Callaway XR OS Irons Preview

OK I have one round in with these clubs ... please keep in mind I am high handicap guy so "good shots" to compare/gage are a premium . I had Ping I15's prior. Also note worthy I have never had a set of Game Improvement irons.

Look: To my eye, they look good at address, while they are OS (Over Size) they did not look like some of the game improvement irons I have looked at in the past.

Feel: I could tell a little extra weight. They did not feel like I was swinging a brick.

Distance: Definitely gained distance, and I would venture to say at least 10+yrds. I was seeing the extra distance in the GolfSmith monitor, I usually discount those stats to some degree.

Forgiveness: Definitely could tell an improvement with forgiveness. I was on a par 3 that was 115, used the Approach wedge, hit off the toe, but the flight path was right at the flag, but landed about 10 yrds short.

Launch: This is what I wanted more than anything, and I was not disappointed. On a good hit I could tell a difference on the height which I believe added to the distance.

Overall: I really like the clubs and I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone else that struggles with launch angles not high enough.

Last edited:
FYI: my old set was Ping I15, and while the OS are "bigger" its really hard for me to tell that they are Over Size at address ... not like the Ping G-Max for example.

100% agreed. I hit both of these side by side when the OS came out and the GMax was far bigger (and nowhere near as attractive) to my eye.

Callaway has a demo/fitting event going on this week and I am going to give these a try.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Callaway has a demo/fitting event going on this week and I am going to give these a try.

I think you will really like them...have gamed mine now 4-5 rounds and I'm really liking them, very forgiving on mis-hits, distance is good and they really get the ball up without losing distance

Ok guys i got a set on the way. How far do you hit the A wedge . And what is the best wedges gap. 56/60 or 54/58 with the A wedge

Haven't seen much on these lately and thought I would at least give this thread a bump. I'm still gaming these and really enjoying them. With my game I need SGI irons and these really fit my need, easy to hit and very forgiving. They get the ball up easily and the distance is there, so what more could I ask for.

Haven't seen much on these lately and thought I would at least give this thread a bump. I'm still gaming these and really enjoying them. With my game I need SGI irons and these really fit my need, easy to hit and very forgiving. They get the ball up easily and the distance is there, so what more could I ask for.

How much bounce do you get with these compared to the berthas? The berthas had too much bounce when I tried them and the xr's were just right.

I bought a set when I got fit at Callaway and I finally got a chance to get them out on a course. The situation as far from ideal as I drove 6 hours to Arizona and played on 2 hours of sleep so my swing was all over he place, especially after he turn. That said, I was really pleased with these irons. Even on thin shots the ball got up in the air and went straight, pushes were pushes but nothing sliced. I am not great at working my irons, but found myself in a place where I wanted to get some left to right. These irons really just want to go straight and I didn't get much movement. Have to laugh when I can't get enough slice out of them. The 5i is the only iron I am still trying to dial in. Overall I'm about a club length longer than my Ci7's, even thought the lofts are almost identical and the XR OS shafts are shorter... good irons for me.

On a side note... I have also replaced my driver and fairways with Cobra Fly-Z XL's so between the XR OS irons and Cobras the round was pretty much trying to figure out distances; that and fighting my lower body that really wanted to just sit in the cart. I will say that when I kept enough of my swing together, the Fly Z XL's performed great. I have gone with the 11.5* Driver, 19* 5W, and 22* 7W. I can see where that 7w will become my go to club in a lot of situations that are a little out of reach with my irons or I just want to put an easy swing on the ball and still get decent distance.

I have Project X Senior shafts in my XR OS irons. I really like the feel of the standard XR irons with the stock Project X shafts. The XR OS Fubuki AT shafts felt too harsh to me and the Project X are a factory option that gives the XR OS the same soft feel even on miss-hits. At the end of the round, my bum shoulder felt great. That in itself was a major plus.

John

I was surprised in looking at these that they don't appear all that larger then the regular XR's, though the offset "appears" more noticeable. Certainly prefer the satin finish on them.

