Walking is tough...

I have NEVER used a cart, ever. I will not use a cart. I left a course because they wanted to force me to use a cart. I use a Click Gear push cart. I have walked every single round I have ever played.

It does get a little easier every time out. I live in Central PA and hills are a fact of life. All the courses around me are hilly. You get used to walking and you eventually find a pace that suits you. I am 56 and usually play 9 holes. Just the way I am with arthritis working against me. I'm usually spent by the end of 9. If I could find a nice flatter track I'd love to play 18.

But ack on topic. Keep at it. It does get easier. Ant the enjoyment is much greater when you can feel the course walking. Keep at it, you'll come to enjoy it more I'm sure of it.

Mark Shuman

When I started playing golf back in Nu Joysea, I used a push cart for all my rounds. Since moving to the desert (Las Vegas), it hasn't been much of an option given the type of golf courses out here. Long treks between holes and the heat is a big deterrent. Golf carts are a must. But as I recall, I miss walking the course. You get to learn more about the game and most importantly, your own game.

Good luck and stick to it...

Walking is tough...

Man I would hate to have a hard stand of will or will never. There are courses that walking is not an option thank goodness.

Heck our course has a quarter of a mile in between 2 tee boxes.

As others have eluded to, staying hydrated is key when walking and not being hydrated could definitely lead to cramps. Also don't hesitate to sit down for a few if possible and even let another group play through. I think the toughest time for people to "learn" to walk the course is when it's north of 85* as it's just another challenge that comes with walking that your body is not accustomed to.

Keep it up. I try to walk whenever possible and I play with one guy that dropped 30 lbs last summer because he walked 3, 18 hole rounds every week all summer long.

Always drink water whether you think you are thirsty or not. If you start getting thirsty then you are already dehydrated and it's too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best way to get comfortable walking 9 is to walk 18.

No, seriously. Fat guy checking in here. You basically just have to nut it out a few times until it doesn't hurt so bad. It won't take too long for your body to adjust if you stick with it.

If you have access to a treadmill, that can help too. A round of golf is about 6 miles. Set your treadmill to 3mph and get at it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and two indispensable things:

1. Good shoes with proper support
2. A good push cart (read: Clicgear)

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to put on my JB hat here and promo that good socks can go a LONG way while walking. see the Kentwool thread. They are expensive, but first hand, ...they do make a difference.

Seconded getting good shoes, its crucial to have a solid foundation. I walk the majority of my rounds and love it; it is a big reason why I lost 30lbs a few years ago and have managed to keep it off for the most part.

I walk most of my rounds which are not either guest rounds or THP rounds.
I cannot stress how important good shoes are, and how much of a difference they make.
I concur - stay hydrated!! I have been a 6 bottle of water per round guy, which still may not be enough.
Push cart >> pull cart.
Don't be afraid to rest.
Wear a big bucket hat - and a cool towel around your neck is amazing!

Man I would hate to have a hard stand of will or will never. There are courses that walking is not an option thank goodness.

Heck our course has a quarter of a mile in between 2 tee boxes.

Can you imagine walking True Blue in that heat and humidity and the distance between most of those tee boxes? It's gotta be close to 1/2 mile between #9 and #10...not to mention the long way around several of those par 3's over water.

This has been an interesting read as I am fixing to start walking with an old PULL CART until I can buy a ClicGear

I walked 18 today for the first time ever and I loved the flow I managed to find during my round. I definitely see myself walking more rounds in the future.

I walked 18 today for the first time ever and I loved the flow I managed to find during my round. I definitely see myself walking more rounds in the future.
Yeah, this is the huge benefit.

For me, if I'm walking a round I'm looking at and thinking about my next shot as I'm walking up to the ball. It's not like you're just sitting in a cart then *ding* it's time for golf and you have to figure out a plan. You can also get a good read on greens as you're walking up to them.

And best of all, if it has rained recently and it's cart path only, you're doing roughly the same amount of walking but you can play faster if you can just walk straight down the fairway. Obviously adjust this for distance between holes on your course.

I don't mind walking except recently when it's been 100 degrees.

As another poster alluded to a good hat is a must. I just picked up a Ping Boonie hat. Really works well for me. I suggest something like it. At a minimum a good ball cap will work. Good shoes and socks are also a big must. You will feel the course and see what shot is called for next. Really allows you to appreciate the game more.

Mark Shuman

I decided to start walking a few years ago, but wasn't sure if I would be able to because of some previous serious injuries. I got a push cart and went out and thought I was going to die the first few times, but over time it became easier and easier. This year, I decided to ditch the push cart and carry my bag, which started the same process over again, but I got really good at it until it became 100 degrees outside. I went back to the push cart quickly until it cools off a little.

My greatest advice is to make sure that you wear the most comfortable shoes you have. If that's not a pair of golf shoes, that's OK. Also invest in some good moisture wicking socks. Dry feet are happier feet. I have also changed the type of underwear that I wear when I'm walking rounds of golf to reduce chaffing.

And the biggest thing: Pace yourself at first. I started walking with guys who had been doing it for 20 years and they walk fast all the time. After the first round, I just had to tell them that I had to slow down a bit until I got used to walking. They actually didn't realize how fast they walked until I said something and they were very nice about slowing down for me for a couple months until I built up my stamina.

Now, I'd rather walk than ride most of the time unless the course is not walker friendly or it's 100 degrees out. In both of those cases, I'll gladly take a cart.

I seriously will not ride in a cart. I wont do it.

Then you'd miss out on a lot of great golf around here. While I love to walk rounds, many course designs around here cannot be walked, even if they would allow it. Just too many elevation changes and a lot of space in between holes.

I would walk bethpage black again in a heartbeat. Some tough hills but nothing that isn't possible. Just couldn't do it back to back days

I cart most weeks, during winter though my course often bans them due to it being just too soft under foot. Like walking as it gives me more time to think about my shot and pay attention to the lay of the course. In summer if I shoot out after work I often walk just to play 9. Played one of my best rounds this year Saturday walking so I don't mind it. Just have to hit them straighter so I'm not zig zagging.

Then you'd miss out on a lot of great golf around here. While I love to walk rounds, many course designs around here cannot be walked, even if they would allow it. Just too many elevation changes and a lot of space in between holes.

Were the same here in Central KY, 4 or 5 of our best courses would be impossible to walk. I love walking whenever I can, but summer can be a rough time to walk.

That is the worst. Especially when you see a water cooler, get up to it and it's empty.

The course next to my house is absolutely horrible at keeping the water coolers stocked up. I get really angry when It's 90 degrees out and I'm dying of thirst, walk up to the cooler on hole 14 and there's nothing in it, knowing that there's no other chance for any before I finish.

I walked for the first time in months on Saturday. Was 100 degrees and I had no hat. Being very out of shape I only lasted 6 holes. I admit I called the clubhouse for a cart! They laughed at me a little but totally worth it.

Back