Callaway Supersoft Ball

So, Popeye: Do you think the Chrome Softs justify the additional cost??

I prefer the SS to any other reasonably priced ball I have played, but have not hit a chrome soft.

Love to hear your views.
I have really been thinking of this question. After a season of getting back into golf and back to my old levels of playing well, I spent a lot of time with the latest ball offerings out there.
I played all the usual suspects and a few brand new balls. I hit a long ball and can stop it very quickly. I really noticed that the performance of the balls today have decidedly closed the gap from high dollar balls to bargain basement.
The Chrome Soft stood out as a great all around performer that felt even better. I stumbled upon those super softs. The Super Softs felt a bit softer, not in a bad way, but continued to perform as I asked it to.
So again, unless you are splitting hairs the Super Soft for the lesser price should be in your bag.

I have really been thinking of this question. After a season of getting back into golf and back to my old levels of playing well, I spent a lot of time with the latest ball offerings out there.
I played all the usual suspects and a few brand new balls. I hit a long ball and can stop it very quickly. I really noticed that the performance of the balls today have decidedly closed the gap from high dollar balls to bargain basement.
The Chrome Soft stood out as a great all around performer that felt even better. I stumbled upon those super softs. The Super Softs felt a bit softer, not in a bad way, but continued to perform as I asked it to.
So again, unless you are splitting hairs the Super Soft for the lesser price should be in your bag.
Nice review Popeye, played chrome softs in the past and liked them. But now I like SS even more. Thank ya sir

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

I played Chromesoft when they came out in February and loved them. Bought SuperSoft at a course when there was no CS and, to me, they are pretty similar balls except for the price. I am now playing SuperSoft as my gamer and very happy. They spin/stop when I hit them right. If I don't they roll out but that's the same with other balls too. Long and straight. Nice soft feel on shots and I like them off the putter. No complaints and lots lots of likes.

Played these again for a second full round. Same ball 36 holes. Hardly any wear. First day cart path scuffs are not even noticeable. Really like these on a 3/4 wedge swing. They hit the deck like a dead Haddock. They stay right next to their pitch mark. Shot a nice 71.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've played the same ball for the past 3-4 9 hole rounds and there are no scuffs at all. The print on the number is actually wearing a bit but the ball is still in great shape (and I've had my best 4 rounds of the year in the last 5 plays, all with the Supersoft).

Ok, so third round is down with the Super softs. It was a -4 68. The way the ball plays, it's almost as if it's a very forgiving ball. I know that sounds weird but, it seems to fly higher, go straighter, and putt better. I hit some shots that I thought wouldn't turn out well but found the green. Hit several of the longest drives of the year or career. Truly embracing this ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ok, so third round is down with the Super softs. It was a -4 68. The way the ball plays, it's almost as if it's a very forgiving ball. I know that sounds weird but, it seems to fly higher, go straighter, and putt better. I hit some shots that I thought wouldn't turn out well but found the green. Hit several of the longest drives of the year or career. Truly embracing this ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk[/

Thanks Popeye, and others for your evaluations. I think I will stick with the SS for now. For me it is long, well behaved around the greens, and feels great off all clubs. What more could one ask??

How did these compare to the e6

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gents,
Was hoping somebody could shed some light on this one for me.

When I first bought this ball in 2014, the packaging said "New" in the corner.
In 2015, I bought several boxes that said "New and Improved".
Also the fonts were slightly different from each box.
My guess was the "new" was the 2014 version and the "new and improved" was the 2015 version.

So Monday I went over to Golfsmith and the boxes of Supersofts they had on the shelf had no mention of "new" or "new and improved".
I thought, hmm, maybe this is a 2016 iteration of it.

But I looked inside the box and it had a date of 2014.

So am I looking at a new 2016 version? Or has the ball other than logo font not change?
I could have sworn there was mention that they made the ball slightly lower compression for 2015 and also tried to remedy the cracking issues some were having with early batches.

Any info is appreciated.
If I am not looking at the 2016 version, will there be any changes for this year to the ball?

Gents,
Was hoping somebody could shed some light on this one for me.

When I first bought this ball in 2014, the packaging said "New" in the corner.
In 2015, I bought several boxes that said "New and Improved".
Also the fonts were slightly different from each box.
My guess was the "new" was the 2014 version and the "new and improved" was the 2015 version.

So Monday I went over to Golfsmith and the boxes of Supersofts they had on the shelf had no mention of "new" or "new and improved".
I thought, hmm, maybe this is a 2016 iteration of it.

But I looked inside the box and it had a date of 2014.

So am I looking at a new 2016 version? Or has the ball other than logo font not change?
I could have sworn there was mention that they made the ball slightly lower compression for 2015 and also tried to remedy the cracking issues some were having with early batches.

