The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

Love it Dean
625942e910bf5739c9479a4e1ff7d863.jpg

That Leishman cat really lights up the bus doesn't he?

There's so many little things from this event I'll never forget.

- The look Leishman gave me at the burger place when neither of us could understand a word the waitress was saying haha
- ddec pointing out the Sheldon look alike
- Harvey asking no one in particular but very loudly on the bus on our way through the desert "where do you burry your dead around here" haha we've never seen so much sand
- rallo being sorry. For everything haha

Just so much great stuff that I always think about and just smile. Hell Im smiling as I post this

Finally got to sit down and watch this video and read the recaps in this thread.

The song selection for the video couldn't have been better. Some very intense recaps and I truly enjoyed reading them. Enjoy reliving those memories for the rest of your lives!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listening to Neb talk about his experiences while grinning ear to ear was so much fun tonight. You can just feel the awesome experience he had. Can't wait to hear more on Sunday. And check out the amazing gear in person!

Finally some time to write my recap. First off, I need to thank a bunch of people. Josh and Morgan for making an amazing community that gives us normal people a chance to experience incredible things. Callaway golf and the remarkable people who work there, thank you for letting us be a part of the amazing work that you do, and letting us get to know you all on such a personal level. Matt Wood and everyone at the Hideaway, thank you for opening up your paradise and welcoming us all with open arms. For such an exclusive club, you sure know how to make people feel beyond welcome. Finally, to my wonderful wife who actually has been reading along all of this, and who has supported me through the constant talking about the event, the countless range sessions, the last minute golf purchases that I just had to have even though they weren’t in the budget, and staying home by herself with 2 kids being 37 weeks pregnant. I got to live this fantasy trip with no worries because of all the support that she gave me and I am beyond fortunate to spend my life with her.

While I was out in Cali, I recapped each day from the hotel room, but those were somewhat brief because I was typing on my phone and honestly pretty dang tired, so here’s some added thoughts and general thoughts about the whole experience.

Leading up to the Grandaddy:

The day I found out I was in the Grandaddy was also the day I found out I was going to have a third child, and not too long until I started worrying about the timing of the Grandaddy and having to pull a Jman and drop out due to being too close to the due date. Thankfully when the dates came out they were far enough away from the due date that my wife and I were comfortable with me committing, and I was strapped in for the ride of a lifetime. I’ll admit, I felt the same guilt that Philly talked about, especially going out the day after the king and playing poorly at Torrey Pines, and I remember the feeling like I had to validate the MVP nod, and that I needed to be ready to play the best golf of my life for The Grandaddy, or somehow I would be failing the community. Around July I started struggling off the tee, and that added to the pressure I was feeling, and the quicksand kept getting deeper and deeper, and I kept telling myself that my game would come around, and kept denying my problem until it was really too late. The week before I left for Cali I saw my pro and was actually swinging very well and he identified a flaw that was creeping into my swing and causing the issue, and I left with a lot of confidence, but my final tuneup round had me struggling off the tee again and heading to Cali with very little confidence in my driver. At this point, my mindset was that if we didn’t win and finally bring home the belt, we would be letting the community down.

Here’s the day 1 (travel day) recap I wrote in Cali:
Spoiler

I said I wanted to try and do a daily recap for my own sake and for you all, so even though I should be asleep, I don't think I could if I tried so here it goes. I'm on my phone, so please forgive any typos.

This day was a long time coming, and I slept like crap last night, but 4:30am came quickly and I was off. No issues with flights and got here about 2 hours before anyone else, so connected with Alez367 and we grabbed lunch and went to the crossings for some chipping and putting, which was a ton of fun and I hope pays dividends.

Soon enough, much of the team showed up and we got together at the bar for some introductions and drinks. First impressions were that we would gel pretty well. After awhile, many of us went our separate ways to shower and or nap and relax until dinner.

5:30 rolls around and we all head down early to hang in the lobby until dinner starts at 6, and more bonding and laughter. Dinner was served, and served, and served. It was a seemingly endless stream of fantastic food coming out and we all got our fill and then some. Huge thanks to Josh and Morgan for a fantastic dinner and drinks. During dinner we had great conversations, heard from our awesome captain, and found out our pairings for Tuesday.

