2016 THP Club Clash - The Gold Standard In Club Testing Sponsored By Evolve Golf

44583255321cb5dbd0bfd551fc7894d3.jpg

War may have won the social media contest by posting a billion tweets (maybe more), but this was the tweet of the day yesterday.

Yes, it's my tweet and I'm the one making the call. Haters gonna hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have never guessed the F6 plus would be the driver for me.
It is my new best friend

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Glad to see this driver get some love from this event. It's a really Good driver.

Follow up question: how many of the participants left confident one of the drivers tested would offer a consistent increase in distance and/or fairway-finding compared to the current gamer?
I was fortunate enough to have won the sunday drawing for fairway on #4 and picked the M1/Kuro Kage combo.

I really like my current XR but that M1 is LONG, straight, and slices through wind like a Hattori Hanzo sword. If i hadnt have won one, I would be hunting one down. I had my biggest ball speed/carry numbers on the range with it (168/290) and the pound town continued when i got it out on Sunday. By the end of the weekend, it had separated itself from the Ping LS Tec, XR Pro, and the M1/Rogue Silver combo.

Another point to mention is that I wasnt even looking at this club coming in to this event. My eyes were on Callaway, Cobra, and Ping.

But as others have said, all of these clubs are fantastic. None of them suck at all. Even some that I considered in my second tier were only behind the top in the smallest ways. We, as consumers, are very lucky right now

Very fun follow guys. Outside of getting fit I think this event shows how important it is to get fit hitting balls onto a range instead of into a net 10 ft in front of you (if available in your area). I know that my game improved a ton when I started getting fit a places where I could actully see real ball flight and results instead of simulated ones.

Follow up question: how many of the participants left confident one of the drivers tested would offer a consistent increase in distance and/or fairway-finding compared to the current gamer?

Really I felt 3 drivers would be as consistent in accuracy as my current driver and would give me more distance. The XR16, The XR16 Pro and the Mizuno JPX-EZ. The Nike Vapor Fly would be very close as well. The think that surprised me the most after it was all said and done was the JPX-EZ. I hated it on the range, but that was when it was lofted down. When I cranked it up to a higher loft it became a fairway finding bomber. Such a sweet driver.

War may have won the social media contest by posting a billion tweets (maybe more), but this was the tweet of the day yesterday.

I spit my beer when l read it

Sitting here reading over some notes from the range Friday and play Saturday. Friday I document thoughts on cards when it wasn't raining and took notes on my phone when it wasn't. Forgot to grab a pic of the cards, so I will definitely miss a few things about some clubs.
I'll start by saying there are so many good clubs out there. Some were surprising, and a few I thought would be good were better than expected. And then there is always one or two that just don't work for some.
Looks of the drivers ranged from hating, to things of beauty.
I will say that at the range on the GC2, the Callaway XR pro produced the longest drive of the day for me Friday. Not to say that there weren't others very close, but the top driver carry was XR pro.

I want to try the Cleveland black first on the course as I wasn't able to since it wasn't a new release but other wise, I'm 100% confident both the GBB and the M1 could replace my gamer, much more consistent fairway and a lot longer... By about 30 yards

This is the driver that work well for me. I learned a lot this weekend, and it was great to hit some many different drivers. I struggled a bit with the lofts and flex on most of the drivers. My next steps is to go get fitted. I think my numbers will change a slight bit without shingles hurting my left side. I will let the fitter know that D-200 and the JPX worked well for me. At this moment I like the JPX, but want to see what happens with different shafts and the numbers on the monitor ...

27C5B52A-4CB5-436A-9CEE-C1A85F9335EC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the driver that work well for me. I learned a lot this weekend, and it was great to hit some many different drivers. I struggled a bit with the lofts and flex on most of the drivers. My next steps is to go get fitted. I think my numbers will change a slight bit without shingles hurting my left side. I will let the fitter know that D-200 and the JPX worked well for me. At this moment I like the JPX, but want to see what happens with different shafts and the numbers on the monitor ...

