Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
My hands are bit larger than the average person. From the inside of my wrist to my longest finger = 8 inches. I have played oversized grips and tended to push the ball more to the right. Now I play regular size and I seem to have more control but occasionally get too much pull or hook. Is grip size more or less a personal thing according to physique and does the larger grips decrease any distance at all? Also do the larger sized grips cause a person to push right or is it more related to a blocked shot etc?

P.S. The feet together drill you mention in early threads:

I tried the feet together drill for helping me feel what the upper body is doing and it has done amazing things for my swing. Such a simple practice tecnique that works great! I have put it in my preshot routine for now :eek:) Thanks a ton for this tip!!!!

To answer that grip size doesn't effect distance. What it does is quite simple. The bigger the grip the less hand action in the shot. If oversized grips result in a push and a standard grip results in a pull have your club maker add tape under a grip to build up a standard grip and find a happy medium. There is some personal feel in this but as a guide for me if a guy wears a large-x-large glove I have the club company add 1 layer of tape if the oversized grip doesn't work.

Grip size to lie fitting

Grip size to lie fitting

Thanks. There seems to be some interesting things to consider when you are tweaking your equipment. I have also heard that some tall players actually have their irons bent 1 or 2 degrees flat. I would think they would need more of an upright lie?

It all comes down to what the head of the club is doing at impact. If it needs to be flat to square up the club you do what it takes.

Welcome to THP KC! Another one of us!

Having your clubs outfitted with the proper grip size is an absolutely critical component, but it's also the most overlooked. A properly fit grip will help you return the clubface to square at impact, thus enabling you to control the shot. Playing with a grip that is too large will limit your ability to release your wrists through impact, causing a slice or fade. On the other hand, playing with a grip that is too small will result in an early release, causing an unwanted hook or draw.

When talking about tweaking the lie of your clubs, taller players do generally require a more upright lie, while shorter players flatter lies. Of course there are multiple variables, but that is the general rule of thumb. A dynamic fitting is the only way to properly determine an appropriate lie angle.

+1 . . .

Back