TaylorMade M2 Irons Preview

To Me, these are a great looking set of game improvement irons. I would really like to give these a try and can't wait for the reviews to come in on them.

Hit these today at DSG. They felt good, but were a bit lower launching than my C200s. I was getting good distance though. Not a bad iron set at all.

Hit these today at DSG. They felt good, but were a bit lower launching than my C200s. I was getting good distance though. Not a bad iron set at all.

I'm hoping to hit them tomorrow at GS. Something tells me *nothing* will be as high launching as your C200s though!!

I hit these along with 5 other brands, including the RSi and PSi models.. And these were the easiest to hit. Very smooth.. Great distance .. about 10 yards further then the other models.. PSi is a players club so was not comfortable hitting it.. the M2 went about 5-7 yards further then the RSi mainly because they are stronger lofts.. but the height was good on these clubs.. so good. I ordered them.. Cant wait to hit them..

I hit these along with 5 other brands, including the RSi and PSi models.. And these were the easiest to hit. Very smooth.. Great distance .. about 10 yards further then the other models.. PSi is a players club so was not comfortable hitting it.. the M2 went about 5-7 yards further then the RSi mainly because they are stronger lofts.. but the height was good on these clubs.. so good. I ordered them.. Cant wait to hit them..
Hope they work out for you. We're they similar in size to the RSi's?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yes as far as the head goes.. The shaft seemed to be a bit better.. HL. I hit the RSi and the feel and distance was not the same...

I expect M2 to sell better.

Based on the commercial I saw today with Jason Day hitting them 297 yards - I think they will sell better. It grabbed my attention.

The obsession with lofts being tied to a certain number make me laugh, a bit.

I couldnt care less what iron # is tied to what loft, as long as I know what club I hit which distance, my gaps are solid, and my bag is complete.

This^

I need a certain club to go 150 yards, it doesn't matter if it says 8, 6, or 12 for all I care... just as long as it performs and consistently gives me that distance and the whole set is void of any major gaps.

They did a video on youtube to explain why the lofts are strong. I personally think the days of standard lofts are numbered, with the advancements in technology the "standard" loft has to change

And here it is:

I thought the video made a lot of sense. Basically if they kept traditional lofts on these designs, balls would go straight up. I agree with the previous posters - who cares what the lofts are. I just need to know that there are no distance gaps between clubs.

I understand why they do this with lofts but I don't personally agree with it. I'm hoping they don't keep going down this road

I don't think you do understand. It's not marketing. It's technology built into modern irons. Lofts mean little now. For any modern iron now, you just have to test them & see how they perform for you.

Add the m2's to the list to be tested this spring.

In person, the offset was very noticeable and the hosel looked enormous to me. They did look easy to hit though, that's for sure.

For what it's worth, I did launch these lower than some of the other GI irons I tested - similar to how the Aeroburner were when I tested them. So, I'm not 100% sold there.

I'm looking forward to the M2 Tours, which seem to be in the burner/speeblade/Rsi category.

I hit this in a 7i today for a while. I didn't see a high ball flight, more of a mid with the same carry I saw with the XR Pro 7i. It seemed to be very forgiving, as hits by the heel and toe really didn't result in anything all that offline or off distance. Feel at impact was pretty decent as well.

I'd love to check out the long irons in these, but to me they seemed to be a nice GI option emphasizing ease of use.

I hit the m2 tour today in a 7 iron. This is what a lot us were hoping for. It is a more compact, beautiful head, that looks great at address. I was able to hit it about 10 times. Tight dispersion that launched higher than my speedblades. I was getting between 173 and 179 yards on the launch monitor with an average of 175 which is about a perfect distance for my 7. This is a great club that will fit nicely for those who are not comfortable with the PSi's but want a smaller head than the standard m2's. I was fit for PSi's in the fall but was giving up a half a club of distance for a tighter dispersion. I think m2 tours offer the best of both worlds with tight dispersion and no loss of yardage. I'm glad I never ordered the PSi's and am getting ready to place one for the m2 tours

So how would you pair woods and hybrids at the top of your bag with these irons?

I was looking at the set makeup of their hybrid/iron combo set. The 4h is 22* and the 5 iron is 21.5*. I just don't see how it could logically have the proper gaps between the clubs.

So how would you pair woods and hybrids at the top of your bag with these irons?

