their golf gear as much as we do and they put such an emphasis on a fitting, just like we do.

Dang it! Now I want these irons, LOL

That's interesting.. My dad actually has the same setup (well, his are regular shafts) but he's played Dynamic Gold S300 shafts for forever, so I'm chalking it up as just something new on his end..

Then again, maybe the KBS line just isn't for everyone.. I can't wait to see where you end up dude.

That's interesting.. My dad actually has the same setup (well, his are regular shafts) but he's played Dynamic Gold S300 shafts for forever, so I'm chalking it up as just something new on his end..

Then again, maybe the KBS line just isn't for everyone.. I can't wait to see where you end up dude.

Me too. I played the DG S300 before in my old R9s. Loved those shafts. The KBS is what came in them. Good shafts, but I just want more out of an iron. Workability baby!

FUnny you mention the FG 62's. Here's a post I put in that thread a few days back (it's eerily similar to what you're seeing)

That's funny TC, I swear they were explosive, but looking down at the Clevelands was like looking at a work of art, and hitting them was like listening to Marvin Gaye, I was getting it on lol.

Me too. I played the DG S300 before in my old R9s. Loved those shafts. The KBS is what came in them. Good shafts, but I just want more out of an iron. Workability baby!

I personally found the standard KBS shafts ballooned on me, but I think I was trying out the completely wrong shaft for me..

I really want to spend a couple rounds with some Project X shafts.. I'd love to get away from DG's personally. I really need to just get into club work haha.. Seems like it'd be fun.

I personally found the standard KBS shafts ballooned on me, but I think I was trying out the completely wrong shaft for me..

I really want to spend a couple rounds with some Project X shafts.. I'd love to get away from DG's personally. I really need to just get into club work haha.. Seems like it'd be fun.

I tried a KBS 90 in my TM 7i and the spin was out of control. I think a lot of that was due to me playing misfit length irons though and really having to "cover" the ball hitting down on it so hard.

I love the looks of PXs. The stepless versions are so sick looking. I don't seem to balloon the KBS, but sure do hit them high.

I should have had you hit my R11 irons with the KBS Tours in them when we were at the Outing. Of course, that being said, I think you would have still launched those higher than DG S300.

I should have had you hit my R11 irons with the KBS Tours in them when we were at the Outing. Of course, that being said, I think you would have still launched those higher than DG S300.

That is true. I love the R11s, but just wanted more of a players iron. I think. Watch Golf Tec recommend something with more forgiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back