The Car Shopping Thread

Doc wants a truck. Doc deserves a truck. Doc needs to wait until she's making Doc money. Hahaha

I think its going to have to happen soon though, her Patriot is at that "needs to go" time.

silverado 2500hd?

Glad to see your seal of approval on the VW diesels b/c I'm about to dump my crappy, shop ridden '09 Malibu for a 2015 Jetta TDI this weekend....

My dad and uncles all have Jetta TDIs, of various vintages. They're amazingly efficient. My dad drives his straight through down from Vancouver to visit me in LA area; starting with a full tank, he'll top up in Redding in northern CA and then be in LA with over 1/8th tank left.

Looked at a Jetta TDI on Friday night and was going to go back and look at it again on Saturday with my wife, but we stuck around at the BMW Tourney and didn't have time to get to the dealer before they closed. I'm kind of glad because there's a BIG mess going on with VW right now and it doesn't look very good for them.... something like a $20 Billion dollar fine and much more. Cars are going to have to be fixed and possibly lose MPG's... it's obviously just the beginning of the mess, but VW has been ordered not to sell any TDI's for the time being.

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

More than that they are going to lose substantial torque and horsepower .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So ridiculous the lengths the government has gone to to keep gas as the big dog over here.

I can promise you my diesel would not make it to the dealer for the recall.

Americans drive gas-guzzlers. When 40MPG is considered "Eco" you should really have a serious look in the mirror.

Here in Europe, 47MPG is considered Eco. Or actually more like 50MPG to be honest. We have cars doing over 75MPG, that's some serious economics!

Maybe it's because we drive smaller cars, with smaller engines and turbos..

FYI: My wife drives the AUDI A1. It has a tiny little 1.2 liter, 3-cylinder engine in it with 135BHP. It does over 40MPG
I drive the Peugeot I've mentioned earlier. It has a 1.6 liter 4-cylinder diesel in it, doing over 50MPG. (It's a really bad car though.)
I'll get my new company car anytime in the coming months, it'll be a BMW 116 diesel. It has a 1.5 liter 3-cylinder engine with just 116BHP (God knows I'm really not looking forward to that). It is an automatic though, we don't have many of those on the road here.

(I drive just over 50.000 miles per year by the way.)

In America 6-cylinders seems to be the going rate, coupled with an automatic. And those I've driven in the US are all extremely bad by the way and I've driven quite a few.. We don't really do automatics, they're more expensive then stick too...

So yeah I know the 1-series is small, but cars are expensive here. My employer has a set budget and I was not allowed to drive anything other then a BMW. Not that much choice then..

Problem is that you probably won't be able to pass emissions at some point without the recall fix....

So ridiculous the lengths the government has gone to to keep gas as the big dog over here.

I can promise you my diesel would not make it to the dealer for the recall.

Problem is that you probably won't be able to pass emissions at some point without the recall fix....
Not a problem in FL.

And as far as I know there hasn't been any cars failing state emission testing.

ahhh we have emissions testing like every 2-3 years here in Illinois.

and that's the whole thing.... VW built the software to send out different emissions when being tested than when actually driving.

Not a problem in FL.

Not a problem in FL.

Because the cars were designed to detect when they were being tested and modify performance for emissions standards.

Americans drive gas-guzzlers. When 40MPG is considered "Eco" you should really have a serious look in the mirror.

Here in Europe, 47MPG is considered Eco. Or actually more like 50MPG to be honest. We have cars doing over 75MPG, that's some serious economics!

FYI: My wife drives the AUDI A1. It has a tiny little 1.2 liter, 3-cylinder engine in it with 135BHP. It does over 40MPG
I drive the Peugeot I've mentioned earlier. It has a 1.6 liter 4-cylinder diesel in it, doing over 50MPG. (It's a really bad car though.)
I'll get my new company car anytime in the coming months, it'll be a BMW 116 diesel. It has a 1.5 liter 3-cylinder engine with just 116BHP (God knows I'm really not looking forward to that). It is an automatic though, we don't have many of those on the road here.

