How many of you don't carry a driver?

How many of you would like to see a driver head about halfway between a mini and a 460 with loft in 12° range and the shaft around 44"? I sure would.

Aside from putter it's the club I use most. Honestly I couldn't imagine plahing without driver in the bag. Aside from that I've been hitting my 3 wood terribly lately and am in the market for a new FW.

How many of you would like to see a driver head about halfway between a mini and a 460 with loft in 12° range and the shaft around 44"? I sure would.
Chop a few inches off the butt and regrip a 12 degree. Also if you struggle with driver it's alwaysa good idea to go r flex. Too many people think r flex is for weenies not knowing it would improve their game 10 fold.

What is the deal with the mini drivers? Are they larger fairway woods, or smaller drivers? Are the shafts shorter? Might be something I should look into.

Chop a few inches off the butt and regrip a 12 degree. Also if you struggle with driver it's alwaysa good idea to go r flex. Too many people think r flex is for weenies not knowing it would improve their game 10 fold.

Can you explain this further? Im struggling to figure out the correlation. Wouldnt having the correct flex be more important than saying R will help someone do this or X will help someone do that? Im sure I am just missing something.

The results are pretty obvious in here though, people aren't struggling with the head size being smaller for the minis. Shaft is the main reason. Simply trimming a driver then leaves issues with swing weight unless you have a driver with replaceable weights. I think a market is evolving for a slightly larger mini.

What is the deal with the mini drivers? Are they larger fairway woods, or smaller drivers? Are the shafts shorter? Might be something I should look into.

Mini drivers came about a few years ago. They are larger than a fairway wood and smaller than a driver. They have shorter shafts than a driver. The CG location varies by model, but in most cases it will be moved forward similar to that of a fairway wood since loft can assist with launch and there is less face to worry about loss of forgiveness.

The head alone (if comparing same loft and models) will be less forgiving than that of most drivers for a number of reasons, but they have caught on for people recently, especially those that never hit their fairway wood off the deck.

The results are pretty obvious in here though, people aren't struggling with the head size being smaller for the minis. Shaft is the main reason. Simply trimming a driver then leaves issues with swing weight unless you have a driver with replaceable weights. I think a market is evolving for a slightly larger mini.

Swing weight can be fixed a number of different ways with very little issue.

That's true. I just got a heavier shaft for my driver with the intention of having it trimmed by an inch. I'm not a huge fan of lead tape but have used it in the past. I guess I need a really good fitting like Callaway offers.

Can you explain this further? Im struggling to figure out the correlation. Wouldnt having the correct flex be more important than saying R will help someone do this or X will help someone do that? Im sure I am just missing something.
Let's say you got an r flex Miyazaki C Kua at 45.75. Butt trim an inch and a half, add grip tape and regrip. With added weight in grip tape it will cou ter balance what you took off. Guaranteed it won't affect the flex much if at all.

My brother does it all the time he's got a built in pro shop in his garage. He's a gear head.

Let's say you got an r flex Miyazaki C Kua at 45.75. Butt trim an inch and a half, add grip tape and regrip. With added weight in grip tape it will cou ter balance what you took off. Guaranteed it won't affect the flex much if at all.

I'm still not sure I understand how "going to regular flex" fixes something? I try and understand shafts and talk to the people that make them to make sure people are getting the right info and I have just never heard this before. Now getting the right flex makes sense, based on how the body reacts to something.

I'm still not sure I understand how "going to regular flex" fixes something? I try and understand shafts and talk to the people that make them to make sure people are getting the right info and I have just never heard this before. Now getting the right flex makes sense, based on how the body reacts to something.
A shaft with a lighter flex is easier to "kick" if you will and most beginners to amateur golfers tend to swi g a bit slower.

A shaft with a lighter flex is easier to "kick" if you will and most beginners to amateur golfers tend to swi g a bit slower.

So that goes back to finding the right flex, not just choosing a regular flex. The quote I got stuck on because I just didnt understand it is this one.

"Also if you struggle with driver it's alwaysa good idea to go r flex. Too many people think r flex is for weenies not knowing it would improve their game 10 fold."

Im sure now you see where i was confused. Finding a flex can be as much about feel than ball flight, as the human body is a marvelous tool that adapts. Fine tuning comes from shaft betterment and correct pairing and eeking out every last possible carry yard there is.

And holy crap there are some huge misconceptions in that link that you posted. I mean just downright bad information.

I know the thread was entitled shaft misconceptions. Which, yeah coming from a titleist forum obviously there were some. Nothing against titleist I mean it is their forum but too many people get wrapped up in thinking they have to have a shaft with xxxxxx stiff flex like it's a knock against your manhood if you play anything less. That was more my point and in the process they aren't paired with what would best suit their game.

Just my opinion but stated flex is probably the least valuable factor for a driver shaft that there is. Especially since a tip trim changes the effective flex. To me torque, kick and weight are more important. My clubbed speed is around 102 or so, but a x flex feels much smoother and controlled to me, I also get a tighter dispersion.... but I think that cones more from the lower torque and higher kick point in my Kuro Kage.

Yep, several easy ways to take care of that. SW is subjective. Most people will never notice the difference if you butt trim a shaft and inch. Two inches, maybe.

If I play 6000 yards I can go with a 5w and be okay. But I don't have the power from 6500 to not carry one

Yep, several easy ways to take care of that. SW is subjective. Most people will never notice the difference if you butt trim a shaft and inch. Two inches, maybe.

Just curious. Say if you decided to butt trim 1.5 inches off a 45.75 length driver. To get the swing weight back to factory specs , would you add lead tape to the head or would you try to build the weight back to the grip side of the club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious. Say if you decided to butt trim 1.5 inches off a 45.75 length driver. To get the swing weight back to factory specs , would you add lead tape to the head or would you try to build the weight back to the grip side of the club?

The club FEELS lighter because the head is closer to your hands so you have to increase the weight of the head. for me this doesn't work I don't notice the change when I shorten the shaft but I do notice a weight increse when I add weight to the head.

How many of you don't carry a driver?

I cut my driver down to 44.5 and added enough lead tape to get the swing weight right. I hit the ball today straighter than I ever have in my golfing life. Absolutely nuked the ball on a string and the ones not straight had a tiny draw . It's kind of fun hitting the middle of the club face.

I cut my driver down to 44.5 and added enough lead tape to get the swing weight right. I hit the ball today straighter than I ever have in my golfing life. Absolutely nuked the ball on a string and the ones not straight had a tiny draw . It's kind of fun hitting the middle of the club face.

Where on the head did you put the weight

Back