Its Time I swallowed my pride

I went to game improvement irons this year ... game what makes you a happy camper!

Honest question if I may ... when folks recommend graphite, what is the thought behind the recommendation? (just trying to understand and not debate the topic)

For me, the comfort part of having graphite irons is a much softer feel even with off-center hits. You don't get the jarring vibrations you get with irons. So, it's easier on the joints.

The performance part is three fold. First, with the lighter shaft, everything being equal, I get a little more distance, which at my age, I need. Secondly, because there is more torque as opposed to steel, I'm forced to swing smoother. Notice I said smoother and not easier. I think I swing just as hard, but if I swing with a jerky motion I chunk, skull and hit fat. And thirdly, probably because of the first two, I have fewer off-center hits. Who doesn't want that?

Later,

John

Technically my irons are almost hybrid clubs. If you hit them better then play them IMHO.

I game two hybrids currently and have gamed a 5 hybrid at one point. If you are looking at unusual set up, I was at a demo day last weekend and saw a guy at the Callaway tent get fitted for both a Divine Nine to replace his 4 iron, and a XR 11 Wood to replace his 5 iron, his iron set started at a 7 iron (because he also was fitted for a 6 hybrid). I didn't hate, in fact I grabbed the 11 wood and couldn't hit a ball that wasn't high and straight. I'm in serious ponder mode about this 11 wood at the moment. Like Arnie said, "Swing your swing..."

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My longest iron is a 6 iron. Times have changed and options are endless.

I am playing whats in my Sig. 4W, 7W, 4-6H already and at times have thought about a 7H as I don't work the ball I just want them to go where I aim. Play what suits you and your game! Golf is about fun and enjoyment so play what lets you enjoy the game.

Last edited:
Hybrids rock! They help keep me in the game with the flat bellies. Play what works because there is no WITB picture on the scorecard. I love hitting a Mashie tight from 165 when the young gun goes long and left with his 7I. Immense satisfaction....... :angel:

JM

Something that worked for me and a very inexpensive experiment......ProSoft Inserts. they are a combination of foam material in tube form you insert in the butt end of your steel shafts and they really do a good job at dampening harmful shock. They dont change the swingweight. I'm an old goat whio had chronic wrist tendinitis from hitting millions of tennis balls,and the inserts really worked for me....no more pain! just the occasional twinge that i get often from doing activities that arent even golf. They worked every bit as good as graphite shafts for me and a full set will cost you very little..you would need to regrip of course. highly recommend..good luck

3-6H for me with steel irons starting at 7. Next set will be 3h and 4h, an easier to hit 5 and 6 iron and more of a players iron for the rest.

I wish I would have swallowed my pride years ago. I replaced my i20s with Gmaxs 2 weeks ago. Wow, so much more forgiving and the graphite shafts really help my 47 year old joints. Well, I almost swallowed my pride, I ordered 5-UW, and I am struggling with the 5 iron, but I hit my 4 hybrid consistently. I think I am going to a 5 hybrid now.

Basically I came to the conclusion that I just want to enjoy the game and have fun on the course, and dropped any preconceived notions I had in my head about what a "real" player would use. Very liberating to just find what works for me regardless of looks and brand. One of my golf buddies is a single digit handicapper, early 50s in age, and he just went from his Apex CB forged with steel to XROS with graphite. I played a round with him 2 weeks ago, and he said he will never look back. He hits every club 1 club longer and has less fatigue in his body.

Well, the new club arrived last week but due to rubbish weather havent don a test yet. 1st impressions are that its a good looking club, quite a weighty head so hoping that will transfer a bit more energy into the ball. Rails on the sole should stop it from digging in too much (my main issue with most irons). They fitted it with a True Temper lightweight shaft as opposed to the no name lightweight shaft advertised so thats a bonus.
I'll test asap along with my current 6 iron so see what the crack is.

Thanks for the responses guys. Im sticking with steel shafts but ive gone for a lightweight model similar to the one on my taylormade 4h. If someone said i'd be knackered by the age of 36 ten years ago i'd have laughed at them. Here i am at 36 and im falling apart! :disapointed:
Luckily, like they said in the 6 million dollar man "we can rebuild him". And the company i work for actually can (must check on the staff discount for kness, writs and shoulders)

Bck on to the club, my test club has arrived so once i pick it up from my mums (yes, she still takes delivery of all my parcels) i'll have a good go with it....getting excited.

Been there, am there ...

I would counsel that if you have shoulder and wrist issues to at least go graphite in Hybrids if only for the long term well being of your joints. But if you are only going irons in 9i to Wedges, that will be less wear and tear (If steel, I'd go liteweight Nippons).

You mention that you dig, and that's bad on the body. I'd counsel you to find a shallow angle of attack - think wide (or think is U shape instead of a digger's V shape) - for less digging and shock.

I've gone woods, hybrids all the way, and then 7i-LW. All you need to do is add a low flying hybrid to your arsenal when you need to stay under something.

I've tinkered with my favorite hybrids - Bobby Jones Black from 21, 25, 30, which I have, and could add a 35 and then go 8-PW. But I tinkered with lessons, fitness and speed and have the time, so my swing is improving. But if I did not have time, I'd go woods/hybrids to 35 degrees. The game is easier that way.

Good luck with your game.

Been there, am there ...

I would counsel that if you have shoulder and wrist issues to at least go graphite in Hybrids if only for the long term well being of your joints. But if you are only going irons in 9i to Wedges, that will be less wear and tear (If steel, I'd go liteweight Nippons). I'd counsel you to find a shallow angle of attack - think wide - for less digging and shock.