After dinner Josh excuses himself, and not too long later comes in with the man himself, Darth Finley who is toting a bunch of swag for each of us. They give us a run down of the amazingness waiting for us, with a fair amount of teasers, and then we all enjoy each others company. Josh and Morgan took off early and the rest of us just stayed down at dinner talking and drinking and most of all laughing. Nothing like shots of patron to bring a team together.

Soon enough we all hit our limit and made our way back to the rooms where it seems we all unpacked our swag, and I have to tell you, this apparel is amazing!

Day 1 is in the books, and its already amazing. We leave for ECPC at 7:45, and were told not to be late, and I don't intend to be. Very much looking forward to tomorrow.

Additional thoughts:

While the 11 of us were hanging out after the adults went to bed, I remember thinking how many fun guys we had on the team. From Harv bragging about the prisons where he’s from, to Rallo coming in late and dropping a 1 liner to break the ice and jump right into the mix. Going into the weekend, I wasn’t sure what to expect from this team because we really didn’t talk a bunch, but that first night really showed it wouldn’t be an issue all week.

Day 2 (ECPC Fitting and tour) Recap from Cali
Spoiler

Day two recap. Honestly, so much stuff went on today that I'm going to have to gloss over some things or my thumbs will fall off from typing, but I know everyone wants to know about the fitting and I'll want it documented, so I will cover that in detail and summarize the afternoon portion.

After an early morning and some great breakfast, we roll up to ECPC and are met by a few of the Callaway guys. Finley gives us a brief tour and then the fittings begin. We had 4 fitters going at once and I was paired up with John, and spoiler alert: John rocks!

Starting d out with John asking about my current setup and determined Apex CF16 was a good place to start, which is no surprise. Started hitting the stock TT xps 95 shaft and it was working well from a ball flight perspective, then we went to Recoil 780 and I picked up 1 mph, then I told him I tended to like a heavier shaft, so he hooked me up with the KBS tours that are in my current irons: boom, 4 mph increase and a dang near perfect flight. Tried the recoil 110 and they just didn't work as well so we decided the tours won. Ended up 1/4" long and 1* up which is what I was fit for in the past, so some nice validation.

Next up, Apex 4 hybrid. Started hitting it really well but was seeing a bigger fade than I'd like. At this point though, I'm about 60 balls in after about 20 minutes, so I'm starting to feel it a little and some not great swings. When I'd focus and out a good swing on it, it just elevated so easily and felt great. John told me that they could adjust lie angle on the Apex hybrids which is something they couldn't do on a fixed hosel hybrids in the past. Hit one last bomb and said I was sold.

Next up, GBB 3w. Piped a few shots and tried a few options but ended up on the kuro kage stock setup (for now) and moved on. Tried the heavenwood but wasn't getting along with it as well so we switched to a 5w and started seeing good results. Popped it in D setting to bring it upright (did not do on the 3w) and moved on to the driver.

Started GBB stock and I struggled with it, which has been something of a theme for awhile but managed to put a few good swings on it. John swapped a few options for me and still fighting it, then we asked about going heavier since it worked in my irons. Pipped a 70g black tie in it and was seeing much better control and fewer bad shots. However, turns out they were out of the black tie so we popped in a rogue 70g io shaft and saw similar results. I was hooking the ball a lot (different for me) and John said GBB had a draw bias so he popped the APW all the way to fade and it straightened it out quite a bit. Because of the change in shaft on the driver we swapped fairway shafts as well and have 70g rogue in all my woods.

Once that was done, we took my fitting sheet inside and got that part input and I went to pick a putter. Tried a few options early and Steven suggested the TC works line. Pulled a #7, eyeballed lie, and sank a few putts on the 16 stimp green. Then I took the putter outside to validate and ended up with a winner.

Finally, medication with RFC to help me figure out/validate my suspicion of the PM 58* working well, and also for him to help me with bunkers. Key tips: wider stance, front foot open at an angle, knee over front foot and weight stuck on the left, and release early. Worked so dang well. Confirmed my wedge choice and I was fit.

