The Relocation Thread

We truly fell in love with coastal Florida when we went to West Palm Beach for the THP event and are pretty seriously considering a FL coastal community as our retirement destination. I recently learned that thanks to early retirement options through our company pension plans that could be as little as 10 years from now. I have no idea about cities at this point, but the allure of cool breezes, sand, palm trees and seeing the ocean every day is quite strong.

If it was just me i probably just pack up and go, live in trailer park or something similar. But since it's not just me, i'd have to have about 6 months of funds and some connections that know alot about employment in the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I had thought roughly 6 months as I'm pretty sure my wife could get a job fairly easily being a hairdresser, though it might take her awhile to get established and I would work at McDonalds if I had to till I found what I was looking for. We are still in ponder mode, but when we go to FL in a few weeks and return back to this crap, I guarantee its going to be a full on discussion again.

With that attitude you should be alright on 6 months.

Just be realistic on what food, gas and other expenditures are gonna be while you look for a job, as this is where I see most people coming up short.

Here's a question...Say you decided to just pack up and move, you can't take the frigid cold winters anymore and decided to move to florida. You have found a place to rent, but you or your spouse have no job to speak of. How much money would you feel comfortable having put aside to stay afloat till you got a job and got settled in? Not looking for a dollar amount necessarily, but more like 3 months rent? 6 months, a year? etc..

I probably wouldn't do it at all. But if for some reason I had to, 12 months. At least.

Looks like we could be upping sticks and leaving California and heading for Austin Texas. Currently in Monterey. I love the place, but work wise, there is nothing for me. The wife can transfer with work to Austin, and after looking at house prices, I think we are gonna go for it. For the price of our 3 bed that needs modernizing, we can get a 5 bed that's double the size for the same money!!!! Schools all rate highly. BA have just started flying direct to Heathrow and they hold the U.S. F1 Grand Prix every year. We're struggling to see any downsides. I understand Austin has a pretty Californian attitude anyway, which me and the wife want. Any Austin residents wanna give me the downsides on a move that seems to good to be true?

Looks like we could be upping sticks and leaving California and heading for Austin Texas. Currently in Monterey. I love the place, but work wise, there is nothing for me. The wife can transfer with work to Austin, and after looking at house prices, I think we are gonna go for it. For the price of our 3 bed that needs modernizing, we can get a 5 bed that's double the size for the same money!!!! Schools all rate highly. BA have just started flying direct to Heathrow and they hold the U.S. F1 Grand Prix every year. We're struggling to see any downsides. I understand Austin has a pretty Californian attitude anyway, which me and the wife want. Any Austin residents wanna give me the downsides on a move that seems to good to be true?

I'm not from Austin but have been there s couple times.

Compared to your climate in Monterey, it'll be like you walked into an oven during the summer.

That said, it's a wonderful city with a lot of diversity, pretty cool music district as well.

Yeah, I've seen it regularly gets above 100 in the summer. Ouch!

I have never lived in Austin but have a few friends that do and I have been countless times. Personally for me Austin is a fun town to visit and stay for the weekend, I would never want to live there. The atmosphere is fun and laid back and at night its party time lol.

What scares me about what you said is "Californian attitude":beat-up: We enjoy Cali people coming for a visit but leaving their political views back on the West coast:D
Seriously though, Austin is a pretty cool place. If you want city life then in town will be great but if you like a little less commotion, moved out west of town like Bee Cave or Dripping Springs area. When and if you make the move, I will enjoy getting a round in with you.

The Relocation Thread

What scares me about what you said is "Californian attitude":beat-up: We enjoy Cali people coming for a visit but leaving their political views back on the West coast:D
Seriously though, Austin is a pretty cool place. If you want city life then in town will be great but if you like a little less commotion, moved out west of town like Bee Cave or Dripping Springs area. When and if you make the move, I will enjoy getting a round in with you.

I promise I'll keep my weird European lefty ideas to myself :LOL:. A lot of the houses we've been eyeing up are in Round Rock just to the north. I still can't get my head around the cost of the houses. Never mind California prices, even by UK prices these houses are amazingly cheap. If we make the move, I will definitely take you up on your offer of some golf ;)

I've only visited Austin but don't underestimate traffic going from Round Rock/Cedar Park/Plugerville by Dell and the other cheaper northern suburbs down to actual Austin. My contacts there have noted it has gotten nearly LA/SF brutal on some days and the freeways are also undergoing major construction upgrades (bad short term, good long term!).

Also note that the housing prices go up very quickly towards downtown Austin and also budget for double the prop tax rate to California (Travis county = 2.5%, Williamson county = 2.4%). Also factor in $500+ electricity bills in the summer on those "cheap" uninsulated/upgraded suburban 3k sq ft tract houses (unless you like it 84 degrees inside). If you were building custom you could upgrade all the insulation/hvac/windows/solar though, obviously.

Spend not a few days but 2 weeks there if you can and get a feel of the place before you jump in. You might be just as bored out in the suburbs there as you would in say Sacramento or Fresno.

Good info. Cheers. I've read on various forums that the traffic can be fairly brutal.

looks like it is pretty much a certainty that i'll be moving to either Nashville or Knoxville area by end of year.

I'm hoping my relocation will be complete by the end of the summer as well. Looking forward to being closer to Rochester and surrounding areas.

looks like it is pretty much a certainty that i'll be moving to either Nashville or Knoxville area by end of year.

Oh man both of those are great places, good luck.

Looking in New Mexico, never thought I'd be saying that in this life time.

The Relocation Thread

Oops, wrong thread...

I would love the heck out of that. You in NM

nice. Former coworkers of mine are out there. It has some nice places. But definitely a surprise to hear

I'm just now seeing this. It doesn't make me happy. Selfishly, I hope it's not anytime soon.

Becky's best friend who's currently living and teaching in Costa Rica just accepted a job in Austin Texas. I have a feeling that Austin just catapulted to the top of our moving search.....

Well, looks like I'm going to be a Floridian to start 2016...didn't think this would happen before I retired. 25% chance Jacksonville, 75% chance Tampa. Depends on our next attrition. Got a couple months to get my current house in tip top shape and get it on the market. Pretty excited about it. I hear there's golf down there!

edit: change with our org moved the business from Nashville (where I thought I'd be re-lo'ing to) to Northern FL.

Well, looks like I'm going to be a Floridian to start 2016...didn't think this would happen before I retired. 25% chance Jacksonville, 75% chance Tampa. Depends on our next attrition. Got a couple months to get my current house in tip top shape and get it on the market. Pretty excited about it. I hear there's golf down there!

Congrats! Look forward to having you

We've been in the Charlotte area for a couple months now and I must say that so far it's been pretty darn cool. We're close to the mountains, closer to both families, and the lake life has been great.

fantastic city

Back