Stay in Jacksonville or drive to Orlando

sabergo

Reaction score
Handicap
Howdy,

I'm in Florida from Germany for a school this week, but am staying the weekend (13/14 FEB 16) to play some golf. I was wondering what THP'rs opinion on whether to make a two hour drive to Orlando to play, or whether the courses around Jacksonville are just as good? What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

steve

Go play Hammock Beach Ocean and Conservatory in palm coast.

Thanks for the recommendations. I sent an email asking for a Tee time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Place is awesome!!!!! But there are so many courses in and around from Jax to even Daytona Beach there is no reason to drive to Orlando and deal with the tourists. I would also recommend LPGA in Daytona Beach. It's about 1hrsouth of Jax airport. Great course (jones course) and in excellent condition. Staff is also very polite and helpful.

Drive a little further and play world golf hall of fame as well

Drive a little further and play world golf hall of fame as well

Actually World Golf Village is a bit closer to Jax and offers two very nice course - King & Bear and The Slammer & Squire
And don't forget TPC Sawgrass is right in Jax/Ponte Vedra.

Great trio would be Hammock, TPC and WGV.
If you want one less expensive round, St John's Golf & Country Club on Rte 210 right off I-95 is very nice.

If the cost and tee times work for you, then definitely Hammock Beach. Those courses are arguably as good as any in Orlando. Besides, driving through Orlando to get to where most of the worthwhile courses are is a nightmare.

The World Golf Village/Hall of Fame is pretty cool to see as well, just being a fan of golf. You can check that place out and knock out a round at either of their on site courses in one visit.

LPGA International is Daytona is another option if the others aren't doable, and again, keeps you from having to get on I-4. It's also a stone's throw from an iconic American sporting venue, the Daytona Motor Speedway.

"orlando" can cover a pretty broad swath of real estate. personally - and i live in orlando - i wouldn't take the time to drive down here. there's nothing down here that's that much better than what is up your way.

i'm not sure what your budget is, but jb's recommendation is excellent although often pricey. those courses are outstanding. lpga is fun. farther south, venetian bay can be played for dirt cheap and it's actually a fun track in ok shape. i haven't played victoria hills in awhile, but it used to be very nice.

play well!

I just booked a couple rounds in Jacksonville on the 13th if you want to join in. WGV King & Bear in the morning. St Johns later in the afternoon

"orlando" can cover a pretty broad swath of real estate. personally - and i live in orlando - i wouldn't take the time to drive down here. there's nothing down here that's that much better than what is up your way.

i'm not sure what your budget is, but jb's recommendation is excellent although often pricey. those courses are outstanding. lpga is fun. farther south, venetian bay can be played for dirt cheap and it's actually a fun track in ok shape. i haven't played victoria hills in awhile, but it used to be very nice.

play well!

I live next to Victoria Hills. Course is in great shape. Although if I had a guest and between LPGA and Victoria Hills I would choose LPGA.

I just booked a couple rounds in Jacksonville on the 13th if you want to join in. WGV King & Bear in the morning. St Johns later in the afternoon

Sounds good. How do I book to link up with you at St. John's? I booked LPGA Jones Course for Sunday 11ish.

I tried JB's suggestion, but they required staying at their resort, or that my CLub Pro arrange a tee-time. Maybe some other time.

Last edited:
I booked for 130pm at St Johns on 2/13. I booked it online

Glad to see I'll have some good golf around my new residency. Next time I'm down there I'll get a round in.

So what did you think Sabergo? A little windy this weekend but not bad weather for February in Jax.

Slammer & Squire at World Golf Village can seem intimidating from the tee box, but fairways are wide and flat

Back