I was looking at the set makeup of their hybrid/iron combo set. The 4h is 22* and the 5 iron is 21.5*. I just don't see how it could logically have the proper gaps between the clubs.
Edit: wrong thread....:banghead:

Will give these a swing or two, but first thought after looking at them was XTD.

I tell you what, I'll take my big Bertha 02, 34 degree 7 iron, versus a 28.5 degree M2 7 iron any day. Talk all you want about launch but a 28 degree club is going a certain yardage, whether it says 5 iron or 7 iron. I would hit my 27 degree 5 iron versus a 28 degree m2 7 iron any day. I would love to play an iron that just goes to high that you lose distance, lol. For this slow swing speed player give me an iron at 47 degrees of loft that I can launch into orbit and hit 100 yards. Give me the tech in your 28 degree 7 iron in a 41 degree 9 iron. Some of us want more loft. I'll take an order of M2 irons at old standard lofts and hit high bombs all day. I know how to hit a knock down shot when needed. Give me your technology at old lofts, would love to see that and compare, sorry, My 2cents

I hit most 23* hybrids further than I'd ever hit a 23* iron. Weight placement, shaft length, and ability to make faster ball speeds come off the face are just a number of factors.

I tell you what, I'll take my big Bertha 02, 34 degree 7 iron, versus a 28.5 degree M2 7 iron any day. Talk all you want about launch but a 28 degree club is going a certain yardage, whether it says 5 iron or 7 iron. I would hit my 27 degree 5 iron versus a 28 degree m2 7 iron any day. I would love to play an iron that just goes to high that you lose distance, lol. For this slow swing speed player give me an iron at 47 degrees of loft that I can launch into orbit and hit 100 yards. Give me the tech in your 28 degree 7 iron in a 41 degree 9 iron. Some of us want more loft. I'll take an order of M2 irons at old standard lofts and hit high bombs all day. I know how to hit a knock down shot when needed. Give me your technology at old lofts, would love to see that and compare, sorry, My 2cents

I find that an interesting take when you are playing XR irons according to your signature.

I also find it interesting that no matter how many times we get it directly from the mouths of those who design the clubs that launch is what necessitates the loft that it is still witchcraft and snake oil.

The fact is, playing them at "standard" lofts would result in diminishing returns and LITERALLY shots that would go straight up in the air, not high bombs. Like it or not there is science behind it all and not just "jacking lofts".

But hey, play what you like.

Give me a 34 degree m2 7 iron and dare me to hit it higher and farther than my 02 Bertha, don't think it will happen, but would love to be proved wrong

Give me a 34 degree m2 7 iron and dare me to hit it higher and farther than my 02 Bertha, don't think it will happen, but would love to be proved wrong

You're totally missing the point here, particularly since your XR 7i is 30* itself, but thats ok.

Do what you think is best.

I'm going to take advantages of the R&D advances.

Based on the commercial I saw today with Jason Day hitting them 297 yards - I think they will sell better. It grabbed my attention.

And here it is:

I thought the video made a lot of sense. Basically if they kept traditional lofts on these designs, balls would go straight up. I agree with the previous posters - who cares what the lofts are. I just need to know that there are no distance gaps between clubs.

I don't think you do understand. It's not marketing. It's technology built into modern irons. Lofts mean little now. For any modern iron now, you just have to test them & see how they perform for you.

Add the m2's to the list to be tested this spring.

Thank you that was incredibly informative.

I've been one against the distance claims and loft differences but this makes perfect sense.

Jman, what I am saying is give me those diminishing returns, I would love to hit a ball so high that I'm losing distance, unfortunately that's not me. I am vertically challenged, so give me a 45 degree pitching wedge that goes so high it looks like it's landing backwards.

I guess what I'm saying is I would love to see this technology in a traditional set of lofts, I miss having only having 2 wedges, a 47-49 degree PW and a 56 degree sand wedge. Now I have a 45, 50, 55, and 60 degree wedges because my 9 iron is so jacked up in loft.

I guess what I'm saying is I would love to see this technology in a traditional set of lofts, I miss having only having 2 wedges, a 47-49 degree PW and a 56 degree sand wedge. Now I have a 45, 50, 55, and 60 degree wedges because my 9 iron is so jacked up in loft.

why do you miss having only two wedges? do you find more opportunities to hit lots of fairway woods and hybrids?

explain why jacked up is bad for you. I'm not trying to be difficult, I've just not heard a criticism of the loft issue that resonated with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol people complain constantly that clubs can't deliver on new technology with actually having longer distance, and then it happens and people complain about that too.

Back