tt100

Reaction score
Handicap
Warning - new guy question:

I went to a Ping fitting and was recommended blue (+.75) for G30 or G. He didn't use a lie board or lie tape. He just kept handing me different clubs until I was hitting straight at the pin.

I went to a Mizuno guy who said Std. based on a lie board.

Then I went and looked at the standard lie angles for the Pings and the JPXs. The Ping's standard lie on a 7 iron is 63.38. The Mizuno are 61.5.

My main question is which way does the lie angle go? If Ping black is 63.38, then is blue 62.63 or 64.13?

The Mizuno guy said I was borderline between std and slightly more upright, and that if the std wasn't working they would bend them for free.

Thanks for reading this far. Sorry if confusing. I'm fairly new at this.

By the way, this still sounds silly to me that tiny lie angle adjustment makes such a big difference though I've seen it now myself that just one step moves the ball (at least with me)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My main question is which way does the lie angle go? If Ping black is 63.38, then is blue 62.63 or 64.13?

Going upright brings the lie angle closer to 90*. So blue would be 64.13 based on your information.

Degrees are very important as distance increases. As a example, if you try to putt a ball into a hole 10 feet away and your putters face angle is 1* off, you will miss the putt. When you are talking distances with irons and woods your misses become yards.

Thanks. I realized when I reread my post that the info was all over the map when all I was really asking was the question you answered... I guess I'm so new that I don't have a "regular" swing yet, hence hitting a blue Ping at the stick on one day and a standard Mizuno another day, what with ~3 degrees difference in lie angle. I realize there is more to it than that (though I don't fully understand it yet). Off to practice! Thanks again,

I learned how to adjust loft and lie angle tonight on a bending machine.

What he told me as i did my clubs was pull the stock specs from the oem. For example I know I'm 2* flat and my 5i is 61.5 so i bent my 5i to 59.5

Warning - new guy question:

I went to a Ping fitting and was recommended blue (+.75) for G30 or G. He didn't use a lie board or lie tape. He just kept handing me different clubs until I was hitting straight at the pin.

I went to a Mizuno guy who said Std. based on a lie board.

Then I went and looked at the standard lie angles for the Pings and the JPXs. The Ping's standard lie on a 7 iron is 63.38. The Mizuno are 61.5.

The Mizuno guy said I was borderline between std and slightly more upright, and that if the std wasn't working they would bend them for free.

Thanks for reading this far. Sorry if confusing. I'm fairly new at this.

By the way, this still sounds silly to me that tiny lie angle adjustment makes such a big difference though I've seen it now myself that just one step moves the ball (at least with me)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That seems awful upright for a standard 7 iron lie. That lie angle is usually about a standard 9 iron or even PW.

Seems about right though, my Titleist are 2* up meaning 65* for a 7i, standard is 63* for an AP1

PING's "standard" dot in the new G and GMax is yellow, based on fitting data that's the color most are fit into. So blue dot is actually going to be 3/4 degree flatter than the listed specs.

Mizuno off the rack should line up closer to red dot.

I got the angles of the web site. I guess I assumed they were black. The 7i for the G30, G, and Gmax were all listed at 63.38. I'll look into it

Last edited:
Back