From there, took some swings of some different clubs and just hung out on the range until it was time to head to headquarters for a tour and a Q&A with R&D and the CEO, NBD...

The tour was awesome, and seeing all that they can do and the testing that goes into products is amazing. Talking to all the smart people at Callaway, be confident they will continue to innovate and push the envelope.

At the end of our tour they took us to the Callaway live studio where two guys from Oban were just hanging out like normal people, never mind they run a freaking high end shaft company... They start talking about a new release that's coming up, and then bomb dropped, we are the first 12 to get them. Jaw meet floor. High launch/low spin, in 65g for stiff, and a sexy black paint job. Better believe it will get some reps on the range (of course already gripped and tipped) just to see how it compares to rogue.

We had a fun bus ride to paradise, with a ton of taking and bonding, 20 minutes to get ready for dinner, then off to the effing hideaway for a taco bar that was FANTASTIC. Oh, and some delicious margaritas and desserts. More awesome talking, pairings, hanging out, hideaway swag, and then home for more hanging out in the bar.

This day was perfect, every single detail considered. Fitting was eye opening, I can hit a bunker shot now, Callaway has awesome people and production capabilities, pre freaking release high end shaft, hideaway, just all perfect. Tomorrow we play some golf, which honestly feels like icing on the cake, and I can guarantee another fantastic day because we finally get to experience golfing perfection at the hideaway.

Additional thoughts:

The bus ride to the desert was a ton of fun. Getting to talk to most of the zoo crew about golf, our fittings, and just life in general was a lot of fun. Getting to know the people behind the brand and seeing that they’re very similar to us golf nerds is something special that I wish the rest of the forum could see. If this was all the trip was, it still would have been fantastic, but we still had to golf.

More to come...

Day 3 (Day 1 of golf) Recap from Cali
Spoiler

Day 3 recap. This one will probably be shorter for a few reasons; A) there was a live update thread so you got most of the details and B) I'm tired and have been drinking so I'm likely not going to be awake much longer.

We golfed at the hideaway today. I can't describe this course with words because not matter what I say, it won't do it justice. it's beautiful, and perfect, and even kind of hard. Colin and I faced AJ, and for the first time in an event I didn't trust my driver at all and pulled 3 wood, and still topped the crap out of my shot and hit water. Nerves were there but it was just a bad shot. The rest of the rounds had a whole lot of bad swings and uncertainty. I can say, the GBB fairways are awesome and became my go-to club off the tee and worked well in that regard. Golf was fun, but losing wasn't. I think I need a new frame of mind for this event where I thought winning was the most important thing, but frankly with everything we have gone though, it simply isn't. After losing a lot at golf to superior golfers; and frankly, they are superior golfers, no excuses needed, the Zoo crew can play, we went back to the hotel to shower and have drinks. After drinks was dinner and more drinks. I got to sit by Harry, JRod, Scotty, Velardo, and Rhi, and talking to them was fascinating. I would have done that for hours upon hours if I could. Great food too.

Came to the hotel for more drinks, and then came back for the recap. Tomorrow I face AJ again, and I just want to have fun. I've stressed about golf in paradise and it kind of took something away from the event, but tomorrow is about fun and the golf can take care of itself. That's not me giving up or anything, just getting my priorities straight. Thanks for reading, now it's time for sleep.

Additional thoughts:

Entering the Hideaway; you wouldn't know behind this simple entrance is golfing paradise. Also, that building is the gate house, and is probably nicer than many clubhouses in Nebraska. The clubhouse is about a 2 minute drive farther onto the property.

First off, starting on Dye 18 was just mean. Probably the most intimidating tee shot on the course, and there’s a freaking bush in the way that you have to avoid, and while it shouldn’t be in your mind, it is when you’re a mental midget like me. Wish I could have had another crack at it after the nerves settled a little, but such is life.

