Looking at a new wedge purchase.

Love my Hopkins wedges and they are now running for 99.99. Great price IMO

index.php

:alien2:

I might be a little biased
6f9dc57728ca1ccc7b1116df966300ea.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
As I get more and more acclimated to these I really like them.

Fourteen are great wedges, i use raw 54 & 60 tour rm's. Use to swear by vokeys until i put these in the bag

Really looking for a solid wedge, that not only performs but looks great. (I think we all like a little bling) although looks come far behind performance. Im playing the Mizuno MPT4 60*, and while it has good spin and bounce, i do not personally like the grind and tend to have issues on tight lies.

I've even eyed the top flite tour stuff, the milling is insane, but it is top flite.

Just looking for recommendations based on quality, performance and grind options. The vokey is obviously proven and the MD3 is shining bright lately, ready to pull the trigger sooner than later

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would like to recommend a custom fit set of Edel wedges....
Trying various wedges is a favorite passtime of mine, and Edels are still my favorites because I tend to miss towards the toe with my wedges and they feel supremely balanced for all types of shots.
MD3s are close 2nd for me.

9f185fe50950d729859f7fb1fd0a31af.jpg

Welcome home!!

Curious as to what people are gaming in their 56* and 60* wedges. Wondering about the edel offerings as well as Miura and Scratch if anyone has those on the daily rotation.

Open to all other brands as well, budget isnt set so fire away.

I notice you're a 36 handicapper.

For my sand and lob wedge I'm gaming my set wedges. Cobra BioCell SW and LW @ 55 and 60 degrees. Why? The specialty wedges are quite a bit heavier than your set wedges, they feel different, and I'd put money that they're a lot more expensive. I'm a 20 handicapper.

My neighbor was a 3 handicapper and played Ping ISI sand and lob wedges, and still plays them.

Yes Edel makes a wonderful wedge. They're like a Ferrari of wedges.

The first thing you need to do is look at your set. You probably have a gap wedge. It's probably 50 degrees. I know mine is. Most gap wedges these days are 50 degrees. See, pitching wedges used to be 49 degrees and you'd have a 55 degree sand wedge. That was back in the old days. Then they went to 48 degrees for the Pitching Wedge. This made a need for something called a Gap Wedge, which used to be 52 degrees. Then the standard Sand Wedge became 56 degrees, and the Lob Wedge 60 degrees.

However, now the club companies in order to sell you clubs that hit the ball further, made the 4 irons into 2 irons, the Pitching Wedges into 9 irons, and the Gap Wedges into Pitching Wedges. Your Gap Wedge is now 50 degrees. This means that a 56 degree Sand Wedge is probably not enough loft for you. You'll have about a 20 yd gap between your Gap Wedge and that 56 wedge. Trust me, I know, I have two 56 degree Vokey wedges I recently replaced with my Cobra set Sand Wedge (55 degree).

So, what I'd recommend is either getting matching set wedges in sand and lob for your irons. Check your set to make sure your Gap Wedge is a 50. I'd bet it is. If that is the case and you're still set on a pair of forged wedges, get a 54 degree and a 58 degree. Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland all make very good wedges.

You could get a 56 and 60 degree and have them bent to 55 and 59 degree. The 55 would close that 20 yd gap a bit. But remember when you bend a degree you lose a degree of bounce.

But I did buy a Callway PM Grind 64/10 wedge which was wonderful

I'd say go to your local golf store and take your Pitching Wedge and your Gap Wedge with you. Hit a few warm up balls with both your PW and your GW. Have them set up a hole about 12 yds shorter than you carry your Gap Wedge. Then hit the 56 wedge and the 54 wedge. See which one is easiest to reach that green and which one is most consistent. You should be able to use an easy 3/4 swing to do it. If you have to use more than that with the 56, go to the 54. Try the three major brands they carry. See which one feels the best in your hands. I'd go no more than 10 bounce with the 54 or 56. 12 bounce with the 58 or 60.

