Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Heavenwood ordered last night, Cobra Amp 5W out. Top of the bag is set for next season!

Heavenwood and other new Callaways were good enough to displace 20+ year old fixtures in my bag.

I never thought that I'd give up the PTs, especially when the OEMs were going so radically upright with their metals.

For years, all the new stuff set up with toe pointing skyward!

Flatter options finally becoming available again. Or maybe soles are more contoured so lie is less critical.

Why do I play a heavenwood?

ad107a6d78247c844355ffb2fa02de30.jpg

236 second shot into a par 5 to this result is why.

I can't wait for all the parts of my 3W to ship. Going with an AD DI-7x in the GBB. So so so excited. I think this one will be in the bag for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I played in a 3 clubs and a putter event on new years day and the conditions were much calmer than its first outing. I was hitting the 5w off the tee and the deck allday. I was usually hitting it to spots only around 10-15 yards behind where my driver normaly is. I did manage to hit one that we lasered to be 256 yards from the tee. That one was as far as i can hit driver there.. A nice smooth swing and i get an awesome straight high ball with a touch of draw... I then played in a medal event the next day and still didnt use driver that much. I cant believe the results im getting. Forgiveness is great cause i missed a few and still got results better than i shouldve.
im in full ponder mode now for the driver...

I played in a 3 clubs and a putter event on new years day and the conditions were much calmer than its first outing. I was hitting the 5w off the tee and the deck allday. I was usually hitting it to spots only around 10-15 yards behind where my driver normaly is. I did manage to hit one that we lasered to be 256 yards from the tee. That one was as far as i can hit driver there.. A nice smooth swing and i get an awesome straight high ball with a touch of draw... I then played in a medal event the next day and still didnt use driver that much. I cant believe the results im getting. Forgiveness is great cause i missed a few and still got results better than i shouldve.
im in full ponder mode now for the driver...
Uh... ya, if I was you I wouldn't even ponder anything, if those are legit stats book a fitting for a driver and 3 wood asap.

That real long one was an absolute pure strike with draw and downwind (~10mph) so im not focusing too much on that result. I jutst didnt think id be able to hit it that far.
Good ones have been around 220-225 off the tee with a couple maybe a hair longer.
I was told by the guy who watched me on the launch monitor, that im not swinging quick enough to get the full benefit of a 3w. I tend to agree with him by the results im getting. Perhaps its the shorter shaft than my old XR 3w or the higher loft but I LOVE IT. I was swinging at 87-90mph on the monitor... A bit of a stupid question here but is it common to swing a fairway wood as fast as a driver? Lighter shaft maybe?

Last edited:
That real long one was an absolute pure strike with draw and downwind (~10mph) so im not focusing too much on that result. I jutst didnt think id be able to hit it that far.
Good ones have been around 220-225 off the tee with a couple maybe a hair longer.
I was told by the guy who watched me on the launch monitor, that im not swinging quick enough to get the full benefit of a 3w. I tend to agree with him by the results im getting. Perhaps its the shorter shaft than my old XR 3w or the higher loft but I LOVE IT. I was swinging at 87-90mph on the monitor... A bit of a stupid question here but is it common to swing a fairway wood as fast as a driver? Lighter shaft maybe?

Not what I'd call common, but really it tells me there is definitely a fit (and comfort plays a role as well imo) thing going on. Could be shaft weight, could be a lot of things.

As far as the not getting benefit of a 3w thing, I assume he means as it pertains to loft/launch. A 4w lofted 3w could help there, but hitting the 5w like you are I would just run with it and wouldn't think twice about it.

Very cool you're enjoying it as much as you are, there's nothing quite as fun as just finding something that works.

I could see a 4w making its way into my bag, I'm looking to upgrade my FW of choice. I need to find a good fitting cart somewhere and have some fun.

I could see a 4w making its way into my bag, I'm looking to upgrade my FW of choice. I need to find a good fitting cart somewhere and have some fun.
Go hit the 816.

For you? Try the Rogue i/o, 70's weight. I think you'd like it.

Ya that sounds perfect for him. You'll like it a lot Kevin

Got a question for those who bag the GBB FWs ... I bought a GBB Divine Nine in mid-December to replace my 4H, then right after Christmas I traded in some equipment to pick up the GBB 7 Wood at Global Golf (with the 30-day playability guarantee). Was hoping to add a GBB 5 Wood down the road, when I saw a used GBB Heavenwood available at Global Golf for a good price (lefties get 15 percent off used clubs right now). All the clubs mentioned above have the KK Black 50 FW shafts in regular flex.

