Mizuno JPX-EZ Driver - THP Preview Thread

It's one of the most common things I read when a driver comes out that is somewhat unique.... and after hitting just about every driver for the last few years, some for extended periods of time, it's only awkward for a short while before it just makes sense to the eye.

People need to trust their own abilities to adapt to what they are looking down at.

without a doubt. That stuff rarely bothers me once I start playing. It's like the white driver, I didn't like it at first, after 5 swings I didn't worry about it.

This is me. I couldn't even tell you what the crown of my driver looks like.

I'm the same way. Someone asked me if the big swoosh had been taken off of the Vapor drivers. I told them I thought it had. Got home, looked at the driver. Nope. Just never noticed it at address.

Great pictures Dean. I'm looking forward to your range/course thoughts.

I want to hit it.

Doesn't look anywhere near as good as the 850, IMO. Luckily, I haven't had issue with paint durability yet.

Rally loving the looks of this. And the higher spin could really help me. Can't wait to get to hit this one. Really liking the direction mizuno is going with this one. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

This will be getting some range action after work today. Pretty interested to see what comes of it. I really like the finish on the top, was a fan of a similar finish on SLDR S.

Oh and wanted to post this. This booklet came with the driver. Here is the loft chart and how it effects face angle.

b9c21e95a79e88e4466d12a02f5fa7af.jpg

The crown graphics and overall color scheme is a bit of a miss for me. But seeing a "xlr8" version of the six shaft is really cool!!!

I know some don't care for the looks of the crown, but I absolutely love it. The color is fantastic, the matte finish on it gives off no glare. The blue graphics on the outskirts have no negative effect to me.

9eec891056b9696532c2eebf118354fe.jpg

9dd3d3c770b8a64eeac50b492444d5fd.jpg

Really digging that look at setup.

That thing looks great Dean. With so many other clubs out there with crown graphics (some more subtle than others), I think their effects on the mind are overstated to the #InternetGolfer proportion.

Like the irons, this was in play for the weekend of 54 holes and a range session. Here some quick takeaways.

Mentioned above, but I really dig the finish. I know that's a personal thought on it, but man to my eyes, it just looks good. Compared to the GBB that I have been playing, it has a taller face. That gives me the confidence to tee the ball up higher and just let it fly. The alignment aide, I wasn't a fan of, but like Canadan said, after a few swings the thought of it slipped my mind.

Distance was pretty good. Maybe not the longest out there, but still a solid performer in that area. Ball flight, as I would have expected coming from the EZ line, is high. After testing on the range, I set it at 9.5, which leaves an open face. My current gamer is set to 8, but setting this at 8.5 I battled the ball going right with that 2.5 degree open setup. At 9.5 though most shots were straight which was good, with a touch of fade at the end. Completely playable and controllable which was great. I have no spin numbers as of yet, but will have some time on a LM this weekend with it. Forgiveness was strong with it. Misses high, low, and out on the toe were not too punishing. Not afraid to say that my driving with this over the weekend was much more consistent that I have been for the previous month.

Sound - eh hit or miss for me. It's a loud, somewhat metallic sound. I didn't particularly care for it, however my father on the other end really liked the sound. The sound differences from the center of the face, to anywhere else could be heard fairly easily. While the ball results weren't bad, the audible feedback was enough to know that you didn't catch the sweet spot.

A lot of golf on tap here in the next 5-7 days. Really can't wait to get back out with this stick.

Like the looks
and like the more spin aspect

Good thoughts Dean of the Village Dec, IMO this is a big jump in looks over the 850. Sound concerns me, but I'm not surprised to hear your feedback there.

Good thoughts Dean of the Village Dec, IMO this is a big jump in looks over the 850. Sound concerns me, but I'm not surprised to hear your feedback there.

the sound caught me off guard the first couple of swings. I thin it will be hit or miss with some folks.

I like the looks. The mizuno drivers are solid but for me have not been as long as others. Some good thoughts so far Dean.

So any updates on this one???

There is a lot to like about this club. In the end for me I couldn't get the launch down with it. Spin, while often over thought, also was higher than my other crop of drivers. So distance wise it just wasnt a great match. That being said, super forgiving and has a large headshape/face. If you liked the SuperTri back in the day, you will probably enjoy this offering.

Good feedback there.

Nicely done Dean. Seems like yet another illustration of Mizuno being on the right track with their metalwoods. Also really seems to be a solid compliment to the 850 which was in the lower spin realm for most.

Nicely done Dean. Seems like yet another illustration of Mizuno being on the right track with their metalwoods. Also really seems to be a solid compliment to the 850 which was in the lower spin realm for most.

absolutely. It's a nice way for them to round out their driver lineup. Even though I did not see my best numbers with this, I saw plenty of people who hit it extremely well on the range and course. I know Mizuno is not the first name I look for when I think driver or metalwoods, but this is a solid offering.

absolutely. It's a nice way for them to round out their driver lineup. Even though I did not see my best numbers with this, I saw plenty of people who hit it extremely well on the range and course. I know Mizuno is not the first name I look for when I think driver or metalwoods, but this is a solid offering.

I'll admit too, though I adored the blue they used in the 850, I think the move to this color was necessary if for no other reason than durability.

They're definitely getting there, and frankly its exciting to see.

Back