Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

Well definitely tell us your thoughts! You must have a pretty hefty SS to tame that shaft.

I definitely outkicked my coverage with the shaft, but it sounded cool... I have a plan when, not if I can't hit it...

I hit the Custom at a local shop on Wednesday. They had just got it in & I was the 1st one to hit it. Almost didn't want to because its drop dead gorgeous & I didn't want to mar that beautiful face.

Even though its adjustable, it felt a lot like my current Classic 270. I didn't hit the XL, but it was nice looking too!

We have had some heavy rains for the past few days so when the rain stopped this morning I headed over to the goat track to just play any of the holes that the rain had not made unplayable. Imagine my pure joy when they said I could play and I looked over and saw a bag full of new Cleveland clubs marked DEMO. I pulled the CC XL in 10.5* and saw that it is a regular flex. I asked if I could check it out and off to the first tee I headed. I was a little worried about the flex being a regular as everytime I have been fitted for a driver I have been put in a stiff flex. Well, the first ball went straight and long (for me) and I thought to myself that this thing may just work after all.

Long story short, I was getting it as long as the CG Black but I was in play much better with the Classic XL than the Black as I only missed one fairway with the XL and it was by less that 2 feet. I really was amazed at the ease of hitting fairways. The shaft/head combo of the XL is awesome. I will be heading to ATL and visiting the PGA SS very soon, I need to see what different flexes and lofts might do for my old man swing.

I did snap a couple of pics, here are my Black and the XL side by side, the XL appears slightly smaller here due to the deeper face.
Spoiler
11111_zps973b93ff.jpg

Here they are in my bag, I have decided if I get a XL I will be looking for a different headcover, I really don't like how hard it is to put back on the driver.
Spoiler
11112_zps5aa19188.jpg

We have had some heavy rains for the past few days so when the rain stopped this morning I headed over to the goat track to just play any of the holes that the rain had not made unplayable. Imagine my pure joy when they said I could play and I looked over and saw a bag full of new Cleveland clubs marked DEMO. I pulled the CC XL in 10.5* and saw that it is a regular flex. I asked if I could check it out and off to the first tee I headed. I was a little worried about the flex being a regular as everytime I have been fitted for a driver I have been put in a stiff flex. Well, the first ball went straight and long (for me) and I thought to myself that this thing may just work after all.

Long story short, I was getting it as long as the CG Black but I was in play much better with the Classic XL than the Black as I only missed one fairway with the XL and it was by less that 2 feet. I really was amazed at the ease of hitting fairways. The shaft/head combo of the XL is awesome. I will be heading to ATL and visiting the PGA SS very soon, I need to see what different flexes and lofts might do for my old man swing.

I did snap a couple of pics, here are my Black and the XL side by side, the XL appears slightly smaller here due to the deeper face.
Spoiler
11111_zps973b93ff.jpg

Hear they are in my bag, I have decided if I get a XL I will be looking for a different headcover, I really don't like how hard it is to put back on the driver.
Spoiler
11112_zps5aa19188.jpg

That is awesome to hear you had such good results right off the bat. I'm not a big fan of OEM headcovers anyways, so that tough headcover wouldnt bother me much. Maybe it is just too new and loosens up after some use. Keep us updated on what you find in ATL and when you find a killer deal on it too. :alien:

That is awesome to hear you had such good results right off the bat. I'm not a big fan of OEM headcovers anyways, so that tough headcover wouldnt bother me much. Maybe it is just too new and loosens up after some use. Keep us updated on what you find in ATL and when you find a killer deal on it too. :alien:

You know I will find that deal buddy, it is out there and I will be looking.
SherlockHolmesSmiley.gif

Dang. Still not out to Demo at the Superstore. This is making me sad.

SherlockHolmesSmiley.gif

PLEASE let the as of yet undiscovered deal be from Global Golf...that store credit is burning a hole in my pocket :)

Just ordered the Custom XL with a Black Tie. Sight unseen..... I love this game....

Well done, that is the way to just go for it. Let us know your thoughts when you get it dialed in

SherlockHolmesSmiley.gif

PLEASE let the as of yet undiscovered deal be from Global Golf...that store credit is burning a hole in my pocket :)

love some global golf, i think i gave them 5-6 of my purchases last year. DD looking forward to seeing what you think

Spoiler
11111_zps973b93ff.jpg

Here they are in my bag, I have decided if I get a XL I will be looking for a different headcover, I really don't like how hard it is to put back on the driver.
Spoiler
11112_zps5aa19188.jpg

I LIKE the direction your going, let us know about the different flexes and lofts and your final decision

HOLY S*** GUYS. I just hit the 10.5* XL with the B.Asha 6S shaft and as SkiBumGolfer can attest, I have never ever ever hit a driver that well. 6 shots, the exact same every time! I am never this consistent.
Averaged 110 mph SS, 241 yd carry and 14* launch angle. The only part that matters is how well it felt. I need a heavier head like this. I hit it square every time. It was amazing. It took every ounce of me to walk out of there without it!

