THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I have often been asked if I struggle with mental illness. I always respond--it's no struggle, actually, I rather enjoy it.

Maybe that's what I've been missing all these years!! May not fix anything but ........

I have often been asked if I struggle with mental illness. I always respond--it's no struggle, actually, I rather enjoy it.

Finding friends with the same mental disorder as you .... PRICELESS!

My doc said it was ok to talk to myself as long as it didn't turn into an augment.

but on topic...this event is constantly on my mind and is one of several things pushing me to improve my game and myself. I have goals that I want to hit this year which is a nice driving force for me like last year. Then when I step back and consider this event it just add fuels to fire to work hard. I don't consider it a grind because I enjoy going to the range or practicing putting so I'm am expecting that whether I make it and/or post event there is no mental drain some see when prepping for a competition.

My doc said it was ok to talk to myself as long as it didn't turn into an augment.

but on topic...this event is constantly on my mind and is one of several things pushing me to improve my game and myself. I have goals that I want to hit this year which is a nice driving force for me like last year. Then when I step back and consider this event it just add fuels to fire to work hard. I don't consider it a grind because I enjoy going to the range or practicing putting so I'm am expecting that whether I make it and/or post event there is no mental drain some see when prepping for a competition.

"Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory."

I done more full time practicing in the last three weeks than I did the whole summer. I want to be totally ready for this or any other event I might be fortunate enough to get into!!!

Off to Arundel Golf tonight - focus on wedges / knockdown shots. Nearly always a way to get some work in regardless of circumstance!

I am really happy to read all the comments regarding how everyone is working hard on their games. It bodes well for the THPers of the DMV. Unfortunately, my current circumstances will not allow me to report the same. Although, I am confident that such is short term. Moreover, I know me and I know what works for me and I have always used the colder months as a means to get away and reset so to speak. While my circumstances were not of my choosing, they are still typical of my approach to the game-what works for me. For me, the quality of practice is just, if not more, important than the quantity of practice. Before I go out banging balls, I want to have a session with my instructor so when I do practice, I practice properly. Banging balls with no real purpose or design will only just wear me out.

When discussing the majors, we often hear pros saying they are doing what is necessary for them to peak at the right time. In a nut shell, that's my plan, when the doctors give the go ahead, I will work with Mark to design a personal program for me to peak on July 9. I assume that would make Mark happy because I will be seeing him more often.

Last edited:
I am really happy to read all the comments regarding how everyone is working hard on their games. It bodes well for the THPers of the DMV. Unfortunately, my current circumstances will not allow me to report the same. Although, I am confident that such is short term. Moreover, I know me and I know what works for me and I have always used the colder months as a means to get away and reset so to speak. While my circumstances were not of my choosing, they are still typical of my approach to the game-what works for me. For me, the quality of practice is just, if not more, important than the quantity of practice. Before I go out banging balls, I want to have a session with my instructor so when I do practice, I practice properly. Banging balls with no real purpose or design will only just wear me out.

When discussing the majors, we often hear pros saying they are doing what is necessary for them to peak at the right time. In a nut shell, that's my plan, when the doctors give the go ahead, I will work with Mark to design a personal program for me to peak on July 9. I assume that would make Mark happy because I will be seeing him more often.

I'm going through a very tough time with my swing right now, so I can relate. I've been trying to work on it at the range, but I've only made things worse it seems without the proper guidance. It's really bad right now, I think there are people who have never swung a golf club who make better contact than I do at the current time.

I have scheduled some time with an instructor on Friday in order to develop a plan of attack. I'm hoping it's just something that's crept in that I just can't identify on my own and I can at least get back to shooting in the 90's with relative ease because right now, it's just not there. You can't hit the ball on the round part of the club and expect any results.

UVA. Practice is a very individual thing. You said it perfectly. You know what works best for you and the part about just bangng balls with no purpose is so true. I think any instructor worth his stripes would say the same thing.

Nobody should feel pressured to practice or play more than they normally would for their own benefit. That's one thing I have had some discussions about with other THP'ers about how some might not try for a big event such as The Grandaddy or The Guantlet because they feel the pressure to keep up with everyone that says they are practicing several days a week for hours on end is too much for them. I know that's not happening here, but has been the case in other events.

