Walking is tough...

I walked for the first time in months on Saturday. Was 100 degrees and I had no hat. Being very out of shape I only lasted 6 holes. I admit I called the clubhouse for a cart! They laughed at me a little but totally worth it.

LOL...now that's funny right there!

You are doing great! but try sometime to walk in water (swimming pool) water exercise burns more fat compared to that of land, helps you build stronger muscles, and is very effective in burning off calories. Good luck!

Walked 9 this weekend. 100+ degree heat index in St. Louis on Saturday. The golf didn't wear me out, but then I took the girlfriend to the zoo to see the new polar bear. According to fitbit I walked twice as many steps at the zoo as I did on the course.

I'm a bigger guy myself and walk all the time. The key for me to keeping energy levels up is lots of water and healthy snacks (I have a container of almonds and walnuts in my bag at all times, but bring apples and bananas too). Yesterday I walked 18 no problem and it was a base 32*, really humid and with a high UV index (I think 32 is about 90 fake degrees). I always bring a litre bottle full of ice water in a small cooler bag and bring a 2nd bottle of cold water. When really hot I'll drink both on each 9 whether I feel thirsty or not, which would total about 16 cups of water.
Keep at it!

The best part about walking: the silent satisfaction of walking up the fairway to your well struck tee shot hundreds of yards in front of you.

The worst part about walking: the dreaded trudge through the fairway next to yours in search of your ball and then having to hit it basically sideways and then finally walking to your ball for a third shot while the group behind you anxiously awaits and silently fears a potential slow player ahead of them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I would walk bethpage black again in a heartbeat. Some tough hills but nothing that isn't possible. Just couldn't do it back to back days
I honestly can't decide whether to carry or push next time. Carrying was brutal the first two or three holes, and I didn't think I was going to make it, but the last five were easy--and they were the worst hills.

I told Dean on Monday that I felt fine, no pain or soreness at all. Well, I lied, it hit me yesterday like a ton of bricks.

I'll probably push next time…

I would walk bethpage black again in a heartbeat. Some tough hills but nothing that isn't possible. Just couldn't do it back to back days

yeah that would be tough. It's a good walk that's for sure. Wasn't impossible. The back was harder than the front IMO. Pushing was the way to go.

I honestly can't decide whether to carry or push next time. Carrying was brutal the first two or three holes, and I didn't think I was going to make it, but the last five were easy--and they were the worst hills.

I told Dean on Monday that I felt fine, no pain or soreness at all. Well, I lied, it hit me yesterday like a ton of bricks.

I'll probably push next time…

I was sore Monday, yesterday felt fine. I bet you'll push, with your new clicgear.

I was sore Monday, yesterday felt fine. I bet you'll push, with your new clicgear.
I loaded up my Amazon Wish List with all kinds of accessories last night. Just holding out for a deal (or for Scott to give me mine back).

I loaded up my Amazon Wish List with all kinds of accessories last night. Just holding out for a deal (or for Scott to give me mine back).

so waiting for a deal.

I walk every round I play, unless the course requires I use a cart. There are so many benefits - you get way more exercise, you stay looser (I feel like I do at least), and IMO it's closer to the roots of the game. You of course have to work yourself up to it if you are traditionally a rider, but IMO it's worth the work.

This is the first year I've pretty much walked every round. I got a push cart (clicgear 3.5+) and I love it. I struggled at first, but after learning to pace myself it became much easier on my body. I'm a young guy too, and I have found that I have been playing my rounds much quicker compared to previous years. Keep at it, wear comfortable shoes, and bring a snack.

Recently I've convinced my regular group to try walking with me. After 5 rounds together they asked why they never tried walking sooner.

It'll get easier as you go. I suggest you carry a few less clubs and stay hydrated. It'll come around for sure!

Back