Getting older and golf

Guys I had to take three ibuprofen and one tylenol from reading your posts in here .

Haha if any young bucks happen to check out this thread it will scare the pants off em !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm relatively young at 51, but I'm a high mileage model and most of it isn't highway miles lol. Like many of you I have some good ole aches and pains that show up for no reason at all, the past year or two has been my knees mostly but this week for the first time I've had some pretty significant back pain for no reason. I think some of it is weight related since I've gotten a little heavier so maybe some weight loss will help I don't know, I do know that as I age I like Ice ream more though lol.

I'm relatively young at 51, but I'm a high mileage model and most of it isn't highway miles lol. Like many of you I have some good ole aches and pains that show up for no reason at all, the past year or two has been my knees mostly but this week for the first time I've had some pretty significant back pain for no reason. I think some of it is weight related since I've gotten a little heavier so maybe some weight loss will help I don't know, I do know that as I age I like Ice ream more though lol.

Heck half century old no spring chicken ?

Gawd I love ice cream !!!

Get up every morning, it hurts from top to bottom. I cannot take anything for inflamation due to the heart meds. the doc told me to just deal with it and I do.
But as my dad said after a quad bypass that did not go well and he was going to need a care giver "everyday you can wake up and wipe your own butt is a good day" So I keep that in mind and try not to complain too much, if you lived a working man's or woman's life there is going to be pain, keep stretching and carry on.

52 here. I mostly seem to struggle with some stiffness & achy joints on back-to-back golf days. Advil/Aleve works pretty well for the symptoms at this point.

I think walking helps a ton. Gets me warmed up much more quickly and keeps me there throughout the round. IMO a big thing for guys our age is balancing physical activity. It is important to stay active enough to maintain good function but need to do so without crossing the line and wearing out or damaging the parts & pieces.

Long-term I need to look at my weight. Currently only about 5 LBS over my best weight from my mid-thirties but our body composition changes as we age and am coming to the conclusion I need to be 10 LBS or more under that weight at this point in my life. Have seen it with my hunting dogs. If I leaned them out as they aged it helped their performance & comfort and also gave them an extra healthy year or two in the field.

I usually put some medicine in here to help me through my round.
a8b913253931ca99ab36b3a4b1534fac.jpg

Hmmmmmmm let me think about this......

A better question would be does any of us old dudes not experience this?

Sore joints are pretty much par for the course. . Heck be glad you still have all of ya joints

My friend, OG, is very wise, heed his warning. Getting old is not for sissies!

I'm right in the wheelhouse age wise of most in this thread (56).

Kind of like OG said after reading all these posts i think I need to go reserve my spot in a nursing home. Ha

I've definitely had my knee issues as most know. I was diligent with my rehab and might have been in the best shape I'd been in years in March.

I've gotten a bit lazy the past 4 months due to issues at work and summertime and all.

I've noticed a few new issues in my neck and left hip which I'll get checked out. But most importantly I need to get back to controlling what I can and that's my workouts and stretching.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I'm 70 and usually play twice a week. I don't have any physical problems other than a loss of flexibility and some muscle strength which has led to a loss of distance of about 1 club over the last couple of years.

I am not as heat tolerant as I once was. There is no way I could play 36 holes in our Texas heat these days and it's also
tough to play consecutive days, I need a days rest to recover.

With that being said I'm happy being a "senior" golfer.

turning 56 here and I only start to feel it if I play 4-5 days in a row, guess I'm not getting old just yet

I tell ya, moving to the great state of Texas was a godsend especially in summer. 100 +degree heat, no problem, all my joints feel a whole lot better in the heat. I still usually take 2 Aleve before a round, a Glocosmine daily and stretch before a round. It does help!

I'm going to be 68 in another 2 months, and feel those aches and pains EVERY morning. I have arthritic knees and a back that is sore, in varying degrees, most of the time. I take some medicine for the knees (Meloxicam), but other than that just grit it out. I find a brief warm-up prior to the round helps, as well as swinging the club within my limits. It helps that everyone else I play with is a few years older than me, and we all complain together.

Getting old isn't the best thing in the world, but it sure beats the alternative.

