Designing a counterbalanced putter

Yes, a Winn CB 17" grip. Can be found here (but probably can be had for even cheaper on the bay). Good luck!

I just pulled this putter out this morning. Going to work with it today at the range.
Ok thanks. What is the thickness on these? Don't want anything really thin.

What was your head weight? My SeeMore is about 370-375 and I don't want to get the weight between the head and grip off.

Ok thanks. What is the thickness on these? Don't want anything really thin.

What was your head weight? My SeeMore is about 370-375 and I don't want to get the weight between the head and grip off.

They are thick, but I'm not sure how they compare to the SuperStroke grips (if I had to guess I'd say its comparable to the Mid Slim 2.0). Like the SS, this grip doesn't taper either. The head on my #7 is 400g. As far as proper weight, that will depend on you. It's a feel issue. I didn't add any more weight and several people who tried it loved how it felt.

Pulled this putter out yesterday and took it to the range. Was doing really well with it in lag putting ... until the sprinklers turned on:angry:.

Might game this in the scramble this afternoon.

Pulled this putter out yesterday and took it to the range. Was doing really well with it in lag putting ... until the sprinklers turned on:angry:.

Might game this in the scramble this afternoon.

Awesome. I can't wait to for my SeeMore to ship from Golf Smith and I am going to get it into the shop as soon as possible and finally try out a counter balance putter. What is the length of yours? I normally use a 34" and choke down to about 33" so I was thinking about 36-38"??

Awesome. I can't wait to for my SeeMore to ship from Golf Smith and I am going to get it into the shop as soon as possible and finally try out a counter balance putter. What is the length of yours? I normally use a 34" and choke down to about 33" so I was thinking about 36-38"??
I typically play 34" so I cut it down to 36" leaving me two inches to grip down.

Played very well with this putter on the 4th of July. I got back under a 2 putts/hole average which is something I've struggled with recently, and only had one three jack. Felt confident on everything within 6 feet. I changed the putter, and also switched from my usual left hand low setup so not sure what the fix was ... but as long as it keeps working, I'm going to keep sticking with it.

Last edited:
Two more rounds with this putter in the bag ... as much as I loved my STX, I have gotten used to the #7, so it stays in the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's great. Only have 27 holes in with mine but quickly liking it. Took some getting use to just because the new putter had a much softer feel and different roll than my rife

I'm not in love with the 37" PCB I built, yet. It's doing me well inside 10 feet and 5 and in is almost automatic. It's the long putts and lags that are just not there for me. I'm either way long or way short. Just can't get the feel down outside that 10' range.

If I could ask those of you with a scale, what is your total weight? And whereabouts is your balance point?

Designing a counterbalanced putter

The balance point for mine is ~8" up the shaft. Not sure of total weight, but the head is 400 grams and grip is 136.

Would love to see what the balance point is for other folks. It's hard to find solid numbers ...

The balance point for mine is ~8" up the shaft. Not sure of total weight, but the head is 400 grams and grip is 136.

Would love to see what the balance point is for other folks. It's hard to find solid numbers ...
I couldn't take it anymore and ungripped and cut another 1 1/2 inches off and took out some of the counterweight. I forgot to measure total length, but the total weight is a whopping 640g and my scale says it's about an E0.

Bumping an older thread that's not OEM specific.

For those still gaming a CB putter, what kind of length are you using?

Is it your "fit to" length with just a CB grip or are you going 2 or 3 inches longer than standard with a CB grip?

IIRC, the most common were selling at 38-39" which is about 3" longer than stock.

Is it your "fit to" length with just a CB grip or are you going 2 or 3 inches longer than standard with a CB grip?

IIRC, the most common were selling at 38-39" which is about 3" longer than stock.
I still game my project from time to time. I added two inches to my playing length (play 34" so set length to 36"). If I recall correctly, it's suggested that you choke down an inch or two on a CB putter, which is why I added the two inches.

Played with THPer Tee1Up this weekend and he has a Scotty that he counterbalanced himself. It's heavy and beautiful. I'll have to get him to post his setup in here.

Thanks for the bump, as I am looking to start my first ever CB project soon. Got a Yes Sara center shafted long putter off the bay for cheap, and should have a superstroke square grip coming soon too. The grip supposedly weighs 110g, so I think it has to go with a heavier head. Plan on cutting the 48" Sara down to around 35" and adding the grip.

Here's the head I'm going with:

ea4344734c9094575a027c7035287ce4.jpg

Nebgolfer, what's the lie angle on the Yes! long putter. I used a belly putter for my conversion because the lie angle was the same as the conventional putters. The long putters had a more upright lie angle IIRC.

Neb: sounds like it used to be a broomstick putter given the 48" length.

Be careful with that as the lie angle on those models is typically different than your regular 35-43" putter.

Nebgolfer, what's the lie angle on the Yes! long putter. I used a belly putter for my conversion because the lie angle was the same as the conventional putters. The long putters had a more upright lie angle IIRC.

Neb: sounds like it used to be a broomstick putter given the 48" length.

Be careful with that as the lie angle on those models is typically different than your regular 35-43" putter.
Yes, the lie angle is on the upright side at 78*, but I've seen other places where this putter has been converted to CB, so I'll give it a shot. Might be a bad idea, but I do tend to like a more upright putter. Fairly low cost experiment at least.

MillerTime posted about my putter that I counterbalanced. It is a Scotty Cameron Mid Golo Putter. I cut it down to 38" and then added a 17" Super Stroke 3.0 with a 50 gram Tour lock weight in the grip. I don't know right off how much it weighs but I will see about getting that info and posting some pictures. You can also just use a clevis pin instead of the Tour lock weight. A 50 gram clevis pin will fit into the butt end of the shaft and then just put the grip on over it. It is a very smooth putting piece of golf equipment. Putts of 10 feet and less are much easier with this setup. I have read on other sites that people have trouble with long putts but I don't seem to have that problem.

Here are some photos. It weighs a whopping 690 grams!

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • end grip.jpg
    end grip.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • whole.jpg
    whole.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a 52 inch odyssey putter with a 450 gram head last spring cut it to 29 inches put 155 grams of lead tape under the 17 inch winn grip and ((love the thing)) -- Makes the stroke very smooth -- A big change from the bullseye I have had for years

I may have the most ridiculous home CB set up there is. I put little care into it's execution. I basically wrapped a half roll of lead tape around a golf tee and stuck it in the hole on top of the grip then taped it in the with athletic tape. I put the rest of the tape on the head forward on the outside edges and middle back. I don't think head weight is over 400g but its enough to make a difference. It is far from pretty but quite effective lol

Got my Yes broomstick putter today. First things first, a broomstick putter doesn't work for me, so lopped off about 10 inches. Don't have my new grip yet, but playing with the lower portion of the split grip I was able to get a feel for how it would work. I don't think the 78* lie will be a problem, as it gets my eyes right over the sight line, like Pelz advocates. The head feels massive without a heavy grip on it, so definitely need some back weighting, possibly even more than the grip itself. More to come when the grip actually arrives, which is as yet unknown.

Maybe my GoogleFu of the forums isn't very strong, but I didn't find a lot of information on actually designing your own CB putter (other than people saying they took it someone who did the work and they like how it performed). It is my intention, depending on degree of difficulty and overall cost, to do this myself. Here is what I have planned:

I have purchased an Odyssey Metal-X #7 Mid Belly Putter. Specs are as follows: 43" length, 400 gram head, 72° lie and 3° loft. It is my plan to get it to approximate the Odyssey Tank #7 CB putter. It's specs are: 36" length, 400 gram head, 70° lie and 3° loft.

First order of business to go get a putter fitting and see what lie and loft best fit my putting stroke. The two putters are very close spec-wise so adjustment of the belly putter for lie shouldn't really be an issue unless I am at some ungodly end of the spectrum. Second order of business is to cut the shaft down, and I was thinking of going with 36" or 38" depending on what my fitting tells me. Currently I game a 34" but maybe that's not the best for me. Third, according to Calloway, they have adjusted the CB putter with a CB weight in the end of the putter (40 grams for the shorter stick). I figured I could achieve this by using the Tour Lock Pro weight system, with an adjustment for the grip weight as I intended on keeping the belly putter grip (I believe it's a Lamkin 3Gen pistol grip that comes standard). The Tour Lock however will allow me to make continual adjustments to get the proper feel to this putter.

At this point, I should have a putter which comes close to the specs of the Tank*, and my hope is to achieve this all for a cost that is roughly a quarter of the price. Am I overlooking anything?

*I'd be shocked if the putter head of the belly and the Tank vary much, if at all in terms of MOI.

Funny was just planning on turning a couple of my old 42" belly putters into 36" counter balanced putters this weekend and one of them happens to be a Metal-X #7 Mid. Sounds like you have a good plan to achieve a replica of the swing weight of the tank putters. For the counter balance I actually have a 10 meter roll of adhesive backed wheel weight material I was going to use inside of the end of the putter shaft since it's free(from work).

Got my Yes broomstick putter today. First things first, a broomstick putter doesn't work for me, so lopped off about 10 inches. Don't have my new grip yet, but playing with the lower portion of the split grip I was able to get a feel for how it would work. I don't think the 78* lie will be a problem, as it gets my eyes right over the sight line, like Pelz advocates. The head feels massive without a heavy grip on it, so definitely need some back weighting, possibly even more than the grip itself. More to come when the grip actually arrives, which is as yet unknown.

Superstroke has their new counterbalanced grip, might give that one a try.

Back