I've gone woods, hybrids all the way, and then 7i-LW. All you need to do is add a low flying hybrid to your arsenal when you need to stay under something.

I've tinkered with my favorite hybrids - Bobby Jones Black from 21, 25, 30, which I have, and could add a 35 and then go 8-PW. But I tinkered with lessons, fitness and speed and have the time, so my swing is improving. But if I did not have time, I'd go hybrids to 35 degrees. The game is easier that way.

Good luck with your game.

Thanks Desmond. Good advice. Shallowing my swing is one thinig i've been working on and it has turned my bad shots from fats to thins (didnt old Jack once say thin it to win it?). The big test will be when i gey to practice on turf as mats dont half disguise bad hits so this hybrid may well fit the bill.
Graphite may be an option in the future, all my steel shafts in my irons are 99 gram true temper so fairly light as it is but as they say every little helps"

Thanks Desmond. Good advice. Shallowing my swing is one thinig i've been working on and it has turned my bad shots from fats to thins (didnt old Jack once say thin it to win it?). The big test will be when i gey to practice on turf as mats dont half disguise bad hits so this hybrid may well fit the bill.
Graphite may be an option in the future, all my steel shafts in my irons are 99 gram true temper so fairly light as it is but as they say every little helps"

You probably know that mats kill your body, too. I would take a lot of practice swings between shots, use wedges during the winter, go at 50-75% when you are making changes or working on a particular issue. Less wear and tear on the body. With steel v graphite, it's the difference in vibrations, not necessarily the weight although lighter steel does help. You might also try a softer grip to soak up the vibrations.

Sort of in the same boat, although I didn't move to a full hybrid set. I did swap from a players iron with steel shafts to a GI with graphite shafts. My wrists were causing me pain due to the weight of the club, plus lost me about 10 yards. After a fitting, I ended up with graphite shafted AP1's. My wrists are definitely better during the round (I still have to go through the pain of hitting those first few shots on he range to loosen them up), and the bigger cavity has made my iron play more consistent. As others have said, you gotta do what you gotta do!

So, managed to get an hour at the range yesterday to test the Acer 6h. Put it up against 2 other clubs, the Wilson Staf Di9 6i and a Mizuno MX-950 6i. The WS 6i was as usual so-so, not terrible but nothing to shout about. MX-950 (ex demo individual) felt strange, ok distance.

So with a bit of apprehension i pulled the Acer, took a swing and the ball just screamed off the clubface, its hard to hit a bad shot. Nice little "ting" sound like my Taylormade and felt great. I know people say the like to feel the shot for the feedback but the thing i like about hybrids is that it feels like you are hitting ping-pong balls.

its vinicated the purchase to the point om looking at the 7i. This is what i love abou this game, there are so many options. If you cant hit blades, try GI or SGI, if you cant hit them try hybrid irons etc.

So its that time of year again. Spring is in the air and we can all dust off the clubs and get out. Normally i cant wait. My head would be full of expectations that this year, after the winter practice, will be the year.

Trouble is that im not looking forward to it. Sure, due to the iminnent arrival of mini me number 2, it will be a shorter season but the main reason is that (and im sorry to say this) i feel im falling out of love with this great game.

Terrible iron play last year and wrist an shoulder injuries as a result are partly to blame for this. So i was about to mothball the clubs until i spoke to my physio. He said "what are your strongest clubs?", my hybrids are followed by 9 iron and wedges. "well, get rid of the irons and replace with hybrid irons as the wider soles dig less and your wrists will thank you for them". He uses full hybrids (only in his early 40's) and is a single digit hcp.

So, after much consideration, i decided to swallow my pride and start off small. I ordered an Acer XDS react 6 hybrid to replace my 6 iron, and depending on how it goes, may well get the 7 and 8 too. You see i have come to the conclusion that its not whats in your bag but how you use it that counts. This game is hard enough so why not play to our strengths.

Do you any of my fellow Hackers use full or partial hybrid sets or "unusual" bag setups that differ froom the norm?

I also recently joined the mini-me number 2 club, so first of all, congratulations.

I'll also echo the play what you like/works best/helps you score better/makes the game fun club. As an example, here is the middle of my bag the last few seasons after driver and fairway wood:

Wilson Staff Fybrid 19.5*
Adams Idea Super Black hybrid 21*
Callaway XHot 5H 25* (replaced a broken DSG Walter Hagen 24* hybrid)
Callaway BB Diablo 5H 27*
Tour Edge J-max Bazooka Gold Iron-wood 6 30*

It's a fun bag to play, fills the gaps just fine believe it or not, and between the sticks and some lessons, I've improved. Now after the season, I added a Big Bertha 7H because I was struggling with my 12 year old Wilson 7 iron, and I've cranked the loft on it up to 34*. It helps that the clubface is hot too.

So not only is my bag a mutt, my longest iron is an 8. Take my man card please!! My 8 and 9 are currently the only things in my bag that match. I'll be 38 in a couple weeks, my bag is quite odd, but quite frankly, I don't care what my bag looks like to people I play with. Most of my friends and I are high handicappers, a couple mid-caps at best, and we just enjoy the game and have fun. I played last summer with a couple of older gentlemen playing an all hybrid set (Cleveland hi-bore maybe? Whatever they were came before the Altitudes.), and we actually had a great conversation about equipment for about 5 holes before discussing other things.

So play what works and what you enjoy, the scorecard doesn't care if you used a hybrid or a blade on that approach shot. Meanwhile, I'll be looking online at Acer XDS 8 and 9 hybrids while waiting for the snow to melt. Again...

Back