Going back to my focus leading up to the granddaddy, I really wanted to play well and quite frankly didn’t even come close to doing that. I don’t know that I really expected James to yell at me or anything, but I did expect him to be a little upset based on how the morning rounds had gone and the fact we were getting beat pretty soundly. His attitude was exactly the way he was leading up to it (probably should have paid attention to that sooner), very positive and he kept saying “It’s only golf, and golf is fun”; that’s EXACTLY what I needed to hear. James and I vs Velardo and Ethan was probably the first “fun” round of golf I’d played since July. Great guys, and truly the results were a distant second to the fun that I was having. Seeing Velardo’s stripe show in person was fantastic and I was proud of my cart partner from the king for how far he had come with his game.

Day 4 (singles) recap from Cali
Spoiler

Wow... #TheGrandaddy tres is now in the history books, and I'm still reeling from how awesome it was. The round today was different for me because I was finally able to follow James' advice and play for fun instead of putting a ton of pressure on myself. AJ and Finley put on an amazing show, and very simply the better golfers won, and I'm not going to be upset about that. Our member today was Al, and he was a ton of fun. He had music going all day, and just plain great guy, and helped make the round special. Our caddie, Owen, plays professionally, and on one of the holes after the matches were done, we gave him AJs DBD, and in his uniform and with no warmup, he smoked it. Finley, AJ, and Taylor were incredibly fun to play with, and I'll touch on them in the full recap. Once the round was over, and through the first 30 minutes of the bus ride, I was overcome with emotion for the amazing journey I got to experience. 7 months of prep and looking forward to something and it came and went, and just got swept up in it all. This event is something very special, and something I will remember forever. Time for one more nights sleep in California. More recap will come when that thread opens.

Additional thoughts:

The clive course is B-E-A-UTIFUL. Every single hole is picturesque, and I found it a little easier than the Dye course. Watching Finley and AJ play was actually pretty boring; they just kept hitting nice high baby draws off the tee, finding fairways, and then sticking it close on the approach. I don’t feel like I played horrible, and I kept it close to AJ for awhile, but in the end he was a ton more consistent than me, and I couldn’t capitalize the few times he did make a mistake. The final few holes I started hitting driver off the tee, which is something I hadn’t done for most of the trip, and was bombing my GBB. I wish I had gotten out of my own way sooner and just played golf, but another one of those things that it’s too late to change, so I can live with it.

Overall thoughts:

I’d read the live updates and recaps from previous Grandaddys, and thought I knew what it was about, but looking back I had no clue. I was focused on the wrong parts of the event, and really stressed myself out when I should have just relaxed, which is what everyone told me to do but I just couldn’t. I regret that I basically ruined 4 months of golf by stressing out over it instead of enjoying it, but feel like I left the event with a renewed focus on golf being fun. Beyond being focused on the wrong part of the event, I also had no idea how amazing this event could be. The sense that I got on day one and all the way through the event is that I was living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Personal drivers, fancy hotels, exclusive golf courses, custom clubs, I didn’t know what to expect, but the level of spoiling Callaway did to use 12 hackers was nothing short of incredible. I came back to reality and tried to get my wife to continue the celebrity treatment, and she put an end to that pretty quick…
One other thing I regret is that I didn’t spend as much time talking to a few of the guys on team redemption as I should have. I feel like I talked to most of the members of both teams, but there are a few that I didn’t talk to as much, and I wish I could have done a better job with that. I’m generally pretty reserved anyway, and with some of the big personalities we had at the event, I didn’t need to do a lot of the talking, and I was fine with that, but I could have done better getting out of my shell. Finally, I know people are going to tell the next group of Grandadians that they need to bring home the belt, but I want to make sure and say that while it would be wonderful to finally win one, this event is SO much bigger than that, that I don't want anyone getting too focused on just winning that they miss out on the rest of it like I almost did.

Parting thoughts:

This event was amazing, and lives up to if not exceeds the billing as the granddaddy of them all. We all got to experience something incredibly special, and I truly will remember it forever, and not just because I have awesome new clubs and about 15 new outfits with an awesome logo on it. IceyShanks asked me last night to list the top 5 coolest things about it, and I struggled ordering them but here they are:

1. The people, hands down the best part of it because the people from Callaway, Team Redemption, and The Hideaway were all top notch. Not a single bad egg in the group, and they all truly made this special.