Im hopeful and confident they will come to find out what caused youe problems and correct it.

But nobody here is worried about your game being ready. We all know you can roll out of bed on Christmas morning amd split the fairway and roll in a 10 footer like a boss.

I'm heading to the course tomorrow and Thursday to get it some range time and practice. Gonna work on 100yds and in. New wedges , new year and best version of myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New question:

How will you handle the "good - good" (giving of a putt) while playing in this event? Do you have a strategy to using them.

My strategy will be to give them the "good - good" early. And later during the match have them put out around that questionable distance. If its a foot then that's one thing but a three footer is another. It does something mentally by having them pick up early. I don't want my competition to get used to watching that little white ball go into the cup.

I had this done to me by one of the local pros at my home course in a friendly match and it was eye opening.

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?

I like to hear yardages as well as give yardages when prompted or if my partner asked what I think. I usually don't say what club I'm hitting, but I may say I'm planning on a 165 yard distance (if the hole was playing 150 but steeply uphill) for example. Not necessarily information, but I also like to play first if my partner and I are near each other. Let him see my line or how the ball reacts with the slope.

Finally getting caught up, it's been an adventurous last few days, but just wanted to say my RR prep is still in full swing. I'm currently on travel across the country for my job and that is a bummer, but fortunately I'm in beautiful San Diego. My work days are long but I've been hitting the gym at the hotel hard because I'm determined. I'm also working hard to wrap up my work early and get a round in amidst this beautiful weather.

Short game and more short game is the focus!

I'm excited to get out on a course soon and see how the putting reps are treating me. I love that this event has caused me to tolerate putting practice!

Finally getting caught up, it's been an adventurous last few days, but just wanted to say my RR prep is still in full swing. I'm currently on travel across the country for my job and that is a bummer, but fortunately I'm in beautiful San Diego. My work days are long but I've been hitting the gym at the hotel hard because I'm determined. I'm also working hard to wrap up my work early and get a round in amidst this beautiful weather.

Short game and more short game is the focus!

San Diego - sounds brutal bro lol!

I'm having a tough time getting out and practicing right now. We are going through some major changes at work and I spend every sunlit hour at the office, which honestly isn't hard to do this time of year. I'm working on losing weight and increasing my flexibility though so once I can get out, I'll be in a better physical state to play.

I was describing this event to someone yesterday, they said it sounded pretty cool. I encouraged them to check out THP and get involved. Man, there I go encouraging someone to increase the odds of making the team..Ha It's all good, someone once said, if we're not growing, we're dying, or something to that affect.

Love seeing all the interest form both sides.

My strategy will be to give them the "good - good" early. And later during the match have them put out around that questionable distance. If its a foot then that's one thing but a three footer is another. It does something mentally by having them pick up early. I don't want my competition to get used to watching that little white ball go into the cup.

I had this done to me by one of the local pros at my home course in a friendly match and it was eye opening.

Don't give all your strategies away to the competition! :clapp:

Don't believe in good- good. We putt everything at our course and that's exactly how I plan to play my matches! I've seen and personally missed some very short putts in my golfing career which tells me there is no such thing as a gimme, especially under competitive pressure!

Don't believe in good- good. We putt everything at our course and that's exactly how I plan to play my matches! I've seen and personally missed some very short putts in my golfing career which tells me there is no such thing as a gimme, especially under competitive pressure!
While I understand where you are coming from.

Keep in mind THP Tournaments and competitions are quite a bit different than any other tournament EVER!! While yes everyone wants to win, the primary goal is spending time with friends and enjoying the company of both sides before during and afterwards. While everyone will be battling their hardest on the course, that guy you have been trying to beat for 18 holes, will very likely be sitting next to you for a beer or dinner afterward. Don't want any awkwardness or #butthurt :D

Well, that's an interesting take.

Well, that's an interesting take.

Someome please roll video on the 18th while JB watches this happening......it'll bring back unrecorded memories from Louisiana.

When in doubt...putt it out!

Back