[/URL][/IMG]
Glad you took a picture of it. You were ripping that club. Nice one-piece takeaway too

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

[/URL][/IMG]

Ken, you were bombing that Mizuno. I loved watching you hit it!!! Let us know what you end up with.

That JPX was a match made in heaven for you. Between that driver and RC11s swing magic you were a new man yesterday.

It was the TEE, and not just on that hole. My boy was straight up tearing the cover off the ball all day. That's partially how a 15 handicap shoots an 81 in tough conditions.

We played skins today for a hat in the pro shop and I'm still licking my wounds ;-)

Well played, Wake.

That was as fun of a match as I've played in a long long time. And the hat bet will be a new staple of mine. It's cool to walk away with a momento instead of a few dollars, and it made for a more relaxed round.

Hope to tee it up again soon.

That was as fun of a match as I've played in a long long time. And the hat bet will be a new staple of mine. It's cool to walk away with a momento instead of a few dollars, and it made for a more relaxed round.

Hope to tee it up again soon.
Thanks to kensisland for the idea!

And agreed, the most fun I've had on a golf course in a long time. We had some ridiculous lies.

Here a few extra pictures that I didnt get posted from this weekend. Apologies for name ending numbers mistakes

Brianmk
78f230883cf53f21c196e83d2a814858.jpg

Ced439
19f060e668028a5027e1c76869489c2c.jpg

Myself
6c6e8ab4ac05f22ed13a1717dac2ac46.jpg

Ced439 with a stiffy on a par 5
ceedafe0ec6c28db0a0ac9f9b9eba351.jpg

And my personal favorite, Mward approach on Ocean Course #2.
3fd87faa7581b5bcad17c4a9068e5f20.jpg

]

I don't think I hit anything farther than I do my gamer, last years XR is the highest launching driver I've hit I believe. I do think there were several options which were more consistent for me. Notably the Srixon, JPX EZ and Exotics EX9

i didnt hit the jpx but the other two work for lots if swing types and players. They are really close to just a plug and play type driver. Very easy to hit high, straight and far.

you pounded this every time I saw you hit it. Such an all around good driver.

And agreed, the most fun I've had on a golf course in a long time. We had some ridiculous lies.

Was good time playing with you sat afternoon. You have some really good and consistent ball striking.

Agreed, their were some hero shots attempted.
i didnt hit the jpx but the other two work for lots if swing types and players. They are really close to just a plug and play type driver. Very easy to hit high, straight and far.

you pounded this every time I saw you hit it. Such an all around good driver.

Was good time playing with you sat afternoon. You have some really good and consistent ball striking.
Agree completely, and you missed out on the JPX. Fun driver.

Thanks for all the feedback and the updates guys. I just got caught up and it looked like a blast. It was certainly fun and informative to follow. Just goes to show that sometimes the club you might not consider, is the club for you.

When I look at the drivers I hit and the numbers that came out 3 were good, 3 were bad and the rest were in the middle. My median carry distance for all drivers tested was around 238 when you look at my best and worst driver. This number did not change when I played on the course. Am I confident that there are two to three drivers that can outperform my current gamer (Titleist 915d2) consistently on both distance and accuracy?

Yes...but here is the caveat....while the on course testing took place on very hard courses...the size of the fairways were 1/2 to 1/3 larger than my home course. Going from being in the rough to seemingly always in the fairway is a big confidence booster...and perception of the driver. I need to get my top two on the course and compare it to my gamer.

Thanks Eric, had a blast with you, Dean and Randy. You turned it on going into the back nine. Will be down in the DMV soon, I'll drop you a line and we'll get out there.

Meanwhile, gonna buy tons of fresh Nike gear to keep up with you out there.

Thanks for all the feedback and the updates guys. I just got caught up and it looked like a blast. It was certainly fun and informative to follow. Just goes to show that sometimes the club you might not consider, is the club for you.

You hit the nail on the head with your comments. You need to have your eyes open and be willing to try different clubs from different brands. I had NO intention of hitting the Mizuno JPX EZ....none. It happened to be in Dean's bag on Thursday and I asked if I could hit it. I hit it great and got confirmation both in the numbers and on the course.

Back