2. The clubs and fitting experience at ECPC. Getting a whole new bag of clubs is pretty sweet, but getting a whole new bag of clubs that you know will work for you because the people who fit the tour pros helped you pick it out is a whole other level. Getting a bunker lesson from RFC? Yeah, that’s amazing by itself, but include it with everything else and it’s a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing. These clubs flat out work, and I’m really excited to get to swing them again soon.

3. The golf course. We all have held the Hideaway on a pedestal since we first got a glimpse through pictures from the original Grandaddy, and it belongs there from what I experienced. Great views, perfect condition, amazing service, and just a top notch experience that I will never get the rest of my life.

4. The millionaire treatment. I live in Nebraska and live a fairly modest lifestyle, so the finer things in life don’t often present themselves to me. This amazing week showed me how some people get to live and I thought it was pretty sweet. The red carpet was rolled out for sure.

5. Getting to talk candidly to Callaway R&D and Mr. Brewer. We’re all golf nerds, and getting to talk to people in the golf industry is always amazing. However, getting to ask any questions you want and getting straight answers without any fluff or dancing around the tough questions was incredible. I feel like I learned a ton in that Q&A session, and was blown away by how solid the culture is at Callaway. Also, they’ve got a lot of freaking smart people in charge, and I think they are in very good hands.

With this novel complete, I do want to thank everyone involved again. This trip was simply amazing, and Callaway, Josh, Morgan, THP Community, Matt Wood, everyone at the Hideaway, my wonderful wife and anyone else that I’ve missed, thank you for giving me an experience that I will never ever forget.

One last bit of recap that I want to do is focused on the people. As I said in my main recap, the people were the top of my list of amazing things about this event, and that’s no surprise given the amazing people that were involved.

First, team Redemption:

James (Jman): I don’t really have the words to tell you how thankful I am that I got to be on a team with you at the helm. Early on in my Grandaddy experience we had a few discussions where you really helped fix my perspective on some things, and then at the event itself you really helped open my eyes to all of the stuff I was missing, and I can’t thank you enough for that. You are a passionate dude, and that rubs off on everyone around you. Thank you for all you’ve done for me, and reminding me that golf is in fact fun.

Colin (CDPCook): Sharing a round with you to start things off was a ton of fun even though I played horrible golf. I didn’t do you a lot of favors on the golf course, but never did I sense that you were down or discouraged or anything other than thrilled to be out there. I should have taken a page out of your book and righted my attitude sooner, but either way, we got to share a round at the hideaway, and it was a ton of fun.

Taylor (TexasHacker): our singles round was truly one of the most fun rounds of golf that I have ever had. We both started a little slow, but we figured it out a little and kept things more interesting than they could have been. Seeing your work ethic in the gym really has inspired me, and I hope to some day be the fitness success story that you already are. I’m sad that you’re moving back to Dallas because I only got to golf with you in KC once.

Josh (JB): It’s always such a treat to see you at events, and was really fun experiencing this one with you in particular. To see you watching everyone having the time of our lives because of something you helped create, I can only imagine the sense of pride that gives you. Seeing you and Morgan going back and forth is priceless. One of these days, I hope I can actually tee it up in the same group as you.

Morgan (GolferGal): I’ll echo what I said about Josh to you in that seeing you two at events is a lot of fun, and getting to know you both outside of the forums and outside of work mode. You helped make the Grandaddy very special.

Dean (DDec): You’re a funny dude, way funnier than I realized, but your selfies had me cracking up, and your one of the few who actually got some points for our team, so apparently you can golf too. It was pretty cool to see how you reacted to this event knowing how much cool stuff you’ve seen, and that really showed how special this one was.

Harv (HarvMP): Love the accent (you think you left it in long island, but you didn’t!), and you’ve got an energy that is infectious. You were smiling the whole time, and I just fed off of it. I’m excited for you to become a dad early next year, and I’m sure you’ll be great.

Mike Papaya (Misike): I didn’t get a chance to talk to you much until the last day when we shared a magical equipment filled car ride to the airport, and sat on the same plane, but I really enjoyed getting to know you a bit more over breakfast, and experiencing this whole journey with you. Turns out we have a lot more in common than I realized.