Well I went crazy and traded mine for M2s thinking i was gaining distance. Played out of my buddies bag he has the OS, Man i sold my M2s on the way home . And will be back to Callaway on Monday. Best i played in a while.

I was surprised in looking at these that they don't appear all that larger then the regular XR's, though the offset "appears" more noticeable. Certainly prefer the satin finish on them.
These were my thoughts exactly after I put mine through a couple of range sessions. And after a couple of rounds this week, I have become fond of the sound at impact as well.

Before I bought my irons, I ran numbers of different manufacturers and models of irons and compared them to the Wilson Ci7 irons I was using.

below are the specs comparing the XR OS to the XR irons. You really have to compare loft to offset to shaft length to get a good comparison.

I ended up with XR OS in a 5-SW with the shafts -1/2".

XR OS
Iron
XR OS Loft
XR
Iron
XR
Loft
XR OS
Lie
XR
Lie
XR OS
Offset
XR
Offset
XR OS
Shaft
XR
Shaft
PW
PW
GW
AW
SW
SW

I hope this helps.

John

Thanks for the above post! Just picked up the 7-PW XR OS from eBay seller today. Going to sell my Ping GMax. Just not happy with the distance on the Pings.

I've been using these clubs for a couple months now. A few random thoughts:
Bought the 3h 4h 5i-Pw combo set
Love the sound of the irons
Don't love the sound of the hybrids
Love the feel of the lightweight steel shafts (the stock ones)
Don't love the feel of the graphite shafts in the hybrids
With solid contact the hybrids rival my driver distance
Can't make solid contact with the hybrids that often
Seriously thinking of getting the 4i and a 3i if there is one
Ball flight with this set is generally a tad lower than with my previous set (Adams A7OS)
Distance is equal or greater than the A7OS set
The irons are a bit more forgiving
Not sure about the hybrids I am so inconsistent with them

I traded the XRs in for the OSs. The OS is just more forgiving. Distance is close. OS sweet spot is bigger. It is more like sweet area. The xr is better at fighting the ball. The OS just wants to fly high.

I got fitted for the XR's a few weeks ago and I'm debating about changing to the XR OS. Was the change worth it for you? I like the XR but don't love them. I have a slower swing speed so was hoping for more help with the longer irons.

Any other opinions about switching from the XR to XR OS would be greatly appreciated!

I got fitted for the XR's a few weeks ago and I'm debating about changing to the XR OS. Was the change worth it for you? I like the XR but don't love them. I have a slower swing speed so was hoping for more help with the longer irons.

Any other opinions about switching from the XR to XR OS would be greatly appreciated!

Bth are really solid options that are very forgiving. Have you hit the OS as of yet?

Bth are really solid options that are very forgiving. Have you hit the OS as of yet?

I tried it while I was getting fit. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between the XR and XR OS in the store.

I tried it while I was getting fit. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between the XR and XR OS in the store.

Then I think you might have found your answer...haha
I would say find a course where you can hit them side by side on the range. You will know after a range session which one strikes the fire for you.

You guys still happy with your XR OS irons? I am thinking of getting a used set of XR or XR OS irons. I'd obviously like to try each out first but with going pre-owned not sure if I will get the chance.

Still happy with mine. Tried the Wilson D300s. Nice, but XR OS still in bag.

I still love mine! Best I've had and tried.

You guys still happy with your XR OS irons? I am thinking of getting a used set of XR or XR OS irons. I'd obviously like to try each out first but with going pre-owned not sure if I will get the chance.

You could get them off callaway preowned site. they have a 90 day return window.... and have sets with really good prices.

Still happy with mine...and the 3 & 4 hybrids that came with the combo set are finally working out well for me.
The actual irons (5-PW) have a really cool sound when struck solidly, and a nice looking ball flight that just gradually gains height and then drops like a rock on to the green (or whatever is next to the green - I'm a 38 handicap, gotta be realistic here, ha ha!)

Back