Golf Ball Review - Blind Ball Testing

For those that have had some time with your woods and irons, how does this ball compare in terms of compression? Does it feel hard on impact and maybe closer to 90+ compression or is it softer close to the 60-70 we see from Chrome Soft, '14 B330-RX (RXS), or softer than that?

This is something that I haven't really thought about when testing. It's something I've thought about focusing on, but forget when I'm actually out hitting the ball. I will try and remember to focus on this more next time I'm hitting it.

It really is. Its why I believe that compression and being able to compress a ball properly is the most important trait in choosing the ball.

I have recently found this to be so true. I have been playing the Q star and just love it off the tee. I dont swing out of my shoes but not slow either I think the compression just works for me and I am able to maximize my distance more noticeably with it.

For those that have had some time with your woods and irons, how does this ball compare in terms of compression? Does it feel hard on impact and maybe closer to 90+ compression or is it softer close to the 60-70 we see from Chrome Soft, '14 B330-RX (RXS), or softer than that?

I agree with t4k and Hawk. I haven't had a chance to hit a ton of full shots with it yet, but it feels like it is probably on the softer end of the spectrum to me. When I played, I alternated it with a Chrome Soft. It didn't feel quite as soft as the CS, but the difference didn't seem huge to me.

I agree with t4k and Hawk. I haven't had a chance to hit a ton of full shots with it yet, but it feels like it is probably on the softer end of the spectrum to me. When I played, I alternated it with a Chrome Soft. It didn't feel quite as soft as the CS, but the difference didn't seem huge to me.

Agreed. It feels softer to me as well. I played it side by side with a Nike RZN White and it was very comparable in terms of feel.

Seems soft to me, I would guess on the low end. I know the market seems to be moving this way and that does influence my thinking. I hit some longer pitches with it today and it performed beautifully. Similar check to the prov 1 from 65yrds or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60* PM Grind Wedge testing on FlightScope. 4 shots with each ball and the average is what is listed. This was not full swing testing, but aiming at a target 40 or so yards away.

Mystery Ball 7,761
Srixon Z-Star - 7,949
Titleist Pro V1 - 7,624
TaylorMade Project (a) - 7,319
Callaway Chrome Soft - 7,752
Nike RZN Black - 7,028
Wilson FG Tour - 7,475

Could things stick out to me.. The new Z Star spins a ton, and the Mystery Ball is very comparable to the ChromeSoft and ProV1.

Did it seem to launch and higher or lower than either one of those?

Wow that's interesting. I had a particular ball in mind, but now I'm not positive

Could things stick out to me.. The new Z Star spins a ton, and the Mystery Ball is very comparable to the ChromeSoft and ProV1.

Did it seem to launch and higher or lower than either one of those?

It was a 50 yard pitch shot, ball flight would not come into play.

It was a 50 yard pitch shot, ball flight would not come into play.

Ahh, wasn't sure if you played them all at a certain trajectory for that shot or not.

Ahh, wasn't sure if you played them all at a certain trajectory for that shot or not.
No sir. Downs short game area, at the goal post.

Ahh well played. So.. It's good?
Most of mine were in fact not good...But the spin test for this was surely fun to do. Flightscope really showed me a few things as far as spin goes, but that is for another thread.

Ironically I tried really hard to show only white on the golf ball as to not see what the other balls were.

Most of mine were in fact not good...But the spin test for this was surely fun to do. Flightscope really showed me a few things as far as spin goes, but that is for another thread.

Ironically I tried really hard to show only white on the golf ball as to not see what the other balls were.

Ah bummer. You put field goals on a range, I feel you must try and pitch it through the uprights.

I look forward to that other thread, that sounds like it could be interesting.

A few thoughts from today:
The ball feels firm but had no trouble stopping. I backed it up with full iron shots a few times and any well struck shot stuck near it's pitch mark. I played it next to the FG Tour on a few shots. The FG Tour seemed to spin more on full shots but mystery ball was very good on pitch shots and half shots. It really flies through the air on a powerful trajectory. Bright white and durable.

Has anyone else noticed trajectory differences with the test ball vs. your normal gamer?

Has anyone else noticed trajectory differences with the test ball vs. your normal gamer?

I have hit some unusually high balls with it, could be user error.

I have hit some unusually high balls with it, could be user error.
Are you seeing this with all clubs or just the ones at one end of the bag or the other?

I have Friday marked off for PTO. Plan on playing 18 with it. Course to be determined although I am trying to find a good deal at University Ridge so that Panda can live vicariously through me.

I possibly have because I've hit some very high shots over the past week compared to what I'm used to, but I have new club heads and shafts. So I will have to spend more time with everything to be able to confidently say whether the ball was a factor in the peak height change I'm seeing. I don't think it's too high though because I've gained distance overall.

BD9A11BC-E371-47F7-9F95-052EBBAE4409_zps5g50zv6k.jpg

I'm back out on the First Tee property with my son (he just finished class). I bent the lie on my new Bridgestone clubs to my specs. What a difference it makes on spin numbers when you actually make contact with the ball on the grooves of the club!

We just hit some from 63 yards and I was getting just over a foot of rollout from my pitch marks. And 2/4 balls within 5 feet of the pin and the other 2 caught fat and on the front of edge of the green.

D9CC9F52-0ACA-4E85-9309-3A0F57145ED6_zpscn5o91qs.jpg

9CDFF805-7578-4FDE-AA00-5184113D5596_zpsfe9uzvw4.jpg

A few from 80 yards with the 58* wedge (previous shots were with the 58* as well).

3ED0B737-9FC9-4C0A-92BC-0E6873842831_zpsdhnytrgo.jpg

I'm not sure about distance, as these may have only carried 60-70 yards. I don't have my laser with my to check. But both spun back on me. One about 3 inches and the other maybe 6 inches.

A76C908D-9C08-4014-862D-46844734F936_zpssne637ll.jpg

0B630C79-48E2-421E-B25A-BC8F0FD29A5A_zpsr1hzgtz6.jpg

ETA - I grabbed my laser out of the truck and these were right at 76 yards.

Last edited:
I'll be having this ball in play exclusively tomorrow. Playing a course that has real good conditions this time of year and the greens are pretty quick so it'll be a good stage for this ball to perform. The five remaining balls I have have all been marked for alignment

Are you seeing this with all clubs or just the ones at one end of the bag or the other?

Mostly top end woods-hybrids. Iron flight seems to be similar to what I am used to.

Heading to the course today with these in tow. Really excited to see what I come up with based on the initial feedback I got from them.

Back