I'm 68, my brother is 65, when we finish our round today we will have played 153 holes over 7 courses in the last 6 days. Starting Monday we played 36 - 18 - 27 - 18 - 36, and today 18 before going to my niece's 40th birthday party. Yes, things hurt, but no more than they did at the start of the week.

I have two arthritic knees, one arthritic hip (my orthopedist has told me that I need a new right knee - I'm resisting); both wrists have been sprained an or broken at least twice during my life and always show some twinges; right elbow had surgery about 12 years ago, and it still pains me some. I have chronic back trouble left over from my whitewater kayaking days back in the early 80's.

I guess i'm pretty much a wreck, but I don't let it stop me from playing as much golf as I want to.

Turned 65 this year. Have always been active. I try to play once a week and usually hit the range for an hour or so, twice a week. I have no medical problems except some mild arthritic pains. Mostly in hands and upper back and neck. Living in southern florida for the last 3 yrs has been the best move. Started playing after a 12 yr layoff when I moved down here. It took me almost 3 yrs to relearn that new clubs won't fix a bad swing and that shorter and straight is much better than a little longer and in trouble is much better. 210 in the fairway without trying to kill the ball and tweaking back is a lot better than 230 in trouble.

Train harder, stretch, yoga, practice more, use the mental strength and wisdom that comes with age and give those young lads and lasses a run for their money!

DLIII just won on the Tour at 51. Projecting forward, I don't think we're old in golf until about 90. :angel:

Heres another reason why I hate slow play. Rigamortis is a danger if I'm waiting to long to hit.

Injuries and surgeries too numerous to list and I'll be 58 in November. Every morning is a noisy experience from all the popping and cracking when I get out of bed.
I've tried the glucosamine route and it has never done anything for my bad knees. A very hot shower, some ibuprofen or Aleve and a good stretch and I am good to go. The ball doesn't go as far as it used to, but at least it's going where I want it to more often than previous years.

Hi I am Ken ... and yes I am a old fart to some ... only a few more months left of my 50's and then its on to the 60's.

I keep in relatively good shape, but it is a conscious effort on my part. Lower back, knees, shoulder are my problem areas ...

I really don't mind old age, its seems to be showing up at a really bad time ...

My main goal is not out live my little willie (sorry couldn't think of a good way to say it, and not be politicly incorrect)

I tell ya, moving to the great state of Texas was a godsend especially in summer. 100 +degree heat, no problem, all my joints feel a whole lot better in the heat. I still usually take 2 Aleve before a round, a Glocosmine daily and stretch before a round. It does help!

If I had to play in temps 100+ you would be picking up pieces of my body scattered about the course. By the 18th I'd be nothing but an eye with a hat.

I'm 43 and have a ruptured disk in my lower neck. When I golf several days in a row it acts up. I just take Advil and rest. Your body tells you when it needs a rest. Make sure you stretch to avoid injury to. I barely see anyone stretch at the range/course. Maybe they stretch at home like me.

Question for you old coots: With some of these ailments you fight with, do you find it hard to start your swing with your shoulders? For me if I'm not careful, I start it with the arms and that ends up getting everything out of sync and duck hooks fly like it's hunting season :beat-up:

Y, yes. Because of back it's almost all arm swing

Y, yes. Because of back it's almost all arm swing

Yup. I figure many folks use more of a arm swing than they realize and it's mostly from losing flexibility and such.

I don't think of myself as old but I did turn 50 in March. I'm certainly more sore after a long range session of 250+ balls than I was 25 years ago. It also takes me an extra 5 minutes to warm up/stretch before a round especially in colder weather. As far as my strength and flexibility, those have not declined yet but I work damn hard in the gym, on my bike, and on my ski trainer to stay in shape. A shoulder reconstruction in 2011 and a ACL replacement in 2012 wound up being blessings because it forced me to learn a lot about flexibility, how the joints/muscles work and how to take care of them with all the time I spent in PT.

I have noticed if I pack on an extra 10 lbs I do lose flexibility in my torso and some distance but if I keep my weight in the 175-180 lb range(same weight as when I was married in 1994) I keep my distance off the tee. I imagine in the next decade father time will catch me and my I may have to move to the white and eventually the senior tee but hopefully more time to play and practice will keep my short game in a place where I'm still shooting some low scores.

Back