Fake vs Real Multicompound Grips

Galen Marek

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm totally desperate to find Multicompound Whiteout grips (black/white) but I've purchased all local stock and the online retailer supplies are dwindling. I saw 13 for what I thought was a reasonable price on eBay so I purchased them and they were shipped quickly and well packaged. Unfortunately when I opened the box I immediately realized they were counterfeit. There was almost no cord in the upper area of the grip, the ridges in the upper portion were waaaaay more pronounced in the counterfeit version, the script on the grip was not as fully formed and sharp as the authentic grip and it was also taller than the authentic one.

I've taken some side by side comparison pictures to help you guys out though I suspect if you're on this forum you'd probably notice right away as well.

Fake on left.

2C13D8F9-735F-4E84-86AF-B95D4866BC57_zpsu3zkgnn8.jpg

Fake on top

35F9A5C9-B556-4F57-86DF-C4C658CD9FEA_zpsa6qe4gma.jpg

Fake on left

A18B6A99-E2DC-4930-886D-CA6D3536A639_zpszzfdrqcu.jpg

Fake on top

C3D98E0A-9771-4743-9513-45CB1B9B23B4_zpsszmwpu0e.jpg

Fake on left

B53E5854-DB06-42A5-B0D5-8460B6044AA0_zpsvnit5eyy.jpg

Fake on left

8E5B3CDF-63B2-486A-89CA-18837B2871DA_zpsjhyklpza.jpg

Why the hell would someone go to the trouble of making fake grips? Is there that much of a markup on them?

I don't know. Could be a different factory. Could be tolerances are different. Even just a different lot/batch.

Could be counterfeit though. I'm not a grip expert

The photos unfortunately don't do the differences justice. If you had both in your hand you'd see it right away. The feel and the smell are also another giveaway. I've been playing the Whiteouts for years and have bought them from different authorized resellers in shop and online. They were always the same. These were night and day different the moment I opened the box. I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere Golf Pride has only one factory. But don't hold me to that one.

If the counterfeiter's will copy anything to make a buck. Scotty Cameron says at least half of the Cameron grips for sale on eBay are fake.

This occurred once for me. I purchase some NDMC online and received fakes. I never purchased them again afterwards. Sorry that you had to experience the same.​

Wow. It never occurred to me that grips would be counterfitted too, but on something like this when it probably costs less than a dollar to manufacturer and sell for near $10, it makes sense. Now I need to watch carefully where I order my grips.

There must be enough money involved or they wouldn't do it. Sad statement on the condition of our world but it's not original, it's been going on for a long time. Buyer beware, unless you buy from someone on THP!! Chances of a good deal go up significantly!!

File a grievance with Ebay. I purchased some NDMC grips a few years back and filed a grievance after I received them and realized they were fake. Received a full refund about a week later.

I find it hard to believe that someone would go t all that trouble foe such a low markup item.

I don't. Mark up at retail is 40%, so if you can make a fake at $3 or less and sell for $7-8 (undercut retail price of $9.99), I'd say that is a pretty darn good profit margin at doubling your money and then some.

If you don't get caught.

The seller doesn't specialize in golf goods and I believe he was taken as well. He said that he had bought them from a middle man. To his credit, he refunded my full payment and told me to keep the grips as he wasn't going to sell them again knowing they were counterfeit.

Now I can put them up on eBay and make 100% profit! J/K!

There's great margins in golf repair supplies and people are less suspicious of lower priced counterfeit goods.

The seller doesn't specialize in golf goods and I believe he was taken as well. He said that he had bought them from a middle man. To his credit, he refunded my full payment and told me to keep the grips as he wasn't going to sell them again knowing they were counterfeit.

There's great margins in golf repair supplies and people are less suspicious of lower priced counterfeit goods.

Cool you got your money back.

Fake vs Real Multicompound Grips

Thanks for the heads up. Always on the lookout. Crazy Chinese people and their counterfeits. Glad you got a refund

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I also at one point bought ndmc grips off of ebay that were fake. I could tell they felt different right away, still used them on my clubs for a little while but never would have thought about a fake grip until then.

It never occurred to me that someone would sell fake grips, Scotty maybe. Thanks for the heads-up. Glad the guy refunded your money.

That's terrible. I wish someone actually did something about it. Glad he refunded the money.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the seller stood by his sale! People will fake anything it seems these days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's terrible. I wish someone actually did something about it. Hopefully the guy didn't know and refunds the money. If he did know, ebay should take care of it out of good faith.

I think a lot of them do and then offer a refund with the hope that you won't tell anyone, especially EBay.

Good for him, I hate that he got taken but hopefully he can contact the "middle man" and get back his money too.

Always be vigilant I say, those dishonest people will go to any length to screw you. Sorry to hear that bud

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I think a lot of them do and then offer a refund with the hope that you won't tell anyone, especially EBay.

I was considering that and kept an eye on the remaining auctions but they were taken down so I'll chalk it up to ignorance on the seller's part. That's the reason I didn't pursue anything further. The seller is at 100% positive feedback with over a thousand transactions so I'm pretty confident he was taken himself. If I see the same grips go back up on a later date I'll revisit that decision.

File a grievance with Ebay. I purchased some NDMC grips a few years back and filed a grievance after I received them and realized they were fake. Received a full refund about a week later.

^^This^^

Ebay is dead set against sellers that have counterfeits. Whenever I see something being sold or made in China, I hesitate.

Another view of what instantly alerted me to the fact they weren't legit. The Whiteouts are while having ridges are relatively flush, these counterfeits had pronounced ridges that are clearly visible and feel different.

counterfeit:

514832F3-F704-4BE9-8B73-2A49C3812CE5_zpsbdiwezfu.jpg

Legit

3FBF99E9-505F-4710-81A5-A7A3144D358D_zpszrkgp75z.jpg

That sucks Galen. Were you able to get your money back?

I got screwed trying to save some money on eBay. Ended up receiving counterfeit Blue Midsized MCC Plus 4 grips (which do not exist).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back