Leishman (TLeishman34): In my recap I talked about having a regret of not talking to everyone as much as I should have, and you’re one of the ones I was referring to. I think we’re both quiet guys by nature, and it’s hard to get quiet guys to talk to other quiet guys, but the perma grin on your face told me how much you were enjoying this event, and I know it was much needed this year. I’m so happy I got to experience this amazing event with you.

Mike G (Mike_G): I wish I was half as cool as you are. We’ve been to a few events together, and I wish it was a ton more because I’m a huge Mike G fan. You get it, and you’re just such a positive person to be around. Some day I need you to share some fashion tips with me because I’m not TifDip blog approved and you are, so there’s something to strive for. Keep being you, man.

Philly V (PhillyV): I loved seeing you go through this and getting to know you more throughout the trip. You wear your emotions on your sleeve and you're just a great dude. I've got a ton of respect for the man you are, and hope our paths can cross again. Take care of those two little kids, and Mrs. V.

Rallo (Rallo): Saved you for last because you were always last showing up at the event, so figured it fit. You were a freaking blast to hang out with, eventually. Most people would walk into our team dinner and kind of feel out the situation for a bit, but you dove in head first and just owned it. The weather series review will go down as one of the most original product reviews I’ve ever seen. I really hope we can get together for some golf sooner than later, but for sure at an Iowa gathering next year.

I’m out of time for now, but I do want to recap the Callaway folks, so don’t think I’ve forgotten about all you wonderful people.

Last edited:

Great thoughts Neb, thanks for sharing! Man, reading your recaps just opens the floodgates for me and it feels like I'm right back there with you all. Can't wait to hear everyone else's.

Last edited:
Wednesday - Match Play v DNevs & getaway day

Waking up was bitter sweet. It meant this edition of the Grandaddy would be over at the end of the day. As usual I was up early and this time I started packing. Something about that morning just had my emotions going and I almost lost it a couple of times in my hotel room. I pull myself together and take a deep breath. I reminded myself of my captains famous words "It's just golf, go have fun" & that's what I was going to do.

Packed up and headed down to the lobby. I grab my Red Bull and chat with PhillyV for a bit. Next thing I know we are on the bus headed to the course. Ear buds go in and the music is calming me down. I drew DNevs in singles & it was going to take a special round to steal the point based on what I saw from him the day before.

At the course we all head to the locker room and put our stuff away, head to eat some breakfast sliders and off to the carts. A quick check of my gear and off to the range to warm up. I warmed up and then hit the short game area. I wanted to get a feel for the wedges through the rough bc the previous day I had some interesting lies that I wanted to make sure I knew how to play them. About 15 minutes there then off to putting. I was off the day before on longer putts and it was frustrating me. I was making every putt inside of 8ft it seemed, but the longer putts were frustrating. So I just continued to focus on the shorter putts as those were putts I knew I would need to make to remain competitive.

We started on hole #3 and the rest was a blur to be honest. We played with Lars as our Hideaway member and he was super cool. Hearing the stories he told and just his genuine interest in us and how each of us became a member on this team was cool. On time we were in the tee box and the discussion of DNevs and the Bertha Mini Driver he was killing me with came up. After a brief explanation to Lars about it he responded with "I didn't even know that club existed" Ethan promptly said in a jokingly way "that right there tells me we are failing at our jobs". It was cool to see the Callaway light bulb go off in Lars's head and I hope he takes Ethan up on his offer to get him fit into some clubs.

I won't go through the entire match because we did a great job as a team with the live updates, but DNevs and I battled for 18 holes. Neither was up more than 2 and it seemed when one would go up, the other would come roaring back and make the match AS. Dave can flat out golf his ball and kudos to him for knowing the mini was a weapon for him and continue to split fairways with it. The one thing I enjoyed was we both were genuinely pulling for each other. If either of us made a great shot or sank a clutch putt, we were the first to congratulate the each other. I think around hole 18 we found out that the Zoo Crew retained the belt. It hit me pretty hard. I knew we had a hill to climb after day one, but to hear that we failed at brining the belt back to THP stung a little. I'll be the first one to say this event and what we experienced was more than the belt or the end result of the matches, but the competitor in me felt like I failed.