So, I have a few weeks to decide on whether to send back the used Heavenwood and keep to my plan to add a 5W in the spring, or do I (via the 30 day playability guarantee) send back the 7W and possibly pick up a 3W. If I go with the 5W, I'd probably strengthen the loft 1 degree, and if I go 3W I'd probably adjust the loft up.

So my two bag set-up options are either the "strong 5-7-9" or the "lofted-up 3-HW-9" ... all that said, does anyone here have any thoughts on the two proposed set-ups I've mentioned above? Any/all feedback would be appreciated ...

Mike
MPM1960

Finally I'll be able to put the 3w in play and see if I like it over the XR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to take the Heavenwood out for the first time on Friday and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. The driving range was closed because it was so wet so I had no warmup with it. The first time I used it was off the deck. Put a really easy swing on it playing to a distance and got the 200 yards I wanted right down the middle of the fairway. Such an easy club to hit! Only got to hit it a couple other times in my round, one off the deck I got around 215 yards out dead straight and the other was off the tee went 225 with a baby fade. Really good results for the first time out with it. I set it to draw setting on the hosel and I may loft down to lower the ball flight and get a little more distance next time I get out to the range.

Got a question for those who bag the GBB FWs ... I bought a GBB Divine Nine in mid-December to replace my 4H, then right after Christmas I traded in some equipment to pick up the GBB 7 Wood at Global Golf (with the 30-day playability guarantee). Was hoping to add a GBB 5 Wood down the road, when I saw a used GBB Heavenwood available at Global Golf for a good price (lefties get 15 percent off used clubs right now). All the clubs mentioned above have the KK Black 50 FW shafts in regular flex.

So, I have a few weeks to decide on whether to send back the used Heavenwood and keep to my plan to add a 5W in the spring, or do I (via the 30 day playability guarantee) send back the 7W and possibly pick up a 3W. If I go with the 5W, I'd probably strengthen the loft 1 degree, and if I go 3W I'd probably adjust the loft up.

So my two bag set-up options are either the "strong 5-7-9" or the "lofted-up 3-HW-9" ... all that said, does anyone here have any thoughts on the two proposed set-ups I've mentioned above? Any/all feedback would be appreciated ...

Mike
MPM1960

I would get on a launch monitor and see if the HW and D9 don't overlap in distances. When I was being fit out at ECPC these two were very close and really became redundant in terms of the gaps they were covering.

I would think the 3W and a HW or D9 would be ideal, but again depends on how the distances are shaking out on the monitor and how you use them on the course.

I would get on a launch monitor and see if the HW and D9 don't overlap in distances. When I was being fit out at ECPC these two were very close and really became redundant in terms of the gaps they were covering.

I would think the 3W and a HW or D9 would be ideal, but again depends on how the distances are shaking out on the monitor and how you use them on the course.

This, if possible hit them and see where you gap. For me, there was still a normal gap b/w the HW and D9, about 15-20 yards.

Finally got a chance to hit the course today and I tell you, this GBB Heavenwood is the real deal. So easy to hit and straight down the middle. If only all clubs were that easy to hit. If you are pondering a Heavenwood, ponder no more....just get one and you won't regret it.

Just built this club today, can't wait to hit it tomorrow!

Had a pretty good outing with this club today, I was very impressed. The sound is awesome, the cup face is fantastic and the launch was exactly what I was looking for in a three metal. I found it easy to turn the ball over and hard to hit a cut. This shot here I had 283 to the pin and was 10 yards short of the green.

1bf4817d856b9149c14736aac9ba1489.jpg

Is this a little bigger than the xr? Personally, the xr is the best 3 wood I have had. If this was slightly bigger then that could be something to ponder.

Is this a little bigger than the xr? Personally, the xr is the best 3 wood I have had. If this was slightly bigger then that could be something to ponder.
It is bigger than the pro, similar to the XR. I chose this club over my old XR Pro, no intentions of looking back.

Had a pretty good outing with this club today, I was very impressed. The sound is awesome, the cup face is fantastic and the launch was exactly what I was looking for in a three metal. I found it easy to turn the ball over and hard to hit a cut. This shot here I had 283 to the pin and was 10 yards short of the green.

1bf4817d856b9149c14736aac9ba1489.jpg

Sounds like you crushed it! What shaft is that? (sorry if I missed that somewhere)

Sounds like you crushed it! What shaft is that? (sorry if I missed that somewhere)
It was a good one for sure. The shaft is a Graphite Design AD DI-7x. The AD DI model was popularized by Tiger sometime back in 2011-2013. Not sure when he first started using it, but he (re)claimed his #1 WGR and FedEx cup standings spot with it and soon everyone and their dog had one.

Back