2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh of course. Doing a combination of those things is difficult. But it is doable.
Well with no kids and a gym 100ft away, im confident I can make it happen haha.

I just completed my first spinning class at our local ymca and it was tough! I usually run 6-8 miles per week and that seems like nothing in comparison. I only wish that there was an exercise that would help with driver accuracy that I could work on in the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not counting the morbidly obese, the inactive, or the drug users, but I thought the greatest factor for heart disease was genetics? I could be wrong. Admittedly, cardio bores me and doesn't seem as useful.
I agree being stronger is real important. And vastly under rated as we get older. But, from personal experience it is important to improve your cardiovascular system as well. A lot of the issues are genetic to large extent, but some cardio training will help mitigate its affects. Not to mention helping increase your work capacity. This is a real good article about that by Mike Robertson.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/long-duration-low-intensity-cardio/

No gym last night + Falling asleep on the couch= My back is not happy today.

I'm trying this thing today called "my workout buddy bailed on me and I'm tired so I'm only doing one work set" Friday. So far I like it... :alien:

I'm trying this thing today called "my workout buddy bailed on me and I'm tired so I'm only doing one work set" Friday. So far I like it... :alien:
Dude?

Dude!

Dude.

Yup. It's better than nothing. Progress is progress.

Exactly! I think I deserve a cupcake now...

I wish I could describe my workout today as half-assed, but it was much closer to 1/3 assed. I fully intended to do a normal vigorous workout despite being solo and not even having my headphones as my brother canceled 35 minutes before we were supposed to lift, but my first work set on squats ended all that. I worked up to 315 (yay, another plate!), but it was a struggle. I got all ready to do my second set, unracked it, and then just said "eff this" and re-racked it. Moved on to presses, which I hate on a normal day, and today wasn't a day I really wanted to do them, but I worked up to my work set, got 3 reps in on the first set and couldn't get the 4th so I quit. I was trying to do a legit press and not a push press like I have been doing, so that might be part of it, but either way I didn't hit my full set. Moved on to cleans where I actually did 2 work sets (of 5) but my form was what I would call sloppy. None the less, I lifted things, I sweated, and I'll get to do it again next week where hopefully I've got more motivation. Happy Friday everyone.

Exactly! I think I deserve a cupcake now...

I wish I could describe my workout today as half-assed, but it was much closer to 1/3 assed. I fully intended to do a normal vigorous workout despite being solo and not even having my headphones as my brother canceled 35 minutes before we were supposed to lift, but my first work set on squats ended all that. I worked up to 315 (yay, another plate!), but it was a struggle. I got all ready to do my second set, unracked it, and then just said "eff this" and re-racked it. Moved on to presses, which I hate on a normal day, and today wasn't a day I really wanted to do them, but I worked up to my work set, got 3 reps in on the first set and couldn't get the 4th so I quit. I was trying to do a legit press and not a push press like I have been doing, so that might be part of it, but either way I didn't hit my full set. Moved on to cleans where I actually did 2 work sets (of 5) but my form was what I would call sloppy. None the less, I lifted things, I sweated, and I'll get to do it again next week where hopefully I've got more motivation. Happy Friday everyone.
Did you ever buy the Starting Strength book?

Did you ever buy the Starting Strength book?
Nope, I've been relying on you, the app, the videos, and the SS forum up to this point.

Nope, I've been relying on you, the app, the videos, and the SS forum up to this point.
There is a companion book. Practical Programing. There is a lengthy section on how to milk novice LP for as long as possible.

I've read it. You're getting close. Continue with 3x5 and keep updating on progress. I'm watching, I mean that in a good and non creepy way

I had a great arm workout today. It was funny. I felt like a kid going to the toy store today when I got to the gym... Maybe it was the pre-workout, lol.

Ez-bar Curls 3x8 at 80 lbs

Then skull crushers, DB curls, Tricep cable pulls, BB curls, and DB OH Tricep extensions.

I had a great arm workout today. It was funny. I felt like a kid going to the toy store today when I got to the gym... Maybe it was the pre-workout, lol.

Ez-bar Curls 3x8 at 80 lbs

Then skull crushers, DB curls, Tricep cable pulls, BB curls, and DB OH Tricep extensions.

That fluttering isn't a butterfly, it's a palpitation lol mega caffeine

Chin ups and incline bench was awesome. Best day at the gym this week, for some reason more people are coming up to me and talking and taking up my time. They need to go back to just the fist bump. On a fun note is some of them are asking if I'm a personal trainer so I guess I'm getting gainzzzz and do things most others don't at that gym. I have told them no I'm not a trainer or a Blugold nobody has got the joke yet so I guess they aren't golfers.

I've got Starting Strength in PDF format if anyone is interested. I can share it from Google Drive if necessary.

I've got Starting Strength in PDF format if anyone is interested. I can share it from Google Drive if necessary.
And PM sent. That's awesome, man.

Antother good workout this morning with the fitness instructor. Did squats, a lot of balance and rotation drills. Did Disassociation planks, medicine ball tosses and then rotation resistance drills in a kneeling plank position. Finished with some stretching and foam roller work. Used a smaller roller today on the lat area and it found a couple of areas that I hadn't hit before.

Push thru a leg hypertrophy day while feeling sick. This cold is kicking my arse but wanted/needed to get the workout in.

I got a training session in today. I went back to my roots. Squats up to a heavy 5 reps. Back down for two sets of 5 at 90%. Worked bench up to a 3x3. Then did power cleans.

Felt like a comfy sweatshirt

Last edited:
I missed yesterday so I'm doing my day 3 tonight. May need some extra layers tho as it's -20 wind chill right now so my basement may not be the warmest. Usually it's not bad but we'll see.

Ive got
Squats
Rack pulls
Close grip push ups
Pull ups
Seated rows
Once arm db press
Ab rollouts.

Got a new blender bottle as well, they are just awesome.

Exactly what is hypertrophy and can you give an example of a hypertrophy workout.

Exactly what is hypertrophy and can you give an example of a hypertrophy workout.
Hypertrophy is sized. While strength is usually barbells for heavy weight low reps, hypertrophy is typically machine or dumbell for high reps

Hypertrophy is sized. While strength is usually barbells for heavy weight low reps, hypertrophy is typically machine or dumbell for high reps

I'll give you an example of my curls today and you give me the yay or your a dummy and doing it wrong.

All dumbbells.
3 sets at 50lbs for 5 reps
4 sets at 35lbs for as many as I can do.
Swear
Drink water

I also like doing chin up's. Do you recommend them at the start of the workout or at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back