We played out the last two holes because I was AS or 1down after 16, can't remember. We go to #1 (our 17th) and we decide to play it out. DNevs steps up and splits the fairway like he had done all day. I follow up with a good drive but left myself a bad angle into the green. At this point I know I have to get aggressive on the par 5 so I hit a 3w that cut on me a little more than I liked and left an awkward lie with 108 to the hole. DNevs was laying 2 or 3 just off the green so I had to get this one close. I hit a great wedge shot to about 12' feet or so. DNevs ends up making par and I have this putt to go AS going into the 18th (#2 Clive) if it drops. This had been a distance that had given me fits for two days. I push it a little and make the come back putt. Still 1DN and dormie.

The final hole for us was a par three playing 160ish or so. The pin was pretty accessible, but the line I had to take was straight over the water. Again I had to be aggressive, I hit my 7i but it came up just short and hit the bank into the water. DNevs pushed his tee shot left, but still playable. I end up with a bogey and DNevs par's I think and he takes it 2up.

I need to thank DNevs for pushing me and making me earn everything I did out there. It wasn't enough, but he brought out the competitor in me and it was a blast of a match play. The confidence I gained from this match will serve me well down the road. Thank you!

We make our way back to the staging area and most of the team is already eating and hanging out. I take the opportunity to do some damage in the pro shop & meet up with everyone to get something to eat and share our thoughts on the event.

After getting something to eat I head to the locker room to clean out my locker and get ready to get on the bus. As I'm walking out I notice James sitting by himself with his head down trying to get a hold of himself. He was emotionally spent like all of us and it showed. I can't remember the words, but we had a talk and I had to get out of there before I started crying. James I mean when I say you are a big reason I'm a member on THP. If I can carry myself half as well as you do I'm doing something right.

Walking out to the bus I thank Matt Wood one more time for the hospitality the Hideaway showed us. I look and all of the clubs are lined up getting ready to be packed under the bus. At this point I get on the bus and take a seat. It's pretty empty and I just put my head down and I let loose. The emotion of preparing for this event for the last 3 1/2 months hit me and I started crying. The only thing I remember was Hashtag asking me if I was ok and I told him I'm good. This event means so much to me it's hard for me to explain what I'm feeling and me crying was just all of my emotions hitting me at once.

The bus ride was awesome and it was one of the highlights of the trip. To see the ZooCrew genuinely as excited and happy as we were was pretty cool to see. I caught this one the way back to Carlsbad and it seems fitting

14d4db6206bd4fd8faa8837130feca62.jpg

A perfect way to cap off the best amateur golf event ever!

I'll have my team recap later.

Someone likes my bag as much as I do
d88ca331a8edafe5f5f86c845a9ff30a.jpg

So I was thinking back to this yesterday and more the arrival back to Callaway after the event. Questions were coming to me throughout the day about clubs and when people would get them, did we need their shipping address and GG and I asked Jason Finley when the plan was to tell everybody. I walked into Callaway HQ with the Zoo Crew to get the travel bags and Jeff Neubarth was grabbing his hardware to show Team Redemption. As we brought out the travel bags, I saw the looks on the faces of everybody. It was the perfect cap to the perfect event.

At that point, hands were shaken, hugs were given, ddec tried to keep the emmy and Team Redemption got back on the bus headed to the hotel. We all showered and met for dinner later in the evening, and there was this joyous somber to the group. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but in this case it wasnt sadness about what transpired, but sadness that it was over. The 13 people sitting there were the only people in the world that have ever experienced something like what just took place.
As dinner was had and drinks were served, the memories quickly starting coming up. "Remember when..." and everybody would smile and listen to the story as if a Grandfather was giving experience info to a child, despite these memories being less than 48 hours old. There is something about events like this, and in particular this year's event that made it so absolute. Yes the defeat was there. Yes the trip was over. But those lasting stories and discussions will never go away.