You guys aren't helping my desire for one of these clubs...I've been trying my hardest to wait until the outing for a decision on one of these...but a local deal for one is really tempting...and I love my original Classic so much...

HOLY S*** GUYS. I just hit the 10.5* XL with the B.Asha 6S shaft and as SkiBumGolfer can attest, I have never ever ever hit a driver that well. 6 shots, the exact same every time! I am never this consistent.
Averaged 110 mph SS, 241 yd carry and 14* launch angle. The only part that matters is how well it felt. I need a heavier head like this. I hit it square every time. It was amazing. It took every ounce of me to walk out of there without it!

Yeah, I have never seen this guy hit a driver that well...he's usually pushing or pulling it hard, and that was definitely not happening. I hit it as well and liked it quite a bit, around a 103mph and 220 or 225 yd carry, but was not a big enough fan to want to upgrade. Great club though, definitely a really solid traditional shape driver.

You guys aren't helping my desire for one of these clubs...I've been trying my hardest to wait until the outing for a decision on one of these...but a local deal for one is really tempting...and I love my original Classic so much...

That's me too JN, but after hitting it on course today I have got to get in a Store with a monitor and see which combo is best for me. At the price point of the XL with the B. Asha shaft it is a no brainer for me. I will have before the outing I am almost positive.

Yeah, I have never seen this guy hit a driver that well...he's usually pushing or pulling it hard, and that was definitely not happening. I hit it as well and liked it quite a bit, around a 103mph and 220 or 225 yd carry, but was not a big enough fan to want to upgrade. Great club though, definitely a really solid traditional shape driver.

Lol pushing or pulling. You mean slicing over to the next fairway!

I think a custom would look great in a blue Cleveland staff bag. Just sayin.

So is the plan to dream about it some more than pick one up later this season?

I think a custom would look great in a blue Cleveland staff bag. Just sayin.

I agree with you...just have to get my hands on these two and give them a swing compared to my Classic. I'm curious as to what the B Asha / JDL would do for me.

So is the plan to dream about it some more than pick one up later this season?

Probably. I'm just about to start my lessons and I was afraid my swing would change so much that it might not work for me, so I will wait a while then hit it again

Probably. I'm just about to start my lessons and I was afraid my swing would change so much that it might not work for me, so I will wait a while then hit it again
I hear you. I had my first lesson Saturday and that has put me on a different timeframe for this driver.

Back in the saddle with some Classic XL testing. I'm enjoying the driver quite a bit with the Asha 4S. Here's a few things that I have noticed with it.

The 10.5° head launches high. Depending on the ball, it was still averaging in the 15-17° range for me today and the last time I hit it. If I shut the face down I can drop that, but for the most part it's wants to launch high. Not such a bad thing (for me) though, which I'll talk about next.

The spin is low to very low, depending on the ball. Spin can be player dependent of course, but with some balls the XL delivers some of the lowest spin I've seen among the drivers I've tested this year. I was ball testing along with driver testing today and saw spin rates from the very low 2k's up to around 2,600. Carry distances were very good in that 2,600 rpm range. Off topic, but the spinnier ball produced better results for me.

Forgiveness appears to be quite good, though I haven't done any thorough testing there. Occasional mis-hits that I recorded appeared to produce results that I could live with. More to come on that later, or in the full review.

Dispersion is good. Big miss swings produced big misses, but average to good swings were fairly tight and seemed to follow a pretty predictable pattern. In other words, I didn't see a lot of left>right>left>right, etc misses. Stock shot today was a bit of a fading ball flight.

Interesting Hawk, did not expect to hear about a really high ball flight with that setup. Scares me a bit and immediately had me thinking 9* may be needed. Looking forward to hearing more!

Depends I guess. That type of launch with that low of spin is carry city. I'll take that any day. Descent angles were still pretty good, so the ball isn't going to stop dead unless the conditions promote it.

Depends I guess. That type of launch with that low of spin is carry city. I'll take that any day. Descent angles were still pretty good, so the ball isn't going to stop dead unless the conditions promote it.

It surprised me because I saw a mid launch with that shaft in a 9* head. Guess I was thinking that the loft would not make as much of a difference as you saw.

From the early thoughts, forgiveness similar to you as last years Classic or does it seem like a completely different driver?

Back