Kamado Grills

Just read through every post on this thread. Our propane grill has seen better days. I'm set on not getting a new propane grill again. I'm going to a guy I work with house next week to grill out. He has 2 BGEs and uses them every day, and that's saying something in Ohio. He's pretty big into grilling, and is going to prepare a meal and go over the grill and all accessories with me. I'm just starting to research these, but mark my words, I'll have one within a month. Just don't know what kind yet and what accessories.

Just read through every post on this thread. Our propane grill has seen better days. I'm set on not getting a new propane grill again. I'm going to a guy I work with house next week to grill out. He has 2 BGEs and uses them every day, and that's saying something in Ohio. He's pretty big into grilling, and is going to prepare a meal and go over the grill and all accessories with me. I'm just starting to research these, but mark my words, I'll have one within a month. Just don't know what kind yet and what accessories.

BGE has the most accessories.
From everything I have learned after having one for a while now and studying like crazy is most of them are the same. Find one that fits the budget and it will work fine. I spent a lot for my KJ, and my friend's Vision works just as well and costs several hundred less.

BGE has the most accessories.
From everything I have learned after having one for a while now and studying like crazy is most of them are the same. Find one that fits the budget and it will work fine. I spent a lot for my KJ, and my friend's Vision works just as well and costs several hundred less.

Thanks for the advice. Good to know coming from someone who has had one for awhile now. I'll be back here with questions or updates as I start my journey to better grilling. Excited to see one of these in action.

Thanks for the advice. Good to know coming from someone who has had one for awhile now. I'll be back here with questions or updates as I start my journey to better grilling. Excited to see one of these in action.

Once you get used to it, its very easy to do, imparts the best flavor I have tried to date and the only thing I wish was that someone told me early on that make sure its ceramic, make sure the grates and door looks good, and then get one that fits the budget.

I have had mine at around 1000 degrees and as low as 180 for low and slow. My favorite thing to make on it is pizza and wings. Pizza cooks in about 90 seconds, wings I do for about an hour.

But EVERYTHING tastes fantastic.

i don't think you need to go nuts with accessories. i think you want a good starter. i use a looflighter which works pretty well, but i kind of want something more like this though i would need to do more research. a good kamado should come with a two-tier grate, and both grates should hinge to allow direct access to the charcoal. if you want to do pizza, you could get a pizza stone. and you might want to get a heat deflector like this for slower, indirect cooking. i've honestly never used the heat deflector, as i'd rather baste or wet along the way since whatever i'm slow-cooking likely has a marinade or sauce of some kind. you'll want a heavy duty glove or two. a decent thermometer is important too. but i'd say just start small and add later.

Once you get used to it, its very easy to do, imparts the best flavor I have tried to date and the only thing I wish was that someone told me early on that make sure its ceramic, make sure the grates and door looks good, and then get one that fits the budget.

I have had mine at around 1000 degrees and as low as 180 for low and slow. My favorite thing to make on it is pizza and wings. Pizza cooks in about 90 seconds, wings I do for about an hour.

But EVERYTHING tastes fantastic.

This all sounds amazing. My wife will be the hardest sell in the beginning, because it is an initial investment. But she's into organic food and eating healthy and likes to cook outside, so it shouldn't be too tough a sell. Even better if we can find one in our budget like you say and not sacrifice on quality.

i don't think you need to go nuts with accessories. i think you want a good starter. i use a looflighter which works pretty well, but i kind of want something more like this though i would need to do more research. a good kamado should come with a two-tier grate, and both grates should hinge to allow direct access to the charcoal. if you want to do pizza, you could get a pizza stone. and you might want to get a heat deflector like this for slower, indirect cooking. i've honestly never used the heat deflector, as i'd rather baste or wet along the way since whatever i'm slow-cooking likely has a marinade or sauce of some kind. you'll want a heavy duty glove or two. a decent thermometer is important too. but i'd say just start small and add later.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice!

whats wrong with me when I get excited seeing a post about a new grill?

CA is right, about the starter. I have tried most and love this one that I am using now.

http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-Rapid-Lite-600-Watt-Electric/dp/B004JF60SI

Its THP brother, all talk is good talk.
Wait till a THP Event happens for you, then it becomes even more.

Nothing wrong there. My buddies eyes light up when he talks about his. According to him, "with propane your just cooking outside, but with these your grilling!" I'm excited to jump in and find out what all the fuss is about finally.

This all sounds amazing. My wife will be the hardest sell in the beginning, because it is an initial investment. But she's into organic food and eating healthy and likes to cook outside, so it shouldn't be too tough a sell. Even better if we can find one in our budget like you say and not sacrifice on quality.
Use this argument.
I paid 900 for my BGE (including acceasories) in 2006. I have not wanted anything else since the day I got it. It is really cheap when you look at it that way.
Also BGE has a life time warranty.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Use this argument.
I paid 900 for my BGE (including acceasories) in 2006. I have not wanted anything else since the day I got it. It is really cheap when you look at it that way.
Also BGE has a life time warranty.

Very good point. She's pretty much on board. When you look at how much food we're going to plan on cooking on it and how much we'll use it, it really is a no brainer.

Very good point. She's pretty much on board. When you look at how much food we're going to plan on cooking on it and how much we'll use it, it really is a no brainer.
I make everything from meatloaf to pizza on mine. You will love it

fantastic flavors. very easy to throw together. unfortunately I've finally succumbed to admitting I don't do shellfish. guess I have my father the heb to thank for that.

334b28cb55dafafbc78edb732e206d16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks good and a shame about he shell fish. I love it.

fantastic flavors. very easy to throw together. unfortunately I've finally succumbed to admitting I don't do shellfish. guess I have my father the heb to thank for that.

334b28cb55dafafbc78edb732e206d16.jpg

I'm the same way. I told JB next time I will try it with chicken.

I'm the same way. I told JB next time I will try it with chicken.

I thought the same thing, it would be awesome with chicken.

it was pretty good with the mahatma saffron rice, but white rice would be good too.

That looks real good.

I'm giving my Green Egg away and trying one of these grills, that Green Egg has nearly killed me a half dozen times anyway.

Kamado Grills

Saw a Green Egg in person at my buddies. He cooked an amazing meal of cedar plank Salmon and diced potatoes on it.
571bd9abfe4248318e227c0f1d871192.jpg

That convinced me it was finally time to pull the trigger. In the end, I decided on the Komado Joe Classic. Same quality as far as I could tell with all of my research, and came with more accessories than the BGE would have. Here's the store model, gets delivered this Tuesday!

170e4e42ce7dc3409d0d829723e1ee89.jpg
1afc39a6d7e8fe0997edde7e76ab4eaf.jpg

Thats what I have Misike. I have the black version. Fantastic grill.

Oh nice!!

This is on my must list when we buy the new house and move. I want one so damn bad.

Thats what I have Misike. I have the black version. Fantastic grill.

The wife and I debated back and forth for awhile, in the end settled on red. Pretty excited to get started with it. Especially after seeing the BGE in action, and talking about it for about 3 hours with my buddy, who cooks on his almost every day of the year, winter included.

Oh nice!!

This is on my must list when we buy the new house and move. I want one so damn bad.

I've been wanting one for awhile. The gas grill finally went, seems like I've been waiting forever. This one will be a keeper.

I have had an akorn kamado for a year or two. I use the lump charcoal, and can smoke on it or get it up to 800° to sear something or 400 for pizza or chicken. I use a smaller lower grate for cooking steak.

Reviving an old thread here, but does anyone have any recommendations for a decent wireless thermometer? I have gone through two of the cheaper ones already.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back