WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
It's time for one of my favorite events on Tour, the WGC-Dell Match Play. There's a new sponsor this year (Dell replaces Cadillac), new course (Austin Country Club instead of Harding Park), and new date (last year's event was in May). The defending champion is Rory McIlroy.

Speaking of the course, it's a par 71 playing at 7073 yards. From what I've read about this course, accuracy and precision are going to be more important than length this week. Also, it's a Pete Dye course, so there's bound to be some interesting design elements in play this week.

The field is based off of World Golf rankings after the Valspar Championship, so nothing that happened at Bay Hill impacts this field. Normally it is the top 64 players in the world, but Jim Furyk is still recovering from wrist surgery and Henrik Stenson has elected not to play, so the field goes down to #66 which is Patton Kizzire. The format for the first 3 days is round-robin play in groups of 4. Each of the top 16 in the rankings will be placed atop a group, with the other slots filled via blind draws from players ranked Nos. 17-32, Nos. 33-48 and Nos. 49-64. The pairing process will be broadcast tonight on Golf Channel at 7 PM. Each group winner advances to the knockout portion: round of 16 is Saturday morning, round of 8 is Saturday afternoon, semifinals are Sunday morning, and the final is Sunday afternoon.

I'm sure that a lot of the attention this week will be on Jordan Spieth returning after a week off and playing his first professional event in the city where he went to college. I'm sure the Texas THP crowd is fired up about that. Another subplot is watching how the Americans and Europeans perform in match play with the Ryder Cup looming later this year. Perhaps a good performance in this event by a certain player could influence the captains' picks for those teams.

Reminder to all fantasy players, it's a Wednesday start this week. Who else is fired up for some match play?

I love this event too. I like seeing how the mindset of the best players in the world changes for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the match play, but adds another layer of difficulty when selecting Fantasy players

Love Love loVe me some match play. Excited to catch some of this this weekend.

Looking forward to the seedings.

Love the match play and just wish I could have gotten down to ATX to see it up close. I've played ACC a few times and it's a great layout. I will be curious how the course conditions are for the players as the area has had plenty of rain early this year. Sure there will be a big crowd following JS each day.

I love matchplay, I was wondering if anyone found an online game to play the actual bracket? I enjoy filling out my own and following along, wondering if there was a side game for the bracket somewhere???

I dont mind this event, but HATE the timing of it this year.

agree. Has it been said that it's going to be the same time next year or is this because of the Olympics messing with the schedule? I wish they'd go back to Dove Mountain. Plus the timing was just so much better.

I agree about the timing, it just seems awkwardly thrown right in the middle of the Florida swing. I have always liked this event, the changes kind of made it confusing to me. But maybe that's because I haven't really read into the how/what/why portion of it. I do know that watching Rory win it last year was quite impressive! I'll be tuned in again this week for sure!

agree. Has it been said that it's going to be the same time next year or is this because of the Olympics messing with the schedule? I wish they'd go back to Dove Mountain. Plus the timing was just so much better.

I have no inside knowledge, but I think it's going to be in the same place on the schedule next year. The only tournaments that were moved around by the Olympics are later this summer, I don't think anything in this part of the schedule is affected. Also, I think the PGA Tour has an agreement to host this event in Austin through 2019, so I'd guess the position on the calendar is here to stay.

Curious why you hate it? I would have liked if it would have stayed in May, especially around when the other Texas events are played, but I'm not bothered by it. It probably reduces the number of top players that play next week in Houston, but that event always has some guys skip it because it's the week before the Masters.

Love this event and the format with pool play. Going to make a fun fantasy pick week

am i seeing this right ? everyplace ive seen says par 72 playing 6,625 yds?

Love this event and the format with pool play. Going to make a fun fantasy pick week

Strategy in THP fantasy is huge this week, have to look at guys that maybe mid budget but have a chance to run the gauntlet.

Love watching (and playing) match play. There's a lot of big names that are not playing all that well (relatively speaking) at this time so the team selections are difficult / lucky at best!!

Strategy in THP fantasy is huge this week, have to look at guys that maybe mid budget but have a chance to run the gauntlet.

Yep. I did ok last year in this event.

i like this format vice one and done. Get to see guys for a few days and see who can handle that much match play over the course of a few days. 7 matches to win it.

Yep. I did ok last year in this event.

i like this format vice one and done. Get to see guys for a few days and see who can handle that much match play over the course of a few days. 7 matches to win it.
Don't forget the people who picked early and ended up having their picks playing each other in the first round. I kept seeing guys talking about how their team ate half itself after the first round. Really lessens your chances if you've got everyone in one bracket.

Don't forget the people who picked early and ended up having their picks playing each other in the first round. I kept seeing guys talking about how their team ate half itself after the first round. Really lessens your chances if you've got everyone in one bracket.

that makes it a challenge. It took a lot longer to make picks last year than other events.

i kinda wish the event was still in AZ but have no issues with it being in Austin. With Spieth I'm sure there are goimg to be huge crowds. The course setup should make for some interesting matches.

I think I did that last year and will definitely be adjusting my picks, thanks! Are the matchups out yet?

EDIT: Match Play draw, 7pm tonight.

At the same time if they're playing each other you're at least guaranteed to get someone to the next round.
If none of your picks play each other you could possibly have no one in the next round if they all lose.

Really looking forward to the round-robin format. Will be interesting to see if a big name loses if they can recover and if it leads to more big names in the semi's and finals.

I took the par and yardage straight from the PGA Tour's website: http://www.pgatour.com/the-first-look/2016/03/18/wgc-dell-match-play-preview.html

There is no way the PGA Tour would play an event like this at a course until 6700 yards. Pebble Beach is pretty close to the shortest course on tour, and it's over 6800 yards.

Wouldn't that matter less in Match Play? Your playing your opponent, not the course. Your overall score doesn't matter just that you're better on more holes than your opponent.

Back