2016 Tour Championship to switch 9's

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
Announced this AM, the 2016 Tour Championship is going back to the roots of East Lake.... They are reversing the 9's. this means that the Championship will now end on a Par 5 and have 3 of the more challenging holes on the course in the final 5. This course will now play the exact way it did from a directional standpoint as to when Bobby Jones was here.

I personally like the change as it may yield some more finishing birdies and cause some more drama. While I love the 18th hole (which will now be 9).... It almost has played too hard and hasnt presented the type of drama they were hoping for. In fact, since 1998, the last three holes have produced 575 birdies and 1 eagle, in comparison; the new last 3 holes have produced 1,402 birdies and 18 eagles in the same period of time.

I always thought 9 would be a much better finishing hole. One of my biggest gripes about that tourney is 18 being a par 3. I've always wanted to attend this event and would love to post up on the new 18 and watch everyone come in.

I didn't care for the par 3 finishing hole.

I'm glad they made the switch, ending a tournament (and potentially the FedEx Cup race) on a par 3 in my opinion wasn't a great finish. I think having a par 5 with a little risk/reward option there will be pretty cool. Good move indeed!

Par 3 finishing holes just aren't the best way to finish, IMO. This should be a good change.

Back