I notice you're a 36 handicapper.

For my sand and lob wedge I'm gaming my set wedges. Cobra BioCell SW and LW @ 55 and 60 degrees. Why? The specialty wedges are quite a bit heavier than your set wedges, they feel different, and I'd put money that they're a lot more expensive. I'm a 20 handicapper.

My neighbor was a 3 handicapper and played Ping ISI sand and lob wedges, and still plays them.

Yes Edel makes a wonderful wedge. They're like a Ferrari of wedges.

The first thing you need to do is look at your set. You probably have a gap wedge. It's probably 50 degrees. I know mine is. Most gap wedges these days are 50 degrees. See, pitching wedges used to be 49 degrees and you'd have a 55 degree sand wedge. That was back in the old days. Then they went to 48 degrees for the Pitching Wedge. This made a need for something called a Gap Wedge, which used to be 52 degrees. Then the standard Sand Wedge became 56 degrees, and the Lob Wedge 60 degrees.

However, now the club companies in order to sell you clubs that hit the ball further, made the 4 irons into 2 irons, the Pitching Wedges into 9 irons, and the Gap Wedges into Pitching Wedges. Your Gap Wedge is now 50 degrees. This means that a 56 degree Sand Wedge is probably not enough loft for you. You'll have about a 20 yd gap between your Gap Wedge and that 56 wedge. Trust me, I know, I have two 56 degree Vokey wedges I recently replaced with my Cobra set Sand Wedge (55 degree).

So, what I'd recommend is either getting matching set wedges in sand and lob for your irons. Check your set to make sure your Gap Wedge is a 50. I'd bet it is. If that is the case and you're still set on a pair of forged wedges, get a 54 degree and a 58 degree. Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland all make very good wedges.

You could get a 56 and 60 degree and have them bent to 55 and 59 degree. The 55 would close that 20 yd gap a bit. But remember when you bend a degree you lose a degree of bounce.

But I did buy a Callway PM Grind 64/10 wedge which was wonderful

I'd say go to your local golf store and take your Pitching Wedge and your Gap Wedge with you. Hit a few warm up balls with both your PW and your GW. Have them set up a hole about 12 yds shorter than you carry your Gap Wedge. Then hit the 56 wedge and the 54 wedge. See which one is easiest to reach that green and which one is most consistent. You should be able to use an easy 3/4 swing to do it. If you have to use more than that with the 56, go to the 54. Try the three major brands they carry. See which one feels the best in your hands. I'd go no more than 10 bounce with the 54 or 56. 12 bounce with the 58 or 60.
Im actually a 25 handicap, im guessing 36 is the stock number?

Either way, my pitch is 45, gap is 50, current lob is 60 with 5 bounce. I dont have too large a gap, but for my distances the 56 seems to fulfill the gap just right.

Ive got one more slot open in the bag, i might even get another wedge! Haha, thank you for the tips.

Im actually a 25 handicap, im guessing 36 is the stock number?

Either way, my pitch is 45, gap is 50, current lob is 60 with 5 bounce. I dont have too large a gap, but for my distances the 56 seems to fulfill the gap just right.

Ive got one more slot open in the bag, i might even get another wedge! Haha, thank you for the tips.

Yeah, I think if you don't state a HDCP it defaults to 36. I am still learning my new wedges but while my gap between my AW (49) and my SW (54) seems to be a decent distance I almost hit my LW (58) as far as my SW.

I was fenced between getting 58 or 56. My gap is solid, but lofts pretty high. I tend to only play my 60 around the greens or 10 yards out.

Maltby Tour Grind MG wedges. The club packs sell for 36 bucks a piece. Three wedges for the price of any 'premium wedge' and the performance is excellent. Kicked my Cleveland 2.0 rotex wedges out of my bag.

b77aa3acaa79cf4fd59d6f1ea54fa05b.jpg

Back