Any info is appreciated.
If I am not looking at the 2016 version, will there be any changes for this year to the ball?

2015 did have a slightly lower compression and had the box "new and improved". I did not hear of any changes for 2016. But I have noticed the boxes no longer say anything in the top left corner. FYI, the way to tell the difference between the 2014 and 2015 balls was that the 2014 balls had a triangle on the left and right of the supsersoft writing. On the 2015 new and improved balls, the triangles were replaced by the chevron logo. The boxes with no labeling in the top left corner have balls with the chevron logos.

2015 did have a slightly lower compression and had the box "new and improved". I did not hear of any changes for 2016. But I have noticed the boxes no longer say anything in the top left corner. FYI, the way to tell the difference between the 2014 and 2015 balls was that the 2014 balls had a triangle on the left and right of the supsersoft writing. On the 2015 new and improved balls, the triangles were replaced by the chevron logo. The boxes with no labeling in the top left corner have balls with the chevron logos.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like maybe no change then for 2016 which is fine by me

I can't believe I've never given this ball a chance until today. This may be the best winter/spring ball I've tried and at $20/dozen it's a no brainer. Great durability, great feel off the clubs and putter and more greenside action than I expected. This will be the ball I use until conditions improve

I've been using these balls for over a year now.
Good distance off the tee, and check up nicely on the greens.
A few friends have commented that they feel a bit "springy" off the putter but I have never found this.
I've got a few boxes of other balls but it's always the SuperSoft I take out onto the 1st tee with me.

Played this ball again over the weekend and it still impresses me on how good it plays. Specially when you look at the price, plays like a ball that would be in twice it's price range. Darn good cold weather ball!

Played this ball exclusively last year...love it. I've been using cheaper Wilson titanium golf balls In my garage range...took out some Supersofts from my bag today to see if there was a difference...felt soo much better and instantly gained at least 10 yards on the Skytrak. Felt like I was hitting rocks with the Wilson balls. Question is whether I give the new chrome soft a try this year or if it'll be worth it.

My partner uses the Pink version, I lost a bet on a hole her reward was for me to play the next hole with her Pink Supersoft, I use Yellow Q Stars. It was a par 5, off the driver ball flew straight and probably around the same distance but didnt feel the same as the Q Star and same for the Fairway wood, It didn't seem to check up on the green as much as the Q Stars but I think it might have been a bit longer also off the iron. End result still pared the hole just like the feel and check of the Q Stars around the green.

Has anybody using the Supersoft noticed a higher ball flight off the driver? I have a 95mph swing speed and the good drives I hit yesterday went really high and seemed to drop with about 10 yards less distance,kind of like a 7 or 8 iron shot.The fairways were wet so I could see where the ball had plugged with no rollout.

Has anybody using the Supersoft noticed a higher ball flight off the driver? I have a 95mph swing speed and the good drives I hit yesterday went really high and seemed to drop with about 10 yards less distance,kind of like a 7 or 8 iron shot.The fairways were wet so I could see where the ball had plugged with no rollout.

I get a nice high flight with the Supersoft but not so high that I think I suffer from any rollout (provided the ground allows for roll). I have a gut notion that it is a hair higher than an e5 or e6 but I haven't really played the balls side-by-side to be sure of that.

These were my gamer balls all last season. Since amazon messed up and I ended up with a couple extra boxes, I've started using them as my range balls at home as well.

I've cracked two balls so far...which I've never done before. I don't have a high swing speed, but to be fair the balls I cracked had several rounds on them and have been hitting them quite a bit at home before they cracked. Anyone else every crack a supersoft?

One of my friends swears by this ball. Gonna have to try it!!!

Ended up playing this ball for the first time in awhile yesterday, forgot how great of a value it is, feels great and just flat out produces.

Not sure if 2014, or 2015 but callaway supersofts in white $16.50 a dozen at Target when you use target app and put them in cart, you can either have them shipped or pick them up to avoid shipping costs.
Also last I checked Amazon had them on white for the same price.

Over the last 12 months I've played these as well as E5, Project A and Hex Chrome. I keep coming back to these. They're longer, straighter and more durable than the others and have enough spin on full shots to hold the green.
As for the short game- during my last round I holed out pitches from 13m, 20m and a greenside bunker from 16m. They feel good although quiet off the putter (I don't have an insert) and the optic yellow makes them easier to see.
I did have the occasional flyer with the 2014 version but haven't had that problem with the current ball. The only downside with SS is it won't stick on hard and fast summer greens, then I will use a urethane ball but for 9-10 months of the year these do the job.
All up I hit more fairways, lose less of these and most of all, my scores are lower. For the price its an easy choice for ball.

Back