Each time you pull the golf bag out to take swings, you will have that look that just says "It was awesome". Each time someone asks (online or in person) about your clubs, you will grin and say "well, there is this place THP and they work with Callaway for the greatest event ever planned". Its The Grandaddy of em all and that evening sums it up perfectly.

And rallo was fashionably late

I'll never forget how exhausted everyone looked at that dinner table. JB you looked like you could have fallen asleep right there and I was just as tired.

Yeah, everyone was just drained, but there wasn't a chance we were going to miss one last chance to hang out. This is one group that I'll never have to explain the magnitude of what TheGrandaddy is (it can't be put into words) because they all lived it with me.

I'll never forget how exhausted everyone looked at that dinner table. JB you looked like you could have fallen asleep right there and I was just as tired.

Yeah, everyone was just drained, but there wasn't a chance we were going to miss one last chance to hang out. This is one group that I'll never have to explain the magnitude of what TheGrandaddy is (it can't be put into words) because they all lived it with me.

I'm still so damn proud how we came together as a team, fulfilled our captains request and let the forum experience it all with us & then conducting ourselves so that this event would live on.

For the member at the Hideaway (Lars) to ask Misike how long he and I had been friends only to be told that we just met a few days summed it up. Lars could have sworn we were lifelong friends the way we got along and interacted.

Adore this group and each of you are awesome individuals who happen to play golf. Miss you guys!

Look what I saw at my home course today!
5a69ffe956b06d4859037bff4f7466f7.jpg

It has been awesome reading all the recaps. The wife has said I can have some time to sit down and type out my thoughts over break! I cannot wait to get mine in here. I feel like I have let you all down a little bit. My recap is coming though! Thanks Mike for the awesome Christmas card! You have a lovely family

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still got some reading of these left to do, but wanted to thank everyone again for taking the time to write these up - you guys are going above and beyond on these. Really great.

I waited until I knew I had an hour or two to read these recaps as I didnt want to have to skim them.

Boy am I glad I did. Thank you guys so much for taking the time to do these, in many cases more than one. I know it's tough to do with the demands on your time around the Holidays.

Also thanks for sharing all the emotions.

A few shoutouts to guys whose journey was really special for me to follow.

MikeG- having spent a few rounds and a couple events with you, I feel I know you at least a little bit. It's hard to imagine you having those nerves on the first tee...you're one of the coolest guys I know. Ha. I can honestly see you having those emotions on the bus at the end. You put everything you have into everything you do.

NebGolfer it was great following your progress almost all year. I know I said it to you privately, but I'll say it here. You were a real inspiration to me throughout the year and I'm sure others as well.

JMan it's obvious what you meant to this entire team by their words and the gesture of the incredible gift. I also know from talking to you last year in Atlanta how much this Event meant to you and how tough it was to pull out as captain. But then again not so tough as it was best for your family, which shows your true character.

TLieshman, I've said it befoe, but I may have been happier for you than anyone when you were picked and that's no knock on any of the others. I'm so pleased to hear how you embraced it.

TexasHacker-what can I say, the pictures of you in San Diego simply couldn't be the same Taylor I saw just 5 months ago in KC and last September in Florida. Sincere congratulations on your work and your goals. And don't worry, I'm sure Finleys day of reckoning is coming. Ha

Last edited:
The recap video looks so much better when you watch it in full screen..... on a 70" SHARP Aquos tv. I was at my parents house and my dad and i were talking about my trip and i was showing him the pictures and he reminded me he had a smart TV in the living room. Quick YouTube search and boom there it was. The most beautiful thing ive ever seen besides being there in person. It was really cool that my grandparents were there too and got to see the video. They were in complete awe

I have some time blocked off at work to knock out some more recaps

The recap video looks so much better when you watch it in full screen..... on a 70" SHARP Aquos tv. I was at my parents house and my dad and i were talking about my trip and i was showing him the pictures and he reminded me he had a smart TV in the living room. Quick YouTube search and boom there it was. The most beautiful thing ive ever seen besides being there in person. It was really cool that my grandparents were there too and got to see the video. They were in complete awe

Yes sir. Its down in 1080P and raw images.

634fd524f36f2da1f3e9986fce470bb4.jpg

I want to go back. So badly.

Back