Arnold Palmer Invitational Presented by MasterCard [SPOILERS]

I know you are a big Fowler fan. I like the guy as well.

But...

When will Fowler fans stop saying "he played well for 3 days" or like you said "I'm proud of him for how he played " and start being a hit more realistic with him?

Well said

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I know you are a big Fowler fan. I like the guy as well.

But...

When will Fowler fans stop saying "he played well for 3 days" or like you said "I'm proud of him for how he played " and start being a hit more realistic with him?

I'm not saying he's out of the woods. He chocked big time today. He had Tiger where he could get him and still let it slip. He knew it better then anyone. He needs to win once again this year and contend alot more for me to keep saying that he's still growing and getting better. Otherwise, I don't know. He was there today. I like to take away the positive vs. the negative. Negativity is never good.

I'm not saying he's out of the woods. He chocked big time today. He had Tiger where he could get him and still let it slip. He knew it better then anyone. He needs to win once again this year and contend alot more for me to keep saying that he's still growing and getting better. Otherwise, I don't know. He was there today. I like to take away the positive vs. the negative. Negativity is never good.

I agree, negativity is never good. But, come on, with all his hype and he only has one win to show for it?

I agree, negativity is never good. But, come on, with all his hype and he only has one win to show for it?

Not everyone destined for greatness jumps out of the Amateur ranks and becomes amazing on Tour like Rory.

Rickie hasn't shown any signs of being great. Or even really good. He has Sub-Sergio written all over him.

I like rickie's ballsiness. I like his style. Of clothes and play. But he seems like he is still on the outer edge of being good.

Rickie has tons of talent and will get his wins. The big number seems to,plague him at the worst times. I don't think he played well today, he had a stretch of holes in the middle but other than that he wasn't pushing TW.

Rickie has tons of talent and will get his wins. The big number seems to,plague him at the worst times. I don't think he played well today, he had a stretch of holes in the middle but other than that he wasn't pushing TW.

He has shown signs of being really good. Upper tier good. His win last year was impressive. He knows how to win. That isn't an excuse anymore. Now it's just a matter of him getting it done.

As my boss says, there are no excuses. Only results.

He has shown signs of being really good. Upper tier good. His win last year was impressive. He knows how to win. That isn't an excuse anymore. Now it's just a matter of him getting it done.

As my boss says, there are no excuses. Only results.
I don't know why people think it so easy to win a golf tournament. There is more than skill involved. Need some good breaks and bounces along the way. Rickie has all the tools and will catch his breaks and bounces. I can't say he needs to dial back because lefty played the same way and still does. It's all or nothing with Phil and I believe the same for RF.

I don't know why people think it so easy to win a golf tournament. There is more than skill involved. Need some good breaks and bounces along the way. Rickie has all the tools and will catch his breaks and bounces. I can't say he needs to dial back because lefty played the same way and still does. It's all or nothing with Phil and I believe the same for RF.

I understand how hard it is. I don't want him to dial it back. That isn't the problem. From what I see, there just seems to be physical/mental breakdowns at bad times. Fatting a short iron shot from the fairway and putting it into a creek when down by two is something that can't happen. By PGA Tour standards, Rickie isn't a top level golfer. He has shown unbelievable skill, but just has to get more consistent. He has time on his side right now.

I'd also like to point out people that had promise at Amateurs and their current OWGR.

Jamie Lovemark---636
Rory McIlroy---2
Rickie Fowler---32 (probably lower now)
Colt Knost---339
Michael Thompson---43
Danny Lee---249
Morgan Hoffmann---239
Matteo Mannassero---45
Peter Uihlein---257

I'm not trying to cause controversy, but having a great amateur career and then immediately doing well out on Tour is not the norm. I think what Rory did should be the exception and not the rule when looking at this.

Also, It didn't help Rickie almost won twice early in his career on Tour. Made people think he was ready now, when he probably needed 3 years to grow.

I understand how hard it is. I don't want him to dial it back. That isn't the problem. From what I see, there just seems to be physical/mental breakdowns at bad times. Fatting a short iron shot from the fairway and putting it into a creek when down by two is something that can't happen. By PGA Tour standards, Rickie isn't a top level golfer. He has shown unbelievable skill, but just has to get more consistent. He has time on his side right now.
of the one win tour players, he is right up there. He Ives himself chances. He also shoots himself in the foot more often. I agree he has to be more consistent but I happen to think he is one of the top pros out there. You have to remove the top guys. Not fair to compare him to those guys, but as a tour pro, he's real good

I'd also like to point out people that had promise at Amateurs and their current OWGR.