In America 6-cylinders seems to be the going rate, coupled with an automatic. And those I've driven in the US are all extremely bad by the way and I've driven quite a few.. We don't really do automatics, they're more expensive then stick too...

So yeah I know the 1-series is small, but cars are expensive here. My employer has a set budget and I was not allowed to drive anything other then a BMW. Not that much choice then..

We are definitely behind in fuel economy, it's only in the last 10-15 years that fuel went up enough to make it a major consideration. But our vehicles tend to fit a different need than they do in Europe, we drive much more highway miles, and are used much more for mixed use than most of the more centralized countries in Europe. Plus we like to go fast :)

We are finally starting to get some vehicles with decent performance AND decent mileage. Up until very recently it seemed like if you wanted the later you had to deal with a VERY boring car for the most part.

A VW PASSAT 1.8T is about $21.500 without any options.
In my country a PASSAT with about the same options and that same engine starts at €41.000 (roughly $45.900)

Because the cars were designed to detect when they were being tested and modify performance for emissions standards.

ahhh we have emissions testing like every 2-3 years here in Illinois.

and that's the whole thing.... VW built the software to send out different emissions when being tested than when actually driving.

Two thoughts:
State emissions testing that are done at the testing stations are MUCH less stringent than the federal regulations we are talking about. I'm willing to bet the VW's in question are still put off less emissions than the average vehicle on the road.

I get that, but why would it change now? I doubt the states are going to put out new testing procedures just for the VWs.

In my country a PASSAT with about the same options and that same engine starts at €41.000 (roughly $45.900)

How much of that difference is taxes?

I don't know if the emissions are less than a regular vehicle or not. But from what I read, VW has to change the software to not be able to figure out when it's being tested.... and possibly fixed the car as well so that the cars are within the testing standards. It's a whole big mess that still has a lot to sort out. But this is just first pass information coming through.

Two thoughts:
State emissions testing that are done at the testing stations are MUCH less stringent than the federal regulations we are talking about. I'm willing to bet the VW's in question are still put off less emissions than the average vehicle on the road.

I get that, but why would it change now? I doubt the states are going to put out new testing procedures just for the VWs.

Thats a big mess, i Cant beleive they are complaining about that when huge pickup trucks and hummers are just fine

But you can go to the VW dealer right now and buy one. We can't at the moment. I'm referring to the TDI of course.

30 MPG is considered a "gas sipper" over here LOL. As much as I loved my diesel back home (after I got it remapped), I love my big American gas guzzler I have now a whole lot more. When gas is less than $3 a gallon, I really don't care if I struggle to get 20mpg LOL.

You guys also drive on the wrong side of the road.

Grats.

Finally decided on a new car this past Saturday. We went with the Kia Optima. It was tough not to go with the accord, but the Optima was just too good of a deal to pass up. It had all of the bells and whistles that we wanted (which were not many) unlike the Accord. The dealership we used was very easy to work with and there was no high pressure stuff happening. Very pleased with how things worked out.

Finally decided on a new car this past Saturday. We went with the Kia Optima. It was tough not to go with the accord, but the Optima was just too good of a deal to pass up. It had all of the bells and whistles that we wanted (which were not many) unlike the Accord. The dealership we used was very easy to work with and there was no high pressure stuff happening. Very pleased with how things worked out.
They are nice cars. Every time I see one I can't believe it's a Kia.

Congrats!

Anyone know much about BMWs? The wife and I have been thinking about getting a convertible since moving to SoCal. I've been eyeing this car because it looks sweet and seems like a screaming deal, but at the same time has me wondering what might be wrong with it. http://www.importsautooutlet.com/2006_BMW_6 Series_Spring Valley_CA_257955877.veh

6 and 7 series don't seem to hold value all that well. That's part of the price.

I've had a few BMWs and wouldn't get one with 100k+ miles again. It's one thing if you drive it to the 100k mile mark and know all the maintenance. It's totally different with someone else driving it to 100k.

Jmo

The VANOS system is awful. I don't know why manufacturers need to over complicate something.

Also the fact they say you can go 15k between services yet have all this trouble with their VVT is confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back