Callaway XR Irons Review

Samesman?

Solid review sir. These sound fantastic. The tech is so cool.

These, for me, are a 170 yard carry 8i, that launches and flies higher than the "traditional" lofted 8i which I can only hit 155. That's a win in my book.

This is crazy!

Really liked the 7 iron I hit at the range last weekend. Was just really easy to hit and trajectory was great. Enjoyed it a lot.

Just got a phone call from the golf store, confirming that my new XR irons have arrived and are in store ready for collection.....NICE!
I might have to leave work a little early this evening!!!!!

Salesman. He was talking me out of an iron I was interested in...figured he must know.

Rule 1, most of those guys don't know jack. In this case, its true.

The tech is legit. Not only for distance, but also for forgiveness, as mentioned in the review.

Finally got to spend some time on the launch monitor with these and I am convinced. Averaged 175 yards with the 7i as compared to my typical carry of 165 yards with my X2 Hot. Severe mishits carried on average 150 yards (and I mean severe either dramatically on the toe or dramatically thin). Definitely seem very forgiving.

Put them up against the Apex and they were consistently a club longer and on average 8 yards longer than the Fly-Z.

Many may not like it, but I loved the click sound at impact.

Callaway XR Irons Review

Not a review but.

Ran into the Callaway Rep today in GG. These irons came up in conversation. She honestly isn't one for hyperbole, have known her for a while.

But she could not hide her excitement about them. She predicts they will be the No. 1 selling iron by the end of the year.

She also gave me a sleeve of the Chrome Soft...so anxious to try those out soon.

I'm only getting round to posting up a few pic's of my new XR irons. (It's the first time that I brought a set of new irons from the current model).

I managed to hit the range for a quick session.
Just a few quick thoughts.
Trajectory is a bit higher then the X Hots, which I'm loving. Love the feedback from the club on good shots. Maybe its just me, but on good shots the face sounds like it pops.
Delighted that I got the AW. I'll have to spend a session just comparing the RTX 2.0 50* to it, just to dial it in.

Jusy got finished hitting these, the rsi 2s and apex at the hitting Bay in golf Smith. I definitely understand whay Jman was saying about the grips. They are harsh! Tore my hands apart compared to my new decades...

I swing them in the stock shaft and also the dg s300 shafts. Stock shaft was way too light for me. Could barely feel the club. The s300 was much better for me.

Now feel wise definitely more of a hard click compared to a soft "mush" of the apexs

As for distance with regards to the xrs they are about a club longer for me compared to my current set... But they fly much much higher.

Tap tap taparoo

Hey all,

Has anyone hit these with graphite shafts? I have played steel forever but have begun to have some elbow and upper arm issues the last few years and am considering making the switch I see callaway.com is offering the Recoils at no upcharge. Can anyone give some input as to the stock graphite vs the recoils? My driver swing speed is usually between 95-100 and usually play stiff shafts. I am not a high ball hitter and would like a somewhat high launching shaft but not too light. Thanks if anyone can help.

Hey dude, I've not hit the stock px graphite in them yet, but I have the 680 recoils in my xrp, they're solid launchers and really consistent. They're lighter, yeah, but the balance is nice. I'm a 107 SS guy and the they hold up more than fine for me.

Recoils are good stuff.

I bought the stock R PX graphites...tried the Recoils but didnt get as good of distance or dispersion, and they felt....hard, for lack of a better word. All that said, I know many many people love the Recoils (and that u play a firmer shaft/have more speed than I do), so try both if u can. I'd go so far as to recommend u try both S and R in the Recoils, given the SS u mentioned. I don't know if it's conventional wisdom or not, but the R felt 'stiff to flex' to me.

Hey dude, I've not hit the stock px graphite in them yet, but I have the 680 recoils in my xrp, they're solid launchers and really consistent. They're lighter, yeah, but the balance is nice. I'm a 107 SS guy and the they hold up more than fine for me.

Recoils are good stuff.

Thanks. The recoils I am considering are the ones you have as well. Trying to find a place around here to try them out without paying a ton for a full "fitting." Sounds like it would be a very solid pairing.

Hit these today for the first time at an outdoor range in stiff stock graphite. Distance is huge, and ballflight is high and overall a really nice club. The only thing I was not a big fan of was the offset look in the short irons. I didn't bother me nearly as much in the longer irons. I am tempted to hit the Pro version in the short irons and possibly do a combo set. Would not want to give up the forgiveness these have in the long irons which were silly easy to hit. Unfortunately I was not able to try them with the recoils which I really want to. However the stock graphite was nice as well. Definitely strongly considering a purchase.

I hit a friend of mines on the course today. Yes they are long. I am hitting everything about 2 clubs shorter right now with the arthritis in my spine but I was back to my normal distance with his 7 iron. Easy to hit an the ball just goes.

I hit a friend of mines on the course today. Yes they are long. I am hitting everything about 2 clubs shorter right now with the arthritis in my spine but I was back to my normal distance with his 7 iron. Easy to hit an the ball just goes.

I love it buddy, these are right up your alley.

Going to take these out some more and tinker with them next weekend I think. Honestly tempted to bag the 5 and 6i.

Going to take these out some more and tinker with them next weekend I think. Honestly tempted to bag the 5 and 6i.
That makes good sense for a transition from the irons to the hybrids. Maintain the higher launch and touch more forgiveness through the transition.

That makes good sense for a transition from the irons to the hybrids. Maintain the higher launch and touch more forgiveness through the transition.

Surprisingly to many, I launch these the same as my XRP's, I'm thinking more than anything just about the slightly larger profile for me in that spot, little more forgiveness is a plus.

Surprisingly to many, I launch these the same as my XRP's, I'm thinking more than anything just about the slightly larger profile for me in that spot, little more forgiveness is a plus.
I am surprised more guys don't do this. Most people would benefit from more forgiveness in the middle of the bag, and probably a better launch as well. That's why I go to a hybrid at the 5, and even kicked around using a 6 hybrid. Better players like yourself could do that going to next next level of GI instead. Think I heard Zach Johnson does that at around the 4 iron level even.

This thread needed a bump.

I mentioned this in the XR Pro thread but the KBS TourV90 shaft is a great fit for the XR 6 iron I have and a free upgrade. Slighly lower ballflight than the stock speed step at least for me and same distance (beastly).

If I got more XR's I'd run with that same shaft. The XR sounds really weird compared to my Apex's though so my group knows when the beast is out.

Last edited:
This clubs are really fitting my game. During the fitting I was seeing 9 yards, but I'm really working with them and now seeing 2 clubs more easy. I love the pop from the face of the clubs on good hits.

Back