Jamie Lovemark---636
Rory McIlroy---2
Colt Knost---339
Michael Thompson---43
Danny Lee---249
Morgan Hoffmann---239
Matteo Mannassero---45
Peter Uihlein---257

I'm not trying to cause controversy, but having a great amateur career and then immediately doing well out on Tour is not the norm. I think what Rory did should be the exception and not the rule when looking at this.

Also, It didn't help Rickie almost won twice early in his career on Tour. Made people think he was ready now, when he probably needed 3 years to grow.
I'm not trying to knock Fowler, as I have said, I am a fan of his and enjoy watching him play. I just feel that he has unrealistic expectations placed on him due to the marketing by Cobra/Puma.

Jamie Lovemark---636
Rory McIlroy---2
Colt Knost---339
Michael Thompson---43
Danny Lee---249
Morgan Hoffmann---239
Matteo Mannassero---45
Peter Uihlein---257

To be fair, none of those guys have been hyped to the moon like Rickie. The ones that have were Tiger, Rory and Phil and we know how their careers have gone. Fowler is at the stage now, where he is ready to make the leap towards being a superstar, not just a PGA Tour player and to do that, you have to have the resume. In time perhaps it gets there, but you have to win events.

Right now Rickie is known more for his outlandish apparel (at times) than he is for his golf. Not that its wrong, but it does not represent the hype that has been put on him and has been embraced.

To be fair, none of those guys have been hyped to the moon like Rickie. The ones that have were Tiger, Rory and Phil and we know how their careers have gone. Fowler is at the stage now, where he is ready to make the leap towards being a superstar, not just a PGA Tour player and to do that, you have to have the resume. In time perhaps it gets there, but you have to win events.
That's pretty much what I am saying. The Fowler fans that are excited to give him a participation ribbon for "playing his best" or "trying his hardest" intrigue me.

I think this is directly attributable to watching golf in an era dominated by one or two guys to the extent that Tiger and sometimes Phil has been dominant. Those of us that are a bit older to have seen the era of parity between Nicklaus' era and the start of Tiger's era where the "best" players were winning 1-3 times per year tops. Tiger has changed that bar for what we consider a superstar where winning early and often is the price of entry.

62352_10151461692642108_683155532_n.jpg

that's really funny

That's pretty much what I am saying. The Fowler fans that are excited to give him a participation ribbon for "playing his best" or "trying his hardest" intrigue me.

I understand that. I might be giving him a 'participation ribbon' per say, but what I'm trying to say is that he is that much closer to getting where everyone wants him to be. If that's giving a ribbon, so be it.

rickie's got to be a little happy that tiger won because all things tiger has completely overshadowed what happened to him on his second and third swings on holes 15 and 16. total choke when tiger left the door wide after rickie played so well the first 14 holes of the day.

give him credit though, his postround interview he handled it excellently. the kid has a great attitude towards golf, it's hard not to root for him

rickie's got to be a little happy that tiger won because all things tiger has completely overshadowed what happened to him on his second and third swings on holes 15 and 16. total choke when tiger left the door wide after rickie played so well the first 14 holes of the day.

give him credit though, his postround interview he handled it excellently. the kid has a great attitude towards golf, it's hard not to root for him

Oh yeah. As a fan of golf, I'm sure Ricky is so happy that Tiger won, he gave up million dollar prize and a second Secondwin to his name, but he got a first row seat to watch history.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

nah i'm just insinuating that rickie is happy that tiger is overshadowing what happened to him. If he had lost to justin rose, there'd be a larger % of the talk that would be focused on rickie self combusting over two holes after he had got himself in prime position to steal the tournament.

I don't think rickie is happy that he lost and tiger won and he saw history. I think he's pissed that he lost, who wouldn't be, right.

nah i'm just insinuating that rickie is happy that tiger is overshadowing what happened to him. If he had lost to justin rose, there'd be a larger % of the talk that would be focused on rickie self combusting over two holes after he had got himself in prime position to steal the tournament.

I don't think rickie is happy that he lost and tiger won and he saw history. I think he's pissed that he lost, who wouldn't be, right.

I guess I just don't see the "Prime Position" thing. He was 2 back with a couple of holes to play. Surely that is better than 3 back, but not enough where I would call it prime position in stealing the tournament.

he was two back on 15 with tiger in a greenside bunker while rickie had a good angle at the pin. a good iron shot and it's feasable they would have gone into 16 tied for the lead which i think changes the entire dymanic of the last three holes.

I think rickie was in as good of a position at that point as he could have asked for to put a lot of pressure on tiger and he let him wriggle free by pulling his iron shot way left and making bogey

Back