Headed for winter

Generally I'm an all weather golfer, or as one of my buddies calls me a 'mudder'. :D I'll play in the rain, wind or cold but generally try to avoid combinations of any two. So I'll get out as much as the weather allows. I also have a golf trip in mid-January that's always... interesting. I'll also hit the heated range on reasonable days in the winter. Otherwise it's indoor putting/chipping and swinging the orange whip. I go to to Golfsmith/Golf Galaxy every once in a while to torture myself as well.

I know I'm wishing for something I'll be bitching about later but I hope cool weather hurries up, it's been hotter than should be allowed with tons of rain and humidity. It's annoying now lol.

I plan on many rounds on a simulator, and a mid-late winter trip to Turtle Bay, Oahu for 10 or so days.

I'll get some simulator time in at some point. The bigger thing is that I'm thinking of taking a series of lessons over the winter to try to make some progress on my swing. It's been a while since that has happened. Basically anything I do this winter will be more than last winter, where I didn't hit a ball for months.

November, December, January, February, March... the wasteland of the golfing soul. I don't do anything golf-related during these dark and trying times. The less I think about golf, the less depressed I'll get....

...What are your plans to keep your swing in tact. What have you done in years past that have worked well, or not so well. What will be different this winter.

It's really starting to look like winter is just around the corner here in Norway. It's dark after 7pm, the temperatures rarely creep over 50 and you can just feel that the long, cold winter is coming. This really upsets me, as I've had my best year golfing wise yet. As soon as there is frost, all the courses around here shuts down instantly, and they usually don't open again until late april/early may. That's a long time!

Back to the topic; during winter I usually play a golf simulator here in town. I'll try to play a couple times a week this winter, I think!

6 months without golf coming up..

As part of this country heads for less than appealing winter months. Colder temperatures, snow, and shorter days. What are your plans to keep your swing in tact. What have you done in years past that have worked well, or not so well. What will be different this winter.

First off - I friggin' detest winter!

Pretty much Kev if there isn't snow on the ground, I'm playing. Even if snow happens, I usually hit the range ( Arundel ) once a week. I do think though that this year I am going to take a complete break from hitting balls at all - lot of nagging aches / pains that could probably use the rest!

That's one of the advantages of being my age, I have multiple retired friends that snowbird in Florida, Arizona and California. They invite me to visit and play a week each winter. I also typically get to play locally at least a couple of times during each winter month. My buds and I commute to the OC area, it hardly ever gets snow and the temperatures seem to be about 10 degrees warmer in the winter.

Yea, my group usually plays that 'Southern Swing" in the winter as well - Queenstown, Cambridge, etc. The other good thing is that those courses are expensive in the Summer, but much more affordable in the winter.

Indoor golf, heated driving range, playing outdoors with extra layers.

I will work on my putting and try to keep the swing in tact as best I can through the rest of the year. I will likely shut it down after that until the spring.

Went out for 9 after work Monday and couldn't finish before dark which made me really sad. My plan for winter is a mat and net in the basement which let's me do full swings with everything higher than a 7 iron and half swings with the rest. Also have a putting green down there to help that part of the game. I will likely play some Sim golf for the first time ever and find some heated bays too.

Cleaned out the garage last weekend and got this all set up. Going to be spending alot of time in the garage this offseason:

e7b37a2dc95ddde83ef4b2f4bfc79dc2.jpg

Well the arrival of winter will coincide with the rehab from my knee replacements. So I plan on picking up where that leaves off and making use of our nice fitness center in our community. In addition to the treadmills and weights, it is plenty large enough for me to practice slow motion swings in front of the mirrors. My instructor said this is one of the best drills you can do inside. It helps you actually feel the correct swing and positions and helps ingrain it more than quick full swings.

I've used it a bit this summer recovering from my latest knee injury and I feel it has helped lengthen my swing a bit. Just a bit, but more work in the winter should lead to more improvement.

Plan here is to stay on the course as long as possible. 2 years ago it was almost every weekend though the winter. We had a lot of rain and more cold this past weekend so averaged only 2 rounds a month through winter. Hopefully a milder winter this year.

As part of this country heads for less than appealing winter months. Colder temperatures, snow, and shorter days. What are your plans to keep your swing in tact. What have you done in years past that have worked well, or not so well. What will be different this winter.

Pray for some days in the 40s without wind and not snow covered so I can sneak in some holes. Otherwise I will be buying a space heater for my garage hitting area and will try and get swings in a few days a week for as long as possible. But if we have another brutal winter like last year, even the garage might be too cold. Somewhere in there I am going to take a spell of not swinging a club at all and let my right elbow heal up too. Also do a lot of core workouts.

Pray for some days in the 40s without wind and not snow covered so I can sneak in some holes. Otherwise I will be buying a space heater for my garage hitting area and will try and get swings in a few days a week for as long as possible. But if we have another brutal winter like last year, even the garage might be too cold. Somewhere in there I am going to take a spell of not swinging a club at all and let my right elbow heal up too. Also do a lot of core workouts.

I'm hearing it from a lot of people that it's supposed to be as bad as last winter and perhaps even a little worse. Not looking forward to it.

I've got two indoor facilities within a 5 minute drive from me, and an outdoor heated range to work in. I've also scheduled a series of lessons over the winter, as my swing appears to have fallen apart somewhat towards the end of this year. This will be the first time I've done a series of lessons during the offseason, and the plan is to come back better than ever next year.

The golf season here in SW Va should last through Thanksgiving. For the winter I plan on working out, using my swingmaster a lot, and taking 2 30 minute lessons per week. That should be enough to keep me out of trouble.

This thread makes me sad...

Might try Golftec or try and join a simulator league and see how it goes.

What is this winter you all speak of? It is still reaching triple digits with heat index here in FL. Living here my whole life, I have never had a day too cold to play. Though I did play a round in the 30's and just wore 2 jackets.

What is this winter you all speak of? It is still reaching triple digits with heat index here in FL. Living here my whole life, I have never had a day too cold to play. Though I did play a round in the 30's and just wore 2 jackets.

It's a phenomenon that only occurs in areas that have bent grass greens.

The main reason I cut down on golf in the winter is because it gets too expensive to play here ($250 in winter v $30 in summer). Solved that problem by joining a club around the corner from my house, gonna use the range and course as much as my right elbow will permit.

The main reason I cut down on golf in the winter is because it gets too expensive to play here ($250 in winter v $30 in summer). Solved that problem by joining a club around the corner from my house, gonna use the range and course as much as my right elbow will permit.

Where did you end up joining?

Once the snow hits and the courses close I will take 2 weeks off and not touch a club. My instructor teaches indoors in the winter so I will see him once or twice a month and I will hit the simulator quite a bit

Back