How much would you pay to play.....

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Recently I got into a discussion in a different thread about PGA Tour courses, primarily private courses that most people can't get onto. I was surprised to find out that more than a few people wouldn't be willing to pay $150 (or more) to get out and play certain courses the tour plays. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I know $$$ plays a factor too. However, there are certain courses I would pay or try and pay quite a bit of money to get out onto, especially if the tour had just played there or is about to. All of the stands, scoreboards, sinage etc would be setup....could be a seriously amazing experience.

I'm intrigued to know which courses and how much my fellow THPers would be willing to pay out to play your dream courses....

Here are a few examples:

Augusta National:
Oakmont CC:
Firestone CC:
Shinnecock Hills:
Merion CC:
Muirfield CC:
Riviera CC:

you get the point......fire away!! Feel free to add your own too!

Last edited:
Recently I got into a discussion in a different thread about PGA Tour courses, primarily private courses that most people can't get onto. I was surprised to find out that more than a few people wouldn't be willing to pay $150 (or more) to get out and play certain courses the tour plays. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I know $$$ plays a factor too. However, there are certain courses I would pay or try and pay quite a bit of money to get out onto, especially if the tour had just played there or is about to. All of the stands, scoreboards, sinage etc would be setup....could be a seriously amazing experience.

I'm intrigued to know which courses and how much my fellow THPers would be willing to pay out to play your dream courses....

Here are a few examples:

Augusta National:
Oakmont CC:
Firestone CC:
Shinnecock Hills:
Merion CC:
Muirfield CC:
Riviera CC:

you get the point......fire away!!

Augusta National:$500
Oakmont CC: $150
Firestone CC: $150
Shinnecock Hills:$150
Merion CC:$150
Muirfield CC:$200
Riviera CC:$150

Ive played the majority on that list fortunately, but to me MikeDean441's numbers are pretty accurate.
Guess it shows the value of the grand THP Events...

All of these except Augusta do nothing for me. I usually set a $200 cap on courses unless it is special so that is what the rest get other than Augusta

Augusta National:$1500
Oakmont CC: $200
Firestone CC:$200
Shinnecock Hills:$200
Merion CC:$200
Riviera CC:$200

If it's a course on my bucket list and money isnt an issue, i'll pay whatever it takes. From that list AGNC & Riviera are the top two I would jump at playing.

Augusta: $500
Pebble Beach: $300
Hideaway: Everything I have

If it's a course on my bucket list and money isnt an issue, i'll pay whatever it takes. From that list AGNC & Riviera are the top two I would jump at playing.

Same for me, although I'd rank Merion and Oakmont over Riviera in terms of where I'd want to play, with Augusta still being #1.

To play Augusta I will pay whatever it takes

Ive played the majority on that list fortunately, but to me MikeDean441's numbers are pretty accurate.
Guess it shows the value of the grand THP Events...

You sir are one lucky man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of these except Augusta do nothing for me. I usually set a $200 cap on courses unless it is special so that is what the rest get other than Augusta

I feel the same way, except id go to $2,000 for Augusta.

Just one of those courses that you don't get very many chances to play, if at all.

I think I'm in the $1500 range for Augusta also

Maybe I'm different, but I enjoy the game and the experience (and the company) more than any course I'd ever play.

If the opportunity came up to play any of those courses, I would more than likely jump at the opportunity....but more than just the course would factor in to how much I would pay.

Augusta National:$2k
Oakmont CC: $500
Shinnecock Hills:$1k
Merion CC:$750
Muirfield CC in OH or Scotland? In OH, 200 in Scotland, whatever they're charging.
Riviera CC:$1000

And I'll add:

Cypress Point: 2k

It sure is a lot of money to play a round of golf at some of these places, but for the places where I'd pay a premium, I believe it would be an experience that would be worth it.

I've never cared much about playing big name courses. That said, as a Clubcorp member I can play Firestone for cart fees though I haven't yet had the chance to play there.

In my book Augusta is in a class by itself because of it's exclusivity and history. The others are just great private courses to me and I've played about 40 great private courses including Riviera and Muirfield.

Augusta I would pay a lot to play, certainly a couple months salary or more.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I would drop $300-400 on some courses that aren't on this list

It would depend entirely upon my situation & opportunity at the time. If I've planned a trip to where I know there's one of those courses I'd be paying what it takes.

I've never cared much about playing big name courses. That said, as a Clubcorp member I can play Firestone for cart fees though I haven't yet had the chance to play there.

Let me know. I'm a member there and would love to join you if you make it out!

Augusta National: Whatever it took
Oakmont CC: $500
Firestone CC: $250
Shinnecock Hills: $300
Merion CC: $300
Muirfield CC: $300
Riviera CC: $300

Maybe I'm different, but I enjoy the game and the experience (and the company) more than any course I'd ever play.

If the opportunity came up to play any of those courses, I would more than likely jump at the opportunity....but more than just the course would factor in to how much I would pay.

Im the exact same way. Give me a great venue (and they are everywhere), the makeup that makes a Grand THP Event and a good group of people and its better than any experience I had at some of the above.

Let me know. I'm a member there and would love to join you if you make it out!

Great! I now have a very good reason to go there. Thank you very much.

Augusta National:$500
Oakmont CC: $150
Shinnecock Hills:$150
Merion CC:$150
Riviera CC:$150
This is about where I'm at. I could go a bit more for Augusta, probably less than 1K still. But that's because that's about 3 years worth of golf budget for me.

Augusta National: wow...I'd pay up to $1000 for one time.
Firestone CC: $250
Shinnecock Hills: $150
Merion CC: $200
Muirfield CC: $250
Riviera CC: $150

Augusta I think I would pay whatever it took, the rest of them, somewhere in the 150-200 range.

I do think that there are certain course I would probably pass on. However, given the chance to play one the way it would be setup for the particular tourney would be pretty awesome!

Back