My homemade Shaft Puller experiment :)

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
so ive been meaning to build up my own shaft puller for a while now but never got around to collecting all the pieces and such. I finally saw a method of building one on another site and decided to piggyback off of that as it involved the least amount of leg work for what i needed it for.

I recently got a 7M3 shaft in that i wanted for my 3W, so and my friend wanted the stock shaft from mine in his ping 4W.

So i had to pull an adams adapter and also pull the stock shaft from the PING.

I built the puller using a $10 can crushing mechanism. Used my dremel and ground away a slot that would fit a .355 taper shaft, which ended up working perfect for the woods. screwed it down to a scrap piece of plywood, and mounted a vise i had laying around as well.

It worked flawlessly pulling off the G10 head, and the stock shaft looked to be just fine. Then for the adapter on the adams, i took the shaft out of the head, and actually could not find a washer laying around. I looked around my toolbox and actually used a coin-style spark plug gapper, and put the shaft screw through the hole in the spark plug gapping tool, and secured it to the shaft so that the shaft puller would pull on the gapping tool. Add a little heat and voila adapter was off and shaft was saved. Installed into the G10 and we're both enjoying reshafted fairways :).

I may try to improve this thing if i need to in the future, maybe somehow rig up a bottle jack or a scissor jack in there to do the force applying but for right now this seemed to work just fine.

6DB7980B-5126-44A9-929D-6E4B44B6B9EB_zps8vcsyeyh.jpg
AF04A5F7-D5F2-4CE4-AB17-9F1916CDCDAF_zpstmkpywvx.jpg

Last edited:
The pics aren't showing for me unfortunately. Would love to see what your setup looks like!

The pics aren't showing for me unfortunately. Would love to see what your setup looks like!

it was showing up for me, i tried something different....working now?

That's one wild contraption you got there! The epitome of "Ghetto solutions, for non-ghetto problems!", if it works more power to you.

looks like it a great Macgyver set up sweet that it works well

That's pretty darn cool. Love the ingenuity, nice job!!

Nice work! I have the bottle Jack style, but this seems functional--especially if you are only using it once in a awhile.

Clever use of what you have lying around. Nice job.

Nice work on coming up with this cool, useful contraption

Pretty cool setup. Just goes to show a little ingenuity and some parts laying around and you can make a pretty useful shaft puller.

Nice. I tried pulling with a vice and it wan't cutting it, so I may have to figure something else out like this.

Very ingenius setup. Good job!

This is just flat out cool! congrats on making it work and apparently work well. This is the next thing i would like to start doing is reshafting my own clubs.

My gosh that is awesome...especially considering I have every bit of what you used in my garage right now....even extra spark plug gappers...hahaha

If my wife happens to ask anybody if they know where her can crusher went could you guys please tell her a story about a can crusher theft epidemic in your neighborhoods also??

How's yours holding up? Mine is still going strong (I'm the guy from the other site). I like the addition of the vise. I had planned to add one but never got around to it.

How's yours holding up? Mine is still going strong (I'm the guy from the other site). I like the addition of the vise. I had planned to add one but never got around to it.

still usin it and its still good! Pulled everything from adapters to heads etc etc. works awesome. Only complaint is that the arms of the handle are starting to warp a touch. might need to somehow add a stabilizer bar across them or something.....or just get another can crusher LOL

Yeah, I expected that to be the weakest point. I thought about making a set of arms with some thicker metal, but it's probably easier and cheaper to just buy another can crusher when the arms give out.

Last edited:
Need to add of fix the pix to this discussion.

Back