Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

Anybody tried these and previously used the Chrome+? The Chrome+ is still my gamer ball at the moment (mainly because i picked them up 3for2) but im curious on the Chrome Soft with the lower compression. Anybody see any gains in the chrome soft compared to the old Chrome+

I've played them both. Chrome Soft feels much better to me and I can control it more. Hit it farther, too!

Anybody tried these and previously used the Chrome+? The Chrome+ is still my gamer ball at the moment (mainly because i picked them up 3for2) but im curious on the Chrome Soft with the lower compression. Anybody see any gains in the chrome soft compared to the old Chrome+

Chrome+ was higher spinning off the tee for me than the Chromesoft. Definitely shorter off the tee than with the Chromesoft

The + is also waaaaaay less durable imo

Ive still got about 12 Chrom+ left but the hype the Soft is receiving has me very intrigued. Whats the performance like around the greens?

I had just purchased my 3rd and 4th dozen of Chrome Plus balls when I traded Daddio a couple for a couple of his chrome softs. The next time I go to a golf shop I am going to do whatever I have to do and take whatever restocking penalty I have to take to try and trade my untouched dozen of chrome plus for a dozen chrome softs. On the hardest, frozen like greens I have played in a long long time I had no trouble keeping the soft close to where it landed. For my swing I really couldn't see a nickels bit of difference between the plus and the soft coming into the greens.....but the distance gains with the soft were pretty awesome.

As soon as the weather allows me to get out on the course again I am going to really focus on how the softs compare to the plus on approach and greenside shots. If my results are at all similar to the 9 holes I played with the soft last weekend I can assure you it is going to replace the plus as my #1 gamer, and I really like the plus.

I put the Chrome Soft up against the Supersoft and the Chrome + today for 9 holes. Really did not hit the Chrome + much though. The conditions just were not good for them.
I want to collect my thoughts from the round a little, but I will say that off the tee, the Chrome Soft performed great. I think I only missed one fairway with these in play.

The + is also waaaaaay less durable imo

Indeed. This is the Chromesoft I used yesterday for all 18. Not too bad for all the abuse it took

272ad2a710d438b0e7a339add117b87a.jpg

e878c97c9de71f3fa6e8c65dd108bd95.jpg

Ive still got about 12 Chrom+ left but the hype the Soft is receiving has me very intrigued. Whats the performance like around the greens?

This thread is full of the very answers you seek. You will like what you find.

Bought a sleeve of these yesterday before my round so I could test them out.

I should have know better than to use it on my first tee shot. Major high slice into some deep bushes, LOST (crying inside). I finished that first hole with my Wilson DUO. For the rest of the rounds I used another Chrome Soft and found them awesome to play with. Off the drive they were pretty long and I was hitting them straight with a slight draw. I almost found this ball to draw easier than the Duo or ProV1x that I sometimes play. It could have been me though changing my shot after that first tee shot. But I was happy with them off the tee so that's a plus.

On the fairways is were I was most impressed, all my shots were going straight but not so much roll after it landed but they were flying. I did have one shot were it skipped on the cart path for a while and when I went for the drop I noticed it survived really well, not even a major scuff mark or any mark for that matter so durability is definitely there.

I bombed a shot with my pitching wedge around 105yrds and thought it was over the green. When I pulled up I was shocked to see it left a nice divot and probably rolled less than a foot from the mark. Chipping from the fringe was awesome with this ball, I almost would say I felt more accurate with this ball than the Duo. It felt great off the putter but it was substantially quiet when putting compared to the Duo, which I don't mind just found that interesting.

Overall I would purchase a dozen. The only thing that bugs me is the hexagon dimple design lol. I'm a fan of the regular dimple design but from what I experienced yesterday I could overlook that and play with these. I nailed a couple trees too and found them to be resistant & strong, I played the same ball the entire time so kudos to Callaway for a sweet ball.

I just wanted to check in with my thoughts on Chrome Soft, and hope that it helps someone.

I had played Chrome + for a couple seasons prior to midsummer 2014, when I switched to ProV1x. I always like chrome+, but it just didn't have the feel of other tour balls. My son had played ProV1x for a couple years, so it was an easy switch...but again, it was a switch based solely on feel. Distance, durability, flight, spin on full shots, and control were never an issue with the Chrome+.

I have had the Chrome Soft at the course a few times now, and can report with all certainty, that this ball has not lost any of the attributes that makes Callaway a great ball...distance, control, durability, consistency in the wind, but has gained a significant amount of feel and spin, especially on feel shots around the green.IT IS AMAZING!

My son, who is a Titleist loyalist, noticed my shots, and actually asked for a sleeve. We did a few informal tests, comparing ProV1x with the CSoft, and on partial shots...the results were more than conclusive. CSoft, on 20 and 30 yard pitches, stopped in about half the distance of the ProV1x. Aggressive swings were consistently rewarded with shots that would take 2 or 3 hops, and immediately check. Average contact produced better results than our best shots with ProV1. He couldn't believe it. And the feel is unlike anything else I have hit.

I will say on putting, that it will take some getting used to. If you have a slow, deliberate putting stroke, or if you struggle decelerating from time to time, you'll be coming up short on a bunch of putts. I am pretty aggressive through the ball, with an accelerating putting stroke...I pop the ball a little...and it has still taken time to adjust. This ball is so soft, it almost feels as though it sticks to the putter face for a millisecond before starting to roll. But boy oh boy, when you figure it out, the feel and sound is not anything else out there.

I can't speak for anyone else, but only for what I have found...This ball really could be a ball that takes that next step in technology, that changes how all other balls are made.

Nice thoughts dude, thank you for chiming in! Any feedback is good feedback and will definitely help people.

I've got 3 doz coming this week, pretty excited to put them to work.

I played Monday at Ridgewood lakes and for those of you not familiar with this course it is 18 holes all with water and Monday was also hampered by wind but I wanted to game this for 18 so I figured what the heck. This ball is truly a gamer and has exceptional durability. I put one good scuff on the ball by hitting a cart path on hole 7 or 8 but decided not to take it out of play and see how it went and it really didn't hamper anything at all. Even with the amount of wind we played with, the ball barely lost its path and stayed pretty much on target, I was worried about losing it in the wind and it was simply not the case. As far as feel goes this ball is almost there with the Supersoft but I will say around the greens this ball is far superior. I had 3 balls spin back on me Monday by more than a foot and a half and that doesn't happen with me a lot. I have to say the last few years Callaway has truly been bringing it with their ball releases and this one was no different.

Love hearing all the feedback on these. It's just a darn good ball at an attractive price for a 3 piece urethane ball.

Got a dozen in truck to put to work this weekend if I get the irons Friday as promised, going to work the short game tomorrow with the newly reshafted SCOR wedges and see how the Chrome Soft works around the green chipping and putting. Short game practice is always good for the soul.

#ImwithChad and #Team441 for the win

I have enjoyed reading these experiences. I played some in OK recently and found them to be just as long as the RX for me with as much or more spin. I backed some up which I don't normally do. This ball is pretty nicely priced as well.

JM

You'll change your mind first time when you play them in wind. :)

Good to know. I broke down and bought a dozen, going to throw them in the normal rotation.

You'll change your mind first time when you play them in wind. :)
I have played Callaway balls for the better part of 10 years, and felt like there was not a better ball in windy conditions, mainly because of those hex dimples.

Nice thoughts dude, thank you for chiming in! Any feedback is good feedback and will definitely help people.

I've got 3 doz coming this week, pretty excited to put them to work.

Thanks. I have read dozens of your reviews and you always do a great job. I look forward to hearing about what you think.

I had played C+ for better part of 2 years and loved them. They were just a little more clicky on short/feel shots. The CSoft is easily as long ( if not longer ), but around the greens...OMG! Honestly, you'll be shocked at how much more control you'll have with the CSoft.

So I praised these balls after 1 round. However after playing another 27 holes with them, I just don't see any difference between them and my typical $9.99/dozen Bridgestone B330-RX AAAA lostgolfball.com specials. My average distance off the tee after 45 holes is within 1 yard of my average distance over the last 3 months. They don't check any better than my other ball and about the only difference i see is that I have to make better contact with the putter to get the ball moving on long putts.

So in other words, I'm sticking with the B330-RX balls for now - at least until I can start getting the Chrome Soft on lostgolfballs.com.

Maybe I'm just not good enough to see a difference (unofficial handicap 8.3 - cannot input into GHIN due to my courses being in off-season).

I played cheaper balls at one time, when I couldn't afford anything else, and could see a big difference. It is difficult for me to understand how any person plays a $350 putter, more than $1000 in woods, and $1100 in irons, but cannot figure out why they should spend more than $10 for a dozen lost and found balls. But, to each his own...

I played cheaper balls at one time, when I couldn't afford anything else, and could see a big difference. It is difficult for me to understand how any person plays a $350 putter, more than $1000 in woods, and $1100 in irons, but cannot figure out why they should spend more than $10 for a dozen lost and found balls. But, to each his own...

He didn't say he played cheap balls he said he got B330's from lost golf balls, those balls we by no way cheap. Just cause he got them for a good price they are still a $40 dozen ball.

He didn't say he played cheap balls he said he got B330's from lost golf balls, those balls we by no way cheap. Just cause he got them for a good price they are still a $40 dozen ball.
My bad...

CS will launch how in comparison to supersoft in the short game? And again feels same, softer or firmer off the putter? Sorry for the re-hash, 39 pages now. Thanks

I tried Chrome soft in yellow few days and it was cool day, my gamer ball is srixon z star xv yellow, putting chrome soft has a click it's not soft but not as firm as the z star xv, several times I putted both and roll out the same or z star rolled out a few inches further, on irons where I like chrome soft better felt really good and distance for me was the same, on driver woods hybrids, I like the z star xv better I just like the firmer feel, chrome soft wasn't mushy I like I thought it would it felt but not as firm as z star xv, on chipping pitches, I mainly other day just did some bump and runs, chrome soft does check up, I love both balls I've used the z star xv for several years, going back out tomorrow and saying warm weather I'll have more time to compare both, a friend of mine he hit some pitches and he checks ball up more than I do and he loved them he already ordered three dozen of them, Thanks for listening reading,

Back