Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Fairway Wood Preview

When I have one (and I will have one) I'm going to lean towards the missile launcher setup.

Callaway is taking over the bag.

These clubs, 815 fairways, were the first clubs I have ever hit where I stopped and gasped after the first swing. Everything about this head at impact feels correct. I love them. I did have a minor issue with the hosel adjustment nut coming loose on my 5wood. But I will blame me for that.

I am considering purchasing an 815 fwy 4 wood to replace my x2hot fwy. The reason for the potential change is that I would be able to get one that has the same shaft than my driver (Fuji 661 Evo).
My question to those have used this fwy. Should I consider it a step down in terms of forgiveness due to its size? I am a 16 handicap. Thanks!

Just ordered a 16* from CPO, can't wait to hit it. Slowly going all Callaway with my woods.

Looking forward to your feedback once you get it.

Heavily contemplating on adding the 16* to my bag. I love my g20 4w but the forgiveness, adjustability, and the price on Cally's cpo site have me in serious ponder mode. Plus I love the driver so why not add this to match lol. So on the CPO site now the 2 options in S flex are the Speeder 665 and the Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70. In my g20 is the TFC169D tour shaft... Of the offerings which would be most similar to the ping shaft I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found these specs online. The Speeder 665 is 65 grams and 3.4 degrees of torque. The Kuro Kage is 76 grams and 4.1 degrees of torque. Personally I prefer a heavier shaft in my fairway woods.

Ping TFC 169D TOUR -- Stiff , 4.7 Torque , 63 Grams

It is pretty funny to me that both this thread and the 815 DBD driver thread are full of praise and then... more or less total crickets as soon as the 816 were announced. A fickle bunch we are! Most have moved on, but I am into it, especially at the price I paid. Bumping this thread for the crush I have developed for this stick.

From the first swing it has been good, but it has taken time for me to appreciate how much I actually like it. I started playing it more from the tee than the fairway, both because my swing was rusty and loose, and on course I play it from the tee far, far more often. Recently as I have become more comfortable with my swing I started playing lots more shots off the deck on the range as well as trying to find reasons to hit off the deck on course. I play it with the 30g weight back, because I like the additional launch more. My goal for the 16* is more to have something that plays high launch and soft landing, even if it costs some distance potential. Now that I have enough time to be become adjusted to both my capabilities and the club, I am a happy golfer!

I have been super impressed by the forgiveness on mishits, especially off the toe area. In fact, some of my misses on the toe simply launch with a sweet slinging draw from gear effect, and end up no different than a center strike. Center strikes feel superb. Sparkly midnight blue head finish and total lack of graphics are exactly up my alley - I love the shape, face depth, and the way this thing presents. At this point I find it equally easy to launch off the deck and the tee, and in fact I am routinely amazed at the high trajectory realized from the deck. I find shot shape to be pretty neutral... I hit draws more often than fades (consistent to my swing shape) and occasionally get too quick and over-hook things, but by and large dispersion is obviously my fault and not the club. I use it most often to control distance and location off the tee, which means that it's purpose for me is a fairway finder, not max distance. It took me a while to get familiar enough with my long game to have some confidence over the ball with just about any long club, but at this point I have definitely have the confidence I am looking for in a 3w / 4w.

In summary, a very high performing golf club for me with great fit and finish. The newer matte black 816 are nice too, but I have to say that the sparkle gloss paint on the 815's is classy. And for the golfer on a budget staying a year or two behind the latest bleeding edge may not be a bad compromise. I really enjoy hitting